[= SGI O2 X/Font problem - Need Help! =]

[= SGI O2 X/Font problem - Need Help! =]

Post by Thor Rasmuss » Fri, 23 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I have a problem with an SGI O2 workstaion. There are a couple
of GUI applications where the size of the fonts in the "buttons"
is too large, making it very difficult to read as well as looking
bad. There are other O2 systems that do not experience this problem.

There are no "dot" files that I can see in the home directorys
that look like they have anything to do with this.
I have tried logging with different logins, but the problem still
exists.

I suspect there is a system wide configuration for the X defaults
or fonts that is causing this problem. Unfortunatly, I don't have
enough experience with SGI's to know where the system wide X
and font settings are done.

If you have any suggestions or help, please send me an email!

Post by Alexis Cousei » Sat, 24 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> I have a problem with an SGI O2 workstaion. There are a couple
> of GUI applications where the size of the fonts in the "buttons"
> is too large, making it very difficult to read as well as looking
> bad. There are other O2 systems that do not experience this problem.

That's your X server dpi setting that's probably different (see
xdpyinfo) if the monitors they're hooked up to are different (or report
ID differently) or different font paths, and maybe a program insisting
on not specifying sizes in points but pixels (which, in X, gives you a
wierd pixels -> dpi -> let's-see-in-the-font-path -> ah,font
->pixels,but-not-necessarily-what-you-asked-for).

For monitors, the dpi setting is found from files after querying the
VESA string and matching entries, and you can edit these to cheat to
report other dpis (there's also a flag for the X server, but that's
unimplemented). I've done that for someone on this newsgroup once. See
man moninfo and /var/X11/Xvc contents.

Sometimes, setting another dpi size fonts in the font path first helps
(if the app just asks for a font without specifying dpi).