pen query

Post by ptrappe » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 01:51:01

Hello All,
I am contemplating purchasing a graphics pen such as from Wacom.  Anyone
have any prefs on brand or features?  Mostly wondering if it is worth
spending twice the $ for twice as many pressure settings? (500->1000 I
believe) or tablet size.
I am just a newbie, doing newbie things, but hate to buy one then before
long wish I had spent the extra for a better one.  $150 cdn for the 'ruby',
'saphire' etc is about going price for low end.  Would that be ok to start
with or...
Thanks

pen query

Post by Cliff Ott » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 03:13:31

Quote:> Hello All,
> I am contemplating purchasing a graphics pen such as from Wacom.
> Anyone have any prefs on brand or features?  Mostly wondering if it is
> worth spending twice the $ for twice as many pressure settings?
> (500->1000 I believe) or tablet size.
> I am just a newbie, doing newbie things, but hate to buy one then
> before long wish I had spent the extra for a better one.  $150 cdn for
> the 'ruby', 'saphire' etc is about going price for low end.  Would
> that be ok to start with or...
> Thanks

How do you contemplate using the tablet? Will it be for retouching
images, painting new ones, etc.? I think that for the average user the
simple fact of possessing a tablet will outweigh getting one that is
larger or that has higher pressure settings. I use an old Wacom ArtPad
II, which is 4x5 inches  in dimensions and is at the lower-end in
pressure settings. I use it for retouching photos, tracing outlines with
the point-to-point vector tool to create selections, and occasionally
drawing pictures. Never have I felt the need to replace my tablet with a
more sophisticated one.

One factor you might consider in addition to cost and increased
sensitivity are the physical dimensions of the various tablets. Mine has
only a 4x5 drawing area, but the whole thing is 7x7.25 in area.

--
Cliff
dashdotdashdotdashdashdash at myrealbox dot com

pen query

Post by Reckles » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 05:05:13

I recently got a Wacom Volito which was pretty cheap at 40. It has 512
pressure levels and a reasonable resolution. It's the first time I've ever
used a pen so I need lots of practise :)

Quote:> Hello All,
> I am contemplating purchasing a graphics pen such as from Wacom.  Anyone
> have any prefs on brand or features?  Mostly wondering if it is worth
> spending twice the $ for twice as many pressure settings? (500->1000 I
> believe) or tablet size.
> I am just a newbie, doing newbie things, but hate to buy one then before
> long wish I had spent the extra for a better one.  $150 cdn for the
'ruby',
> 'saphire' etc is about going price for low end.  Would that be ok to start
> with or...
> Thanks

pen query

Post by ptrappe » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 05:22:41

Quote:

> How do you contemplate using the tablet? Will it be for retouching
> images, painting new ones, etc.? I think that for the average user the
> simple fact of possessing a tablet will outweigh getting one that is
> larger or that has higher pressure settings. I use an old Wacom ArtPad
> II, which is 4x5 inches  in dimensions and is at the lower-end in
> pressure settings. I use it for retouching photos, tracing outlines with
> the point-to-point vector tool to create selections, and occasionally
> drawing pictures. Never have I felt the need to replace my tablet with a
> more sophisticated one.

> One factor you might consider in addition to cost and increased
> sensitivity are the physical dimensions of the various tablets. Mine has
> only a 4x5 drawing area, but the whole thing is 7x7.25 in area.

Thanks Cliff, my uses would be similar to yours.  Mostly touchup.  I just
have never used a tablet before and was not sure what to expect.  The lower
end end Wacom will likely do me just fine for some time.

On another note, I do not see my original post here and your reply was on
its own....can anyone advise me on that one?

Thanks again,
ptrapper

pen query

Post by Cliff Ott » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 06:23:20

[...]

Quote:> On another note, I do not see my original post here and your reply was on
> its own....can anyone advise me on that one?

That's just the nature of news servers. Your ISP either runs their own or
taps into another service, but they don't necessarily update them in real-
time. If your ISP is running their own server(s), you may see your response
shortly after you post it; if not, it could be an hour or more (or never,
if it gets lost).

--
Cliff
dashdotdashdotdashdashdash at myrealbox dot com
(think Morse, replace with appropriate symbols)

pen query

Post by Jackie Laderout » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 08:07:24

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 15:23:20 -0600, Cliff Otto

>[...]
>> On another note, I do not see my original post here and your reply was on
>> its own....can anyone advise me on that one?

>That's just the nature of news servers. Your ISP either runs their own or
>taps into another service, but they don't necessarily update them in real-
>time. If your ISP is running their own server(s), you may see your response
>shortly after you post it; if not, it could be an hour or more (or never,
>if it gets lost).

You might also see the replies out of order, or never at all,
depending on what servers your ISP pulls their newsfeeds off of -
Usenet propagation is much better than it once was, but it still
happens.

You can always check Google if you think you've missed anything, but
keep in mind that there is quite a delay involved.

Jackie

--
< o \"/  Don't play cat and mouse with me!                         (

*****************************************************************/\o/\

pen query

Post by Shadowfa » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 08:32:58

>> How do you contemplate using the tablet? Will it be for
>> retouching images, painting new ones, etc.? I think that for the
>> average user the simple fact of possessing a tablet will outweigh
>> getting one that is larger or that has higher pressure settings.
>> I use an old Wacom ArtPad II, which is 4x5 inches  in dimensions
>> and is at the lower-end in pressure settings. I use it for
>> retouching photos, tracing outlines with the point-to-point
>> vector tool to create selections, and occasionally drawing
>> pictures. Never have I felt the need to replace my tablet with a
>> more sophisticated one.

>> One factor you might consider in addition to cost and increased
>> sensitivity are the physical dimensions of the various tablets.
>> Mine has only a 4x5 drawing area, but the whole thing is 7x7.25
>> in area.

> Thanks Cliff, my uses would be similar to yours.  Mostly touchup.
> I just have never used a tablet before and was not sure what to
> expect.  The lower end end Wacom will likely do me just fine for
> some time.

> On another note, I do not see my original post here and your reply
> was on its own....can anyone advise me on that one?

> Thanks again,
> ptrapper

I second Cliff's opinion.  I'd get the Graphire for now.  4" x 5" is
plenty of space for retouching, the larger tablets simply require you
to make larger hand movements.  Some may prefer that, but I'm not one
of them.

When you get it, force yourself to use if for *everything* for a day or
two.  It will be uncomfortable at first, but you'll soon wonder why you
put the purhase off so long ;^)

--
Scott

**Remove the NO and SPAM from my e-mail address to reply**

pen query

Post by Mike » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 08:38:10

Quote:> You can always check Google if you think you've missed anything, but
> keep in mind that there is quite a delay involved.

Just remember that there are people like Jackie that will delete their
messages from Google.

":^) ?

--
                      Mike

             € Logo Design €
  Put some fun in your next logo!

Site at:  http://www.artistmike.com

pen query

Post by ptrappe » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 09:19:43

> I recently got a Wacom Volito which was pretty cheap at 40. It has 512
> pressure levels and a reasonable resolution. It's the first time I've ever
> used a pen so I need lots of practise :)

> I second Cliff's opinion.  I'd get the Graphire for now.  4" x 5" is

Quote:> That's just the nature of news servers. Your ISP either runs their own or
> taps into another service, but they don't necessarily update them in real-
> time. If your ISP is running their own server(s), you may see your
response
> shortly after you post it; if not, it could be an hour or more (or never,
> if it gets lost).

Thanks to everyone for the input.  The graphire it shall be to start..
And re my ISP -  'slow' and 'never' are definately familiar terms...
ric