Looking for documentation software

Post by Dwight Siple » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 23:24:02

I'm new to this group so apologies if this has been answered before.

I'm looking for some software to add documentation to an image file
(.BMP, .TIF, .JPG, etc.). I have a lot of old photographs which I want
to scan for both preservation and distribution purposes. One of the
major problems with old photographs is keeping track of subjects and
provenance. What I would like is to be able to attach a text file to the
image file which describes who/what is in the photo, when it was taken,
how it came to me, etc. On photographs, you can just write on the back.
Digitally, you have to add a text file.

I think that the image and documentation have to be in the same file, so
that they do not get separated. It's easy to have an image and a .TXT
file with the same name, but it's also easy for the .TXT file to get
lost, particularly when the file gets distributed to others. Some
information can be included in the file name, but there are just not
enough characters available for photographs with groups of people or a
lot of descriptive text.

My first attempt was just to take a text file and paste it onto the back
of a .JPG file. It works, sort of: I can still view the .JPG with all
the viewers I've tried. I can view the text by sending the .JPG to a
text editor (but not all editors will work). It also works with .BMP
files.

Another possibility is to add white space to the image and put text into
the white space with an editor.

In my opinion, both these solutions lack elegance, and in the first case
viewing the added documentation is cumbersome. Does anyone know of
software that will add documentation and also allow viewing of the
documentation? If it's been done, I don't want to re-invent it.

Post by Anh Tu NGUYEN TRO » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:00:07

> I'm new to this group so apologies if this has been answered before.

> I'm looking for some software to add documentation to an image file
> (.BMP, .TIF, .JPG, etc.). I have a lot of old photographs which I want
> to scan for both preservation and distribution purposes. One of the
> major problems with old photographs is keeping track of subjects and
> provenance. What I would like is to be able to attach a text file to the
> image file which describes who/what is in the photo, when it was taken,
> how it came to me, etc. On photographs, you can just write on the back.
> Digitally, you have to add a text file.

> In my opinion, both these solutions lack elegance, and in the first case
> viewing the added documentation is cumbersome. Does anyone know of
> software that will add documentation and also allow viewing of the
> documentation? If it's been done, I don't want to re-invent it.

TIFF et JFIF (JPEG) images can store text : it's supported by the
formats.
I don't know if BMP is able to store text.

The text can be free or with a specific structure (but not stored at
the same location in the file).

The structured text fields are in IPTC-NAA format, keywords for the
press and newspapers.

I think Photoshop allow to edit comments in TIFF and JFIF files.

I've found this link (in french) "Mtadonnes : une initiation"
("Initiation to metadata"), which contains several links to software.

Some software are dedicated to add or edit IPTC-NAA comments.
Perhaps you can use this format for your own usage.

IPTCExt 1.1 seems to be interesting :
http://www.photothumb.com/IPTCExt

The EXIF format (it's an extension to TIFF and JFIF) is able to store
information : it's used by digital cameras.
It contains a lot of fields, specific to photography.

Hope this helps.

ATNT

Looking for documentation software

Post by Dwight Siple » Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:46:34

I found that IrfanView does what I want, at least for JPEG files. Now if
I can get something similar for BMP or TIFF files I'll be happy.

1. Looking for Amapi Documentation

Hi Iam desperately looking for the documentation for the
Amapi 3D modeling program.  Either windows version or 3d
studio Ipas version.  I have the demo and I will buy it if I
can get the docs first.  I have purhcased most every Ipas for

2. .eps to .gif or .jpg?

3. Looking for documentation on heightfields

4. video toaster nt and the sgi 320.

5. Looking for Quicktime Documentation

6. 2 or more axes to plot; printed manual

7. Looking for .bmp-documentation

8. looking for radiosity sample!

9. Want: PC Vision Frame-grab Software/Documentation

10. Need TIFF documentation and software

11. Anim8or Free Software Update: New Version, More Documentation

12. Looking for Amapi Documentation