TSENG 4000 and 3DStudio don't mix

Post by Dan Shipl » Tue, 07 Apr 1992 11:05:47

Hi, all!

I have a TSENG-4000 based board called the Helios HiRez 1280.  It supports
1280x1024 in 16 colors NON-INTERLACED.  I am having problems getting
3D-Studio to work with it.  When I start up 3D-Studio, everything works, but
my computer acts like it switched down to 1MHz or something... you can watch
the characters being drawn up on the screen!  I only have this problem with
3D-Studio.  None of my other software exhibits this problem.  Also, there
seems to be a LOT of hard disk activity while this is going on (like memory
paging).  I have a 33MHz 486 with 8 megs of RAM and a 240 Mb hard-drive
(Quantum with a 256K on board cache) and a Colorado 250 Mb tape backup.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Dan
   dshipley at cs.umr.edu
or r092592  at apollo.civil.umr.edu     (The University of Missouri - Rolla)
or dan      at ee.umr.edu                    UMR ... The BLACK HOLE !!!
!

TSENG 4000 and 3DStudio don't mix

Post by Stefan Hartma » Wed, 15 Apr 1992 03:27:42

Quote:>Hi, all!
>I have a TSENG-4000 based board called the Helios HiRez 1280.  It supports
>1280x1024 in 16 colors NON-INTERLACED.  I am having problems getting
>3D-Studio to work with it.  When I start up 3D-Studio, everything works, but
>my computer acts like it switched down to 1MHz or something... you can watch
>the characters being drawn up on the screen!  I only have this problem with
>3D-Studio.  None of my other software exhibits this problem.  Also, there
>seems to be a LOT of hard disk activity while this is going on (like memory
>paging).  I have a 33MHz 486 with 8 megs of RAM and a 240 Mb hard-drive
>(Quantum with a 256K on board cache) and a Colorado 250 Mb tape backup.
>Thanks in advance for any help...
>Dan
>--
>   dshipley at cs.umr.edu
>or r092592  at apollo.civil.umr.edu     (The University of Missouri - Rolla)
>or dan      at ee.umr.edu                    UMR ... The BLACK HOLE !!!
>!

Hi,
just disable all the HIMEM.sys and EMM386.sys drivers in your config.sys !

3D-Studio is a protected mode program and is runs at best when there is no
other memory manager !

By the way, how do they produce a ET4000 based NON-Interlaced board at
1280x1024 ?
I only saw interlaced board at this resolution. Is there a new RAMDAC
out that can handle higher pixel-frequencies ?
What horizontal and vertically scanning frequencies does the card produce in
1280x1024 non-interlace ??

Best regards, Stefan Hartmann,c/o Workshop for
Decentral Energy Research

1. HELP: Tseng 4000 Linear addressing

In Ferraro's book "Programmer's guide to the EGA and VGA cards", he
talks about the ability to map the Tseng Labs ET4000 chips megabyte
of memory into high memory with the use of a DOS extender but does
not really elaborate.

I have been using PHARLAP 286 and Borland c++ to try and accomplish
this task.  But it seems that whenever I access a memory location offset
from a000 by more than 64k it is just ignored.

If anyone could either send or post a short code segment giving an
example of how such a task is accomplished it would be greatly
appreciated, I am sure that there are MANY people out there who are just
as confused about this as I am.

THANKS!!!!

Adamn Nemitoff

2. nForce on the Mac?

3. Tseng 4000 Chipset Tech info ??

4. How to point Quicktime images to LViewPro?

5. Tseng 4000 Data Book

6. Computer Generated Holograms: Where?

7. wanted: VESA driver for Tseng 4000 on Diamond Speedstar

8. MSVC 4.0 and OpenGL -- one step forward, ten steps back :(

9. Need help on programming Tseng 4000 VGA

10. Help with TSENG 4000 VGA and C-Sources needed

11. GIF viewer for Diamond SpeedSTAR VGA (Tseng 4000) extended modes

12. Need help in programing a TSENG 4000 video card

13. Tseng ET 4000 W/32