Problem: Connecting SGI O2 with Epson projector

Problem: Connecting SGI O2 with Epson projector

Post by Hongyu Zhan » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Dear professional guys,

Does anyone have the experience connecting SGI O2 to Epson projector
(PowerLite 7000) ?

The trouble I have is that after hooking up the two machines (O2 and
projector) and power on them, I can only see a X windows login window
and cannot login the computer. As we know, normally one should see a
clogin window (it displays a window contaning two areas. The top area
contains icons representing each of the users who can log onto the
system. The bottom area contains a text field into which the user can
type a login name).

The problem of X-window login window is that I cannot login the machine.
After I typed the username and password, the monitor stuck there and has
a blank screen forever. But on the other hand, I still can telnet into
the O2 from other computers. It means that the main unit of computer is
working,but it has trouble in identifying the correct monitor type.

In normal state (computer hooked up with its own monitor), the graphics
information (/usr/gfx/gfxinfo) is:

Graphics board 0 is "CRM" graphics.
        Managed (":0.0") 1280x1024
        32 bitplanes
        board revision 2, CRM revision C, GBE revision B

When things turn wrong ( hooking the computer with the projector), the
graphics information is:

Graphics board 0 is "CRM" graphics.
        Managed (":0.0") 1280x1024
        32 bitplanes
        board revision 2, CRM revision C, GBE revision B

From the bottom line, one can see that the monitor type in the latter
changed to a wrong type "SEC 161". To my knowledge, one can only yse
command "setmon" to change the monitor resolution and frequency etc. but
not monitor type).

I will be grateful to receive any advice !

-- Hongyu
Hongyu Zhang, Ph.D.          | Tel:  (301) 738-6117 (w)   ^/..\^
CARB, University of Maryland |       (301) 987-0179 (h) -m( 00 )m-
9600 Gudelsky Drive          | Fax:  (301) 738-6255

Problem: Connecting SGI O2 with Epson projector

Post by Max Waterma » Sat, 02 May 1998 04:00:00

Well, this is an odd one :-)

One suggestion would be to break out the monitor cable to RGB and then back
down to whatever the projector uses. This would isolate whatever pins in the
cable are being used to detect the type of monitor.

Max.

> Dear professional guys,

> Does anyone have the experience connecting SGI O2 to Epson projector
> (PowerLite 7000) ?

> The trouble I have is that after hooking up the two machines (O2 and
> projector) and power on them, I can only see a X windows login window
> and cannot login the computer. As we know, normally one should see a
> clogin window (it displays a window contaning two areas. The top area
> contains icons representing each of the users who can log onto the
> system. The bottom area contains a text field into which the user can
> type a login name).

> The problem of X-window login window is that I cannot login the machine.
> After I typed the username and password, the monitor stuck there and has
> a blank screen forever. But on the other hand, I still can telnet into
> the O2 from other computers. It means that the main unit of computer is
> working,but it has trouble in identifying the correct monitor type.

> In normal state (computer hooked up with its own monitor), the graphics
> information (/usr/gfx/gfxinfo) is:

> Graphics board 0 is "CRM" graphics.
>         Managed (":0.0") 1280x1024
>         32 bitplanes
>         board revision 2, CRM revision C, GBE revision B

> When things turn wrong ( hooking the computer with the projector), the
> graphics information is:

> Graphics board 0 is "CRM" graphics.
>         Managed (":0.0") 1280x1024
>         32 bitplanes
>         board revision 2, CRM revision C, GBE revision B

> From the bottom line, one can see that the monitor type in the latter
> changed to a wrong type "SEC 161". To my knowledge, one can only yse
> command "setmon" to change the monitor resolution and frequency etc. but
> not monitor type).

> I will be grateful to receive any advice !

> -- Hongyu
> Hongyu Zhang, Ph.D.          | Tel:  (301) 738-6117 (w)   ^/..\^
> CARB, University of Maryland |       (301) 987-0179 (h) -m( 00 )m-
> 9600 Gudelsky Drive          | Fax:  (301) 738-6255

Max Waterman.
[use of information in this message is at your own risk]

Problem: Connecting SGI O2 with Epson projector

Post by Scott A. Reynold » Tue, 05 May 1998 04:00:00

I too have seen this and have this 'solution'.  Boot the machine blind,
that is, without connecting the projector.  You can then connect the
projector and everything will be fine.  Apparently the O2 will assume
that you are still connected to the monitor that you normally use.

Scott

> > Dear professional guys,

> > Does anyone have the experience connecting SGI O2 to Epson projector
> > (PowerLite 7000) ?

1. LCD-Projector from Epson and SGI

Have you got the external sync signals connected. Some LCD projectors
need this separate sync signal insted of the usual sync on green. For
complete connection you need 5 connectors (RGB + vsync + hsync).

/Per

2. Compiling QT4 source on Win.

3. HELP: Epson 800 printer on SGI-O2

4. New Animation posted

5. Help: Epson 800 printer on SGI-O2

6. Writing on Canvas

7. X/Allocation problem (SGI O2 - IRIX6.3)

8. SGI O2 mediarecorder problem

9. [= SGI O2 X/Font problem - Need Help! =]

10. GLX Pixmap problem on SGI O2

11. Performance problems porting from SGI O2 to NT

12. Need help connecting HMD to O2