Formac SGI TFT Monitor - Web Question

Post by S.Roulston » Sun, 14 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying the SGI Flat panel monitor from Formac (
http://www.formac.co.uk/prosgi.htm ) for use with a G4, however I have a
question concerning screen resolutions.

With my 17" CRT monitor I create graphics for my web pages at 72dpi, and
they look ok across different platforms,  72 pixels=1 inch.
However in the spec sheet for the SGI monitor it says that the screen
dot pitch is 110 dpi.

Does this mean that if I create web images using the SGI monitor at 72
dpi, the images will look smaller? , and does this mean that web pages
over all will look smaller on the SGI compared with a CRT monitor?

I hope that makes sense!

Thanks

Simon

Remove the fox from quorndon when replying by email, thankyou.

Post by Stephe » Sun, 14 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> I am thinking of buying the SGI Flat panel monitor from Formac (
> http://www.veryComputer.com/) for use with a G4, however I have a
> question concerning screen resolutions.

> With my 17" CRT monitor I create graphics for my web pages at 72dpi, and
> they look ok across different platforms,  72 pixels=1 inch.
> However in the spec sheet for the SGI monitor it says that the screen
> dot pitch is 110 dpi.

> Does this mean that if I create web images using the SGI monitor at 72
> dpi, the images will look smaller? , and does this mean that web pages
> over all will look smaller on the SGI compared with a CRT monitor?

> I hope that makes sense!

> Thanks

> Simon

well it does indeed make sense but there are a few thinsg to understand
here, mainly the difference between screen dpi and browser rendering dpi.
   The dot pitch you are talking about so far as I am aware, refers to
the max resolution that the monitor is able to display, now whilst this
is 110 dpi, it is posibble that you can change resolutions so that you
retain a 72dpi resolution, and ajusting the resolution will alter how
big things made up of a set number of pixcels will appear on your screen.
   However very few people actualy have monitors that are set to 72dpi
anymore, 640*480 on a 14inch monitor is 72dpi, and hardly anyone uses
this, similarly i think 832*624 is 72dpi on a 17 inch monitor but most
people run at higher resolutions on 17inch monitors (i know I do)
   It may well be that although your web design is designed for browsers
that RENDER at 72dpi your screen or certainly many that the web pages
are views upon are set to a higher resolution, (all mac browsers except
ie5 which you can select the rendering resolution use 72 dpi, most
windows browsers render at 96dpi).
   The main situation where rendring dpi impacts on web design in my
experience is people designing on windows where the browsers they
preview in render at 96 dpi and then using small text which is too *y
tiny to be legible when rendered at 72dpi (less dots per unit area mean
smaller point sizes are made up out of less dots at lower dpi)
   So esentialy screen dpi and browser rendring dpi are two independant
factors, if you change one the other is not altered, and if your web
pages layout looks ok rendered at 72 dpi viewed at a high res on your
monitor they weill also look okay viewed at a low res on your monitor,
only they will be bigger.
   Seeing as you can never control what a arbitrary viewers monitor size
or prefered resolution is going to be you have to try and compromise
your layout and text sizes so that things will look god for most people.

Stephen

--
I really am sorry about the poor spelling, its a software fault.
remove the nospam for replying

1. Help needed Formac 19/400 monitor

I have just bought a Formac 19/400 monitor to use on a G4/400 AGP Mac
The problem is that the name of the monitor that appears at the top of the
monitors control panel keeps randomly changing whenever I restart or turn on
the computer.
Sometimes it is a VGA display other times an AT1099DA-1, the resolutions I
can choose depend on which type it comes up as (loads of choice with VGA)
Formac support have got to the usual we don't know what is going on, you are
on you own type of advice.
I guess that the plug and play of the Mac or Monitor is knackered.
Also is it usual when the Mac is off and the monitor on, for the monitor to
come up with the no signal found message.
Has anyone else had a similar problem (I've looked and can't find anything),
is the monitor a bad'un or is there a way to force the Mac to select a
particular monitor.

Thanks in advance

Mat

2. Find out the normals

3. Monitor Problem (Formac 17/500 & PB1400)

4. Print to File as workaround?

5. Formac Monitor - settings, anyone??

6. OneScanner without lamp

7. VDS.sgi Silicongraphisc 1600sw + carte video proformance 3D marque Formac pour MAC

8. Virus Warning

9. TFT monitor

10. OT - LCD &TFT monitors for graphics?

11. Dell FP2000 TFT Monitor opinions ?