SoftImage general questions

Post by Sergey Gordee » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

Hello, All!

  Does anybody have toturials about SoftImage for beginners? If you do,
please, write me a letter. Now I have couple of questions:

  - please, explain me a basic principles of working with textures and
materials in SI. Where should I load textures?

  - How to set background (either solid color or image)?

 - How to create a realistic looking water and sky?

 - what is Mental Ray, what it may do and how it works?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Bye! Serge.

SoftImage general questions

uh oh....here we go again!

Post by Gianfranco Milan » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

> Hello, All!

>  - what is Mental Ray, what it may do and how it works?

 but.... what is Softimage ??
(sorry Serge...)

--
               ______________    -------------------------------------
              /   _______   /\             Gianfranco Milani

                                   http://www.univ.trieste.it/~nirtv/
                                 -------------------------------------

SoftImage general questions

Post by si_us » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

I would say the best place to start is with the manuals that the software
came with.  There is one in particular, the "Self Training Workbook."

>  Does anybody have toturials about SoftImage for beginners? If you do,
>please, write me a letter. Now I have couple of questions:

>  - please, explain me a basic principles of working with textures and
>materials in SI. Where should I load textures?

>  - How to set background (either solid color or image)?

> - How to create a realistic looking water and sky?

> - what is Mental Ray, what it may do and how it works?

>Thanks a lot for your answers.

>Bye! Serge.

SoftImage general questions

Post by Craig Wilkin » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

Sergy ,

Run a search for softimage tutorials and you will find a wealth of info.
Softomage is quite complex and will take you some time to learn. Be
patient.

Craig

> Hello, All!

>   Does anybody have toturials about SoftImage for beginners? If you do,
> please, write me a letter. Now I have couple of questions:

>   - please, explain me a basic principles of working with textures and
> materials in SI. Where should I load textures?

>   - How to set background (either solid color or image)?

>  - How to create a realistic looking water and sky?

>  - what is Mental Ray, what it may do and how it works?

> Thanks a lot for your answers.

> Bye! Serge.

SoftImage general questions

Post by ALKON » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

HI SERGEY.

Check some URL may be it's will help you:
www.3drender.com
www.lumis.com
www.itsnet.com/~dgallagr
http://dlf.future.com.au/scotty
For your texture question check nice tutorial at:
www.vfs.com/~alejandp/botuto.htm
Check 3drender.com links..You will find lot's of tutorials to answer your
questions.

You can get info on MentalRay on SI web-site ( i don't remember they URL).

And get nice tutorial book from
http://www.coriolis.com/cgi-win/tipsheet.exe/tipsheet?name=softimgd

SOFTIMAGE|3D DISIGN GUIDE. Cost only 39.99
Nice book for beginers.

Good luck

SoftImage general questions

Post by Craig Wilkin » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

Sergey,

    Forgot to mention......put Mr. Skinner in your killfile. You'll get
nothing but grief from that flaming *. On a more serious note if you
search hard enough you can find the softimage manuals in pdf form (Adobe
Acrobat) residing on some of the better stocked ftp sites.

Good Luck

Craig

> Hello, All!

>   Does anybody have toturials about SoftImage for beginners? If you do,
> please, write me a letter. Now I have couple of questions:

>   - please, explain me a basic principles of working with textures and
> materials in SI. Where should I load textures?

>   - How to set background (either solid color or image)?

>  - How to create a realistic looking water and sky?

>  - what is Mental Ray, what it may do and how it works?

> Thanks a lot for your answers.

> Bye! Serge.

SoftImage general questions

Post by pass it o » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

whoa sergei, you poor guy, you just got a serious flaming.
people round here are pretty touchy about warez versions of soft.
You should ask around the warez groups to find someone who has the 100+
megs of scanned manual pages for you to download (get yer t1 ready eh?)

This is one mother to learn man, if we all explained we'd be blue in the
face. You gotta do your own internet research with the search engines,
and find those manuals, and buy the softimage design guide (its kinda
basic, sounds like its at your level) which actually has a decent
explanation of texturing, or buy Jeremy Birns or David gallaghers
video's.

Otherwise, maybe switch to another program for a while while you search
out this stuff. Questions about basic concepts that are self evident or
well covered in manuals will always get you a whuppin here.

good luck, perserverence is the key to success.

> Hello, All!

>   Does anybody have toturials about SoftImage for beginners? If you do,
> please, write me a letter. Now I have couple of questions:

>   - please, explain me a basic principles of working with textures and
> materials in SI. Where should I load textures?

>   - How to set background (either solid color or image)?

>  - How to create a realistic looking water and sky?

>  - what is Mental Ray, what it may do and how it works?

> Thanks a lot for your answers.

> Bye! Serge.

1. SoftImage/Maya: a general question

Do you have any sense that one is "preferable" over the other, in
terms of what's most marketable when job hunting [I know geographical
area makes some difference in the number of work opportunities], or is
it like comparing apples to oranges? Through Mesmer I can take both
courses... or either.

I ask because I just found out that because more thorough training
there [and consequently longer] will be offered in the form of
essentially three months for **each** course, instead of the former
three months combined.

And in response to the expected question "What do you want to do [with
one or the other]?" I can't answer yet: just getting into the field. I
have degrees in technical and biomedical illustration [with related
graphic design] and have been working in both since 1982.

Thanks in advance for your input.

--
Jim Nevermann
Boeing Everett

2. remote displaying from sgi

3. General Question

4. OpenGl in MDI Windows (yes .. but how ?)

5. SCED question: How to create general 3D shape ?

6. ==wts: Vue d'Espirit Landscape Generator +more==

7. Very general newbie questions

8. great animated gif site!

9. General question about Taboo Microsoft Publisher

10. General Programming Questions

11. Graphics File Formats FAQ (Part 1 of 4): General Graphics Format Questions

12. Graphics File Formats FAQ: General Graphics Format Questions (Part 1 of 4)

13. Low-level question about TIFF (not general interest)