Help scanning newspaper and magazines.

Post by Jonathan Easterlin » Mon, 07 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Hi I am using a Mustek 800sp scanner, and Photoshop.

> I am trying to scan magazines and have not been able to get a nice scan after
> adjusting it with Photoshop.

> A friend of mine owns a UMAX Se or is that S6? and when he scans ,his driver
> allows him to select a filter (descreen) and that does the trick.

> On the other hand I don't have a setting like that and am having trouble using
> Photoshop to descreen , unspeckle and remove and Moire patterns.

> I am a newbie at Photoshop and any help would be appreciated.

> Thanks in advance

> Danny

try this i have had good luck with this techneque(sp)
   when you get the best scan you can do a very light gaussuen blur (.5
or less)this tends to remove most of the morea (sp) and speckels. start
small on the blur

Post by joe en el ciudad de los angele » Tue, 08 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Hi I am using a Mustek 800sp scanner, and Photoshop.

> I am trying to scan magazines and have not been able to get a nice scan after
> adjusting it with Photoshop.

> A friend of mine owns a UMAX Se or is that S6? and when he scans ,his driver
> allows him to select a filter (descreen) and that does the trick.

> On the other hand I don't have a setting like that and am having trouble using
> Photoshop to descreen , unspeckle and remove and Moire patterns.

> I am a newbie at Photoshop and any help would be appreciated.

> Thanks in advance

> Danny

The basic process I use to remove moire patterns is to open up the file
and look at each channel (Red, Green, and Blue) - see the little dotty
patterns? Apply a Filter - Gaussian Blur - to each one individually,
JUST enough to make the dottiness less apparent, that'll usually do the
trick.

Try that

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/3384
http://www.earthlink.net/~artlung

Post by Christopher Wo » Wed, 09 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> The basic process I use to remove moire patterns is to open up the file
> and look at each channel (Red, Green, and Blue) - see the little dotty
> patterns? Apply a Filter - Gaussian Blur - to each one individually,
> JUST enough to make the dottiness less apparent, that'll usually do the
> trick.

> Try that

Better than using Gaussian Blur is the Dust and Scratches filter which
attempts to preserve edge integrity while blurring the rest of an image.
You'll never get great descreening results, but this tend to do the trick
for many image. Of course, you'll want to unsharp mask the image after
doing your editing.

Christopher

Post by Tim Auco » Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Hi I am using a Mustek 800sp scanner, and Photoshop.

>I am trying to scan magazines and have not been able to get a nice scan after
>adjusting it with Photoshop.

>A friend of mine owns a UMAX Se or is that S6? and when he scans ,his driver
>allows him to select a filter (descreen) and that does the trick.

>On the other hand I don't have a setting like that and am having trouble using
>Photoshop to descreen , unspeckle and remove and Moire patterns.

>I am a newbie at Photoshop and any help would be appreciated.

>Thanks in advance

>Danny

Hi,
I am also a newbie to Photoshop, but may be able to help you out.
I'm not too sure what versions have what tools available. I am using version
3.0.5, and there is a filter called "despeckle" which does what you are trying
to do. It does a great job for me at making screened images look continous
toned.

Hope this helps,

Tim.

_________________________________
   TIMCO CONSULTING & DESIGN
 P.O. Box #20242, Calgary Place
Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2P 4J4
 http://www.cadvision.com/timco
_________________________________

Post by Elzo Smi » Mon, 14 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Can I ask a somewhat different question - let's say you're scanning
> something from a magazine, and there's some strongly contrasting text
> and images on the back of the page - when you scan it, all this comes
> through, and it's sometimes a tedious process to remove it. Has anyone
> got some bright ideas about how to deal with that?
> DW

Yes, there is a perfect and simple solution for this:
Put a black piece of paper behind it.

 -------------------------------
/                                \   top of (flatbed) scanner
----------------------------------

----------------------------------   black paper

----------------------------------   original image

----------------------------------
I                                I
I                                I   scanner
I                                I
I                                I
----------------------------------

My english is not good enough to explain it.The image on the back will
'shine through', but so will al the black.

--

Wanneer komt je studiefinanciering binnen:
http://www.ib-groep.nl/cgi-redactie/httpayday?netscape

Welke wegen zijn er vandaag opengebroken in Groningen:
http://www.noord.bart.nl/~elzosmid/ce.html

Help scanning newspaper and magazines.

Post by Gugge T?rnqui » Wed, 16 Oct 1996 04:00:00

23:29:38 +1000:

Quote:>   Can I ask a somewhat different question - let's say you're scanning
>   something from a magazine, and there's some strongly contrasting text
>   and images on the back of the page - when you scan it, all this comes
>   through, and it's sometimes a tedious process to remove it. Has anyone
>   got some bright ideas about how to deal with that? On line art, it
>   sometimes is better to photocopy the page and scan that if it's not
>   meant for any great production, but this is useless when you really want
>   to scan in something that needs high resolution.

A simple trick I use to prevent 'see-trough' is to use a black paper
behind the original when I scan. Not high-tech, but efficient.

http://www.netg.se/~gugge/Gugge-eng.htm      (english)
http://www.netg.se/~gugge/index.htm      (svensk)
State Lottory: A tax on people who don't understand statistics

Post by Cdto » Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>23:29:38 +1000:

>>   Can I ask a somewhat different question - let's say you're scanning
>>   something from a magazine, and there's some strongly contrasting text
>>   and images on the back of the page - when you scan it, all this comes
>>   through, and it's sometimes a tedious process to remove it. Has anyone
>>   got some bright ideas about how to deal with that? On line art, it
>>   sometimes is better to photocopy the page and scan that if it's not
>>   meant for any great production, but this is useless when you really want
>>   to scan in something that needs high resolution.

>A simple trick I use to prevent 'see-trough' is to use a black paper
>behind the original when I scan. Not high-tech, but efficient.

The best trick I've found is to use the image->adjust->brightness
Darkness and "burn" out any show though.  Move the brightness bar to
the left until the back ground is gone, and move the contrast bar over
to strengthen your picture.

Post by Pubgrou » Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > I am trying to scan magazines and have not been able to get a nice scan after
> > adjusting it with Photoshop.
> The basic process I use to remove moire patterns is to open up the file
> and look at each channel (Red, Green, and Blue) - see the little dotty
> patterns? Apply a Filter - Gaussian Blur - to each one individually,
> JUST enough to make the dottiness less apparent, that'll usually do the
> trick..

Another method is to choose Noise - Dust&Scratches with a pixel radius of 1.

Help scanning newspaper and magazines.

Post by Espen Grimsgaar » Wed, 23 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> > > I am trying to scan magazines and have not been able to get a nice
scan after
> > > adjusting it with Photoshop.
> > The basic process I use to remove moire patterns is to open up the file
> > and look at each channel (Red, Green, and Blue) - see the little dotty
> > patterns? Apply a Filter - Gaussian Blur - to each one individually,
> > JUST enough to make the dottiness less apparent, that'll usually do the
> > trick..
> Another method is to choose Noise - Dust&Scratches with a pixel radius of

1.

Or even better.. Use Noise|Despeckle .. Thats what it's for...

Espen Grimsgaard, telemark / info / media

Post by Chong Zte Sia » Wed, 23 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > > I am trying to scan magazines and have not been able to get a nice
scan after
> > > adjusting it with Photoshop.
> > The basic process I use to remove moire patterns is to open up the file
> > and look at each channel (Red, Green, and Blue) - see the little dotty
> > patterns? Apply a Filter - Gaussian Blur - to each one individually,
> > JUST enough to make the dottiness less apparent, that'll usually do the
> > trick..
> Another method is to choose Noise - Dust&Scratches with a pixel radius of 1.
> Try Umax scanner with the Descreen filter.

1. Help scanning newspaper and magazines.

try this i have had good luck with this techneque(sp)
   when you get the best scan you can do a very light gaussuen blur (.5
or less)this tends to remove most of the morea (sp) and speckels. start
small on the blur

2. Printing Size Troubles

3. Cleaning up Scanned Newspaper, HELP !

4. one colorable graph?

5. would like to produce my own newspaper or magazine

6. Fingerprints search engine SDKs

7. Help needed in Scanning Magazine pages - sample.JPG (1/1)

8. Help needed in Scanning Magazine pages - sample.JPG (0/1)

9. Need images scanned in newspaper