anti-aliased fonts

Post by David R. Di » Tue, 24 Jan 1995 10:56:55

Does anyone know where to get anti-aliased fonts?

I believe that's the proper name for the fonts
whose appearance is improved by each character
being more than one color, with lighter pixels
in corners, where the character should appear smoother.

It's really tough to do this by hand, for each letter.

David*

anti-aliased fonts

Post by Andrew Cro » Wed, 25 Jan 1995 11:02:45

Does anyone know where to get anti-aliased fonts?

I believe that's the proper name for the fonts
whose appearance is improved by each character
being more than one color, with lighter pixels
in corners, where the character should appear smoother.

It's really tough to do this by hand, for each letter.

David*

You cannot buy anti-aliased fonts, they do not come this way.
You can create anti-aliasing when using an image manipulation application
such as PhotoShop (anyone using anything else!?!).
Anti-aliasing is a feature of this application that helps smooth the edges of
raster-based objects, such as type.

Andrew Croft,
ClubMac, Toronto

anti-aliased fonts

Post by Andrew Cro » Wed, 25 Jan 1995 11:02:45

Does anyone know where to get anti-aliased fonts?

I believe that's the proper name for the fonts
whose appearance is improved by each character
being more than one color, with lighter pixels
in corners, where the character should appear smoother.

It's really tough to do this by hand, for each letter.

David*

You cannot buy anti-aliased fonts, they do not come this way.
You can create anti-aliasing when using an image manipulation application
such as PhotoShop (anyone using anything else!?!).
Anti-aliasing is a feature of this application that helps smooth the edges of
raster-based objects, such as type.

Andrew Croft,
ClubMac, Toronto

anti-aliased fonts

Post by Butch Hau » Thu, 26 Jan 1995 09:28:37

Quote:> Does anyone know where to get anti-aliased fonts?

> I believe that's the proper name for the fonts
> whose appearance is improved by each character
> being more than one color, with lighter pixels
> in corners, where the character should appear smoother.

> It's really tough to do this by hand, for each letter.

You can't buy anti-aliased fonts. This is usually a task that can be
done by certain graphics programs. I know Photoshop can do this type of
work, but I'm sure there are other (cheaper) ways of doing it.

Butch Hauke

-----------------
Space Systems Maintenance Supervisor/Technician
U.S. Air Force
-----------------
In space, no one can hear you whine!

anti-aliased fonts

Post by Lawrence D1Olivei » Thu, 26 Jan 1995 13:10:33

Quote:>Does anyone know where to get anti-aliased fonts?

>I believe that's the proper name for the fonts
>whose appearance is improved by each character
>being more than one color, with lighter pixels
>in corners, where the character should appear smoother.

>It's really tough to do this by hand, for each letter.

It's absolutely pointless doing it by hand, since the algorithms are
well-known. You can do it using either QuickDraw or QuickDraw GX with just
a few calls. The only drawback is it's s-l-o-w. That's why it's not done
more commonly.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-7-856-2889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-7-838-4066

Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+13:00

anti-aliased fonts

Post by Simon Buckingham Sh » Thu, 26 Jan 1995 19:02:31

> Does anyone know where to get anti-aliased fonts?

Andrew Croft replies:

Quote:> You cannot buy anti-aliased fonts, they do not come this way.
> You can create anti-aliasing when using an image manipulation application
> such as PhotoShop (anyone using anything else!?!).

Yep, I was after exactly such a util, but without having to buy
Photoshop! Found one in info-mac called, appropriately enough,
AntiAlias. If I recall correctly, it was in:

ftp://sumex-aim.stanford.edu/info-mac/grf/util/

You read in an image (text or graphics), and then can reduce it
by a range of factors, giving nice results (at least as far as I
can tell, not being an anti-aliasing guru  ;-).

Something similar at same site was called Debump, but couldn't get it
to work. Interested to know if anyone has tired any other
free/shareware.

Simon

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Simon Buckingham Shum::Human-Computer Interaction Group::U.York::UK
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

anti-aliased fonts

Post by Dan Fli » Fri, 27 Jan 1995 06:28:36

Does anyone know where to get anti-aliased fonts?

I believe that's the proper name for the fonts
whose appearance is improved by each character
being more than one color, with lighter pixels
in corners, where the character should appear smoother.

It's really tough to do this by hand, for each letter.

Anti-aliased fonts are regular fonts imported into a (pixel based) paint
program (like Photoshop> which anti aliases them when you import them, or
you can make them anti-aliased within the type dialog box by * the anti-
aliased box (in Photoshop). P.S they print fuzzy on a laser printer due to
the grey, being converted into dots.

  /-/      NJMUG  BBS      \-\    New Jersey Macintosh Users Group    /-/
 /-/      908.388.1676      \-\     http://www.intac.com/njmug/      /-/

anti-aliased fonts

Post by Thierry de Baill » Sun, 29 Jan 1995 23:31:15

Anti-aliased fonts can be realised with Type 3 Postscript fonts. A program
like Fontographer will allow you to draw multi-bits fonts.

Thierry

anti-aliased fonts

Post by tohspa » Thu, 02 Feb 1995 06:16:30

: Anti-aliased fonts can be realised with Type 3 Postscript fonts. A program
: like Fontographer will allow you to draw multi-bits fonts.

------------------------

Etc, etc, etc.

Check out Greg's Browser, the latest version.
It sports fantastic looking _real-time_ anti-aliased fonts for directory
listings. I for one, would love to see that in more software. It looks
amazing.

1. anti-aliased fonts

I don't understand how you could 'anti alias' a font without first knowing the
background against wich the font will be drawn !!!!

Anti aliasing require a blending like algorythm between the font and the
background if you don't have them in advance, it is impossible to generate
the font in my opinion.

Vincent Nonnenmacher
DPI

- sent via an evaluation copy of BulkRate (unregistered).

       (33-1) 49 83 86 49           |  Fax            :(33-1) 49 83 81 17

2. AVI Graphics Format Overview

3. Anti-aliased fonts

4. GANAR

5. anti-aliased fonts

6. Video image under X window

7. Looking for: Toolkit for Anti-Aliased fonts

8. anti aliased font; using color

9. anti-aliased fonts

10. Anti-Aliased Fonts

11. anti-aliased fonts