Polyray

Post by Alexander Enzman » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00

If the .obj file has u/v values for the object vertices (some do, some
don't), then those will be used.  If it doesn't, then the object
coordinates will be used.

Xander

> How does Polyray calculate the UV coordinates of .obj objects?

Polyray

Post by Tommy T-Re » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Alexander, I love Polyray!   Are you going to come up with a new version of
your great program?

Tommy

Post by Alexander Enzman » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Alexander, I love Polyray!   Are you going to come up with a new version of
> your great program?

Sort of...

I've rewritten almost all of the rendering parts of Polyray in C++ and
made it a DLL.  You can use it in it's current state as a plugin to
Moray.  I made the decision that I really didn't want to be the
maintainer of a language in addition to a renderer.  Scene generation
and shading are done through an API (WINAPI or Java).

For example, for the Moray plugin, I simulate all the POV-Ray textures
with a whole bunch of C++ classes external to Polyray (they are within
the actual Moray plugin).  When texturing is needed, the texture objects
provide the appropriate values back to the renderer.  Building the tree
of objects happens right from Moray's internal representation of a
scene.  The benefit here is there really isn't an intermediate parsing
stage necessary - it's all memory to memory transfers.

I've been working with Lutz to provide a reasonably full featured
animation capability for Moray.  You will be able to use either Polyray
or POV-Ray to render the frames, which are then either dumped as image
files or assembled into AVI's.

Work on it is slow as I have accumulated two more kids since the last
release of Polyray.

Xander

Polyray

Post by Tommy T-Re » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> > Alexander, I love Polyray!   Are you going to come up with a new version
of
> > your great program?

> Sort of...

> I've rewritten almost all of the rendering parts of Polyray in C++ and
> made it a DLL.  You can use it in it's current state as a plugin to
> Moray.  I made the decision that I really didn't want to be the
> maintainer of a language in addition to a renderer.  Scene generation
> and shading are done through an API (WINAPI or Java).

> For example, for the Moray plugin, I simulate all the POV-Ray textures
> with a whole bunch of C++ classes external to Polyray (they are within
> the actual Moray plugin).  When texturing is needed, the texture objects
> provide the appropriate values back to the renderer.  Building the tree
> of objects happens right from Moray's internal representation of a
> scene.  The benefit here is there really isn't an intermediate parsing
> stage necessary - it's all memory to memory transfers.

> I've been working with Lutz to provide a reasonably full featured
> animation capability for Moray.  You will be able to use either Polyray
> or POV-Ray to render the frames, which are then either dumped as image
> files or assembled into AVI's.

> Work on it is slow as I have accumulated two more kids since the last
> release of Polyray.

> Xander

Thanks for the info!

Tommy

Polyray

Post by Steven Jone » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I like Polyray the way it is. I enjoy the intellectual challenge of
scripting animations plus Polyray has features the renderer version does
not, e.g. particle systems.