Ray Dream Designer 4 vs ???

Post by Peter Coh » Sat, 20 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I just got some promotional material for RDD 4.0- $99, including a "bonus"
Vivid Details CD. Is this program a worthwhile 3D illustration package, or
are there other tools in the price range that are considerably better?

--

Mac Arcade Games Page: http://www.tikkabik.com/mac_arcade.html
"It is much easier to apologize than it is to get permission."

Ray Dream Designer 4 vs ???

Post by Michael Eile » Sat, 20 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> I just got some promotional material for RDD 4.0- $99, including a "bonus"
> Vivid Details CD. Is this program a worthwhile 3D illustration package, or
> are there other tools in the price range that are considerably better?

there is absolutely nothing in the price range that is better,
peroid--because the next jump up is $190! Seriously, I looked for a long
time, and RDD is definitely the easiest-to-use modeler and produced the
best-quality output of the under-$500 packages. If you get Ray Dream
Studio ($199?) you will also have full animation capabilites, plus 500
example models and a CD-ROM full of textures & etc, plus some features
(inverse kinematics, plug-in arcitecture, soft shadows, quicktime
rotoscoping) that aren't available on packages costing $1000...

michael

not an employee, just a satisfied user...

\  /\  /|   F E A R F U L  S Y M M E T R Y  D E S I G N S
 \ \/ / |                  >-------------<
  \  /  |      Web Page Grfx * Logos * Fractal Images
\  \/  /|       3-D Models & Rendering * Web Design
/  /\  \|        Copywriting * Flyers * Brochures
  /  \  |
 / /\ \ |    <http://aruba.ccit.arizona.edu/~eilersm>

| "Om is where the art is, God is where a fart is."
|                                   --The Residents
|
| "Windows 95: You wanted to go WHERE yesterday??"

Ray Dream Designer 4 vs ???

Post by rden.. » Sun, 21 Jan 1996 04:00:00

There are many things about RayDream Studio I dislike after using it
for a while.
1: unexplainable surface anomalies in models, i.e., a _flat_ plane
rendered with valleys in it!  I had one simple pill shaped,
flattened sphere that behaved differently in my PPC than it did on
my 040 machine...

2: anti-aliasing in this package stinks--doing 3D for multimedia?
you only need to render at 72dpi, well, when objects are rendered at
72dpi in RD the anti-aliasing is not that great.

3:  still a bit buggy with crashes, although not as v3.x

4:  no Quickdraw 3d support yet, alhtough it is forthcoming.

You might read MacWeek's review.  It says the same things but in
more detail.

I find that I cannot use the software dependably in my production
environment.

       --speed is the triumph of effect over cause
<robert denton>
<artist>
<portland, maine>
<no affiliation>

1. Ray Dream Designer 4.0 Vs.Studio Upgrade??

--------------16EB7F2211E

If anyone reads this post and Knows how these news groups please get in
contact with me I have Questions and this is my first post and I have
got to get to work now.E-mail me or can I veiw a post Later?(Attachment
Made with Fractal Design)

--------------16EB7F2211E

<encoded_portion_removed>
IAICADs=
--------------16EB7F2211E--

2. Interpolating Images

3. Ray Dream Designer 3 vs. Stratavision 3-D

4. Contact sheet

5. R. Lansdale text map thesis

6. Corel Dream/Ray Dream vs. Truespace

7. MR Shot 1/LC frame grabber Q.

8. POVRAY vs TRUESPACE vs RAY DREAM help!!!

9. To Ray Dream or Not To Ray Dream

10. Ray Dream Studio | Ray Dream 3D

11. Ray Dream 3D | Ray Dream Studio

12. FS: Ray Dream Designer 4.0