High-end Scanners - Recommendations Wanted

High-end Scanners - Recommendations Wanted

Post by Kevin Mart » Wed, 19 Jun 1991 05:36:47

The company I'm working with is interested in a high-end scanning system
which will provide fast OCR as well as image scanning.  The Calera CDP 9000
is promising, but for a round total of $40K or so (with workstation) it
seems to only offer black&white scans at 300 dpi.  A scanner with higher
resolution and/or grayscale or color would be preferred.

Does anyone with experience in this area have any recommendations or
pointers to companies which have models in this arena?  We're talking about
a system which would ultimately serve an entire plant if possible, with
someone working constantly doing OCR and image scanning for people in
various departments.

We'd also like to find something which has a chance of working with the
Calera TopScan Professional interface card.  We use that with the Hewlett-
Packard ScanJet Plus as a solution on a smaller scale.

Thanks for any info, PLEASE e-mail as I cannot read regularly.

--
Kevin Martin

"Can I kiss one of the bridesmaids instead?"

Post by Matt L. Armstro » Sat, 22 Jun 1991 06:30:57

>OCR is usually done in the computer software, rather than the scanner.

Depends on the scanner, eh?  Palantir does it in the scanner itself
as well.

High-end Scanners - Recommendations Wanted

Post by Scott Hinckl » Thu, 20 Jun 1991 22:57:06

Quote:>The company I'm working with is interested in a high-end scanning system
>which will provide fast OCR as well as image scanning.  The Calera CDP 9000

OCR is usually done in the computer software, rather than the scanner.

Quote:>Calera TopScan Professional interface card.  We use that with the Hewlett-
>Packard ScanJet Plus as a solution on a smaller scale.

At the Exponent (University of Alabama, Huntsville, newspaper) we use
the ScanJet with excellent results when scanning B&W pictures and line
drawings. We do use it to scan text, but do not do OCR as we are just
pasting the text onto a newspaper page.

--
<<<<<<<<<<<Scott Hinckley<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>VW&Apple][Forever!!!>>>>>>>>>>

DISCLAIMER: All contained herein are my opinions, they do not|+1 205 461 2073
represent the opinions or feelings of Boeing or its management|  BTN:461-2073

Post by Erik Fortu » Sat, 22 Jun 1991 20:10:54

>OCR is usually done in the computer software, rather than the scanner.

Usually but not always.

Caere makes a hand scanner that spits out text. I've also seen special purpose
(large, fast and expensive) document scanners which are scanner+OCR
software all in one.

-- Erik

1. which low end scanners give high end performance?

I just got an Envisions 4E (see www.envisions.com) and am really happy with
it. This is really a UMAX Vista S-6E with much better bundled software
(Photoshop LE and Xerox Textbridge OCR). Even if you have the full PS, you
should still care about the quality of the Twain driver that comes with your
scanner. Envisions uses the driver from the high-end
UMAX scanners, so it has a full set of controls.
In the demo I got in their Fremont sales office it seemed
much more complete than the standard driver UMAX bundles
with the S6.

-------------------------------
Dave Lasker, VP Engineering
AXCIS Information Network, Inc.
4701 Patrick Henry Dr., Bldg 8
Santa Clara, CA

WWW: http://www.axcis.com
Voice: 408-727-8700 x107
Fax:   408-727-8944

2. Unsupported BMP Image File...

3. mid- to high-end board recommendations?

4. Looking For Glow Filter - Freeware?

5. High-end printer recommendations

6. OpenGL and double buffering

7. Recommendations on low end 24 bit scanner

8. Happy Yultide

9. Help Please- High End Scanner Advice Needed

10. ___ * High-End Prepress Scanner - Cheap!

11. FS: Nikon LS-3510AF -- HIGH END SCANNER

12. ___ * High-End Prepress Scanner - Cheap!

13. info on high-end scanners