How do I customize Filemaker Pro to operate without a specific dialog box

How do I customize Filemaker Pro to operate without a specific dialog box

Post by Ryan Ashto » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hello users,

I work for a sound studio where I have set up a database of over 7000
records which were previously transferred from an Atari.

I have set up most of the database to operate quite nicely, however there
are still a few things, after all these months that are still bugging me. I
think that this is a problem for a real branstormer.

I have one layout called "View" with which to veiw all my records.  Then, of
coarse I also have a "Find" layout with which to perform finds.  On the
"View" layout, I have created a button which takes me to the "Find" layout
by performing the following script.
                ->Go To Layout ["FIND"]
                ->Enter Find Mode [Restore, Pause]
                ->Perform Find [ ]
                ->Allow User Abort [Off]
                ->Sort [Restore, No Dialog]
                ->Go To Layout ["VIEW"]

Then, once on the "Find" Layout, I have another 2 buttons, one is "Cancel",
the other "Continue", which alternately Cancel or continue the FIND.

The Script for the "Cancel" button goes as follows,
                ->Enter Browse Mode [ ]
                ->Go To Layout [Refresh window, "VIEW"]
                ->Halt Scipt

On the "Continue" button I just have the Control, "Resume Script"

The problem is that when I enter criteria in the find for which there are no
matching records, a dialog box comes up that says "No Records Match This
Request", along with a choice of "Cancel", Continue" and "Modify Find".
Everything is fine if I choose "Modify Find".  But if I choose "Cancel",
then I enter Browse mode, but stay on the "Find" layout, which I don't want.
If I choose "Continue", then I enter the "View" layout with no records in
it, which is also fine.

If possible, I would like to get rid of the "No Records Match This Request"
Dialog box and replace it with a "No Records Match This Request", Comment
box, with the only button being, "Modify Find".

If that is not possible, then I would like to take away the "Cancel" and
"Continue" buttons that I created, and instead have Filemaker Pro take me to
the required layout when I press the "Cancel" button in the "No Records
Match This Request" Dialog box".

I have to run Filemaker Pro without the Status Area, because it has to be
very user-friendly, on account that alot of people use the program, some of
whom are barely computer-literate.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Post by Chuck Gardn » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>>Hello users,

>>I work for a sound studio where I have set up a database of over 7000
>>records which were previously transferred from an Atari.

>>I have set up most of the database to operate quite nicely, however there
>>are still a few things, after all these months that are still bugging me. I
>>think that this is a problem for a real branstormer.

>>I have one layout called "View" with which to veiw all my records.  Then, of
>>coarse I also have a "Find" layout with which to perform finds.  On the
>>"View" layout, I have created a button which takes me to the "Find" layout
>>by performing the following script.
>>                ->Go To Layout ["FIND"]
>>                ->Enter Find Mode [Restore, Pause]
>>                ->Perform Find [ ]
>>                ->Allow User Abort [Off]
>>                ->Sort [Restore, No Dialog]
>>                ->Go To Layout ["VIEW"]

>>Then, once on the "Find" Layout, I have another 2 buttons, one is "Cancel",
>>the other "Continue", which alternately Cancel or continue the FIND.

>>The Script for the "Cancel" button goes as follows,
>>                ->Enter Browse Mode [ ]
>>                ->Go To Layout [Refresh window, "VIEW"]
>>                ->Halt Scipt

>>On the "Continue" button I just have the Control, "Resume Script"

>>The problem is that when I enter criteria in the find for which there are no
>>matching records, a dialog box comes up that says "No Records Match This
>>Request", along with a choice of "Cancel", Continue" and "Modify Find".
>>Everything is fine if I choose "Modify Find".  But if I choose "Cancel",
>>then I enter Browse mode, but stay on the "Find" layout, which I don't want.
>>If I choose "Continue", then I enter the "View" layout with no records in
>>it, which is also fine.

>>If possible, I would like to get rid of the "No Records Match This Request"
>>Dialog box and replace it with a "No Records Match This Request", Comment
>>box, with the only button being, "Modify Find".

>>If that is not possible, then I would like to take away the "Cancel" and
>>"Continue" buttons that I created, and instead have Filemaker Pro take me to
>>the required layout when I press the "Cancel" button in the "No Records
>>Match This Request" Dialog box".

>>I have to run Filemaker Pro without the Status Area, because it has to be
>>very user-friendly, on account that alot of people use the program, some of
>>whom are barely computer-literate.

It's amazing you used the "Allow User to Abort [off] function without
stumbling upon the one adjecent to it in the script command list; "set
error capture [on]".  It traps the FMP error dialogs. For custom find
error recovery use this technique:

Create global text fields for all your "find" criteria (i.e., a global for
each regular field you need to perform a find on.  This totally eliminates
the chance a numb-nuts user will enter find criteria while still in the
browse mode, obliterating live data (it happens to the best of us).  Then
your find script is triggered by a button on the layout with the globals
which does this:

error capture[on]
Enter Find Mode   -->  no restore or pause here
paste result[Field1, gCriteria1]
paste result[Field2, gCriteria2]
paste result[Field3, gCriteria3]

and so on...

Perform Find [ ]
if[Status(CurrentFoundCount)=0]
   Display Message ["No matching criteria found" Try Again,Exit]
   if(Status(CurrentMessageChoice=2)
      goto layout "your bailout layout"
      exit script
   else
      goto layout "find input layout"
      exit script
   end if
end

Its handy to have a "clear" button on your find input layout to clear the
globals:

set field [gCriteria1," "]
set field [gCriteria2," "]
...etc.

BTW - Did you know there's now a comp.databases.filemaker NG?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
cgardner-at-nova.org * http://super.nova.org
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Post by mich.. » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Hello users,

> I work for a sound studio where I have set up a database of over 7000
> records which were previously transferred from an Atari.

> I have set up most of the database to operate quite nicely, however there
> are still a few things, after all these months that are still bugging me. I
> think that this is a problem for a real branstormer.

> I have one layout called "View" with which to veiw all my records.  Then, of
> coarse I also have a "Find" layout with which to perform finds.  On the
> "View" layout, I have created a button which takes me to the "Find" layout
> by performing the following script.
>                 ->Go To Layout ["FIND"]
>                 ->Enter Find Mode [Restore, Pause]
>                 ->Perform Find [ ]
>                 ->Allow User Abort [Off]
>                 ->Sort [Restore, No Dialog]
>                 ->Go To Layout ["VIEW"]

> Then, once on the "Find" Layout, I have another 2 buttons, one is "Cancel",
> the other "Continue", which alternately Cancel or continue the FIND.

> The Script for the "Cancel" button goes as follows,
>                 ->Enter Browse Mode [ ]
>                 ->Go To Layout [Refresh window, "VIEW"]
>                 ->Halt Scipt

> On the "Continue" button I just have the Control, "Resume Script"

> The problem is that when I enter criteria in the find for which there are no
> matching records, a dialog box comes up that says "No Records Match This
> Request", along with a choice of "Cancel", Continue" and "Modify Find".
> Everything is fine if I choose "Modify Find".  But if I choose "Cancel",
> then I enter Browse mode, but stay on the "Find" layout, which I don't want.
> If I choose "Continue", then I enter the "View" layout with no records in
> it, which is also fine.

> If possible, I would like to get rid of the "No Records Match This Request"
> Dialog box and replace it with a "No Records Match This Request", Comment
> box, with the only button being, "Modify Find".

> If that is not possible, then I would like to take away the "Cancel" and
> "Continue" buttons that I created, and instead have Filemaker Pro take me to
> the required layout when I press the "Cancel" button in the "No Records
> Match This Request" Dialog box".

> I have to run Filemaker Pro without the Status Area, because it has to be
> very user-friendly, on account that alot of people use the program, some of
> whom are barely computer-literate.

> Any help would be appreciated.

> Thanks,

FMP has error trapping, and messaging.  Look in the help system for
"Status(CurrentError)" and that should explain error trapping.  "Show
Message" will let you put up your own dialog box with whatever button
you want, and you can continue your script after the user presses a
button.

Yours,
  Michael

1. Styles WITHOUT the dialog box!!

STYLES BY EXAMPLE (A LA MICROSOFT WORD)

Most intermediate users of PM know how to define a new style based on
existing formatting. This is documented on p. 137 of the PM6.5 User Guide.
But what these users often don't realise is that, if you want to redefine
any of your existing styles, you can use a technique similar to the one you
used above to make the style. This almost completely removes the need to use
the Define Style dialog, and means that you can format and preview exactly
how you want your paragraph to look before you create/edit the paragraph
style tag based on it. Here's how:

1. To create a new style based on existing formatting, select the para by
triple clicking. 2. Hold down Command (Mac) or Ctrl (PC) and click No Style
in the Style palette. 3. Type a name for the new style in the Style Options
dialog box, and click OK.

If after a while you decide to make a design change and redefine the
attributes for a paragraph, by-pass the Define Style dialog malarkey by
following this procedure.

1. Find a paragraph with the paragraph style applied which you need to
change, and highlight it. Let's say the style is called Subhead A. 2. Now,
using all of PM's text formatting commands, format the para to how you want
the paragraph style to change. 3. Hold down Command (Mac) or Ctrl (PC) and
click No Style in the Style palette. 4. Type the name of the existing style
in the Style Options dialog. This must match EXACTLY what you called the
style in the first place - capitalization, spaces and all. Here you would
type Subhead A. Press OK. 5. PM will display another dialog, asking whether
you want to replace the style. Click OK.

2. Reference for technical models?

3. How to set compression in VfW video capture VB app without using the dialog box

4. any simple graphics shareware? (like xv for Windows)

5. On Open Dialog & Save Dialog Box

6. World Coords vs. Local Coords.

7. new demos

8. Customizing printer dialog

9. customize a printing dialog?

10. Adobe Acrobat/Filemaker Pro

11. FileMaker Pro 3.0 Problem 1(Sub-summary)