applying transform matrices to vectors/normals

applying transform matrices to vectors/normals

Post by jason ivers » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 09:38:06

hi all,

in prman SL, how do do i apply a transformation matrix to a normal or to
a vector? (in vmantra, it's a multiply process.)

i cannot find any reference to this in the Companion or ARMan Companion.

i am wanting to perturb a normal by doing this

matrix mat;
mat=1;
rotate( mat, .5, my_vector);
N *= mat;     /* here i want to apply the matrix */

thanks,

--
jason iversen
 technical director

 [  ...it looked really funky, there were evil llamas dancing on
    hot coals, polygons were falling freely from the models like
    little flakes of shedding skin.  i figured it must have
    something to do with what you changed because i didn't even
    have the monitor turned on...  ]   -arthur gregory

data+[ w(310)314-2800x2305 http://odforce.net h(310)314-6337 ]data-

applying transform matrices to vectors/normals

 i just found vtransform() - doh!

--
jason iversen
 technical director
  digital domain

 [  ...it looked really funky, there were evil llamas dancing on
    hot coals, polygons were falling freely from the models like
    little flakes of shedding skin.  i figured it must have
    something to do with what you changed because i didn't even
    have the monitor turned on...  ]   -arthur gregory

data+[ w(310)314-2800x2305 http://odforce.net h(310)314-6337 ]data-

1. Applying Transform Matrix to Nodes

Hi,

        I need to apply the transformation matrix of one object to another in
Inventor.  Basically I have a cube in one window, which can be scaled,
moved and rotated using a manipulator and I would like to apply these
scales, moves and rotates to other objects in separate windows.  If
anyone has done this and they have some example code (there is none in
the book (Inventor Mentor)) I would appreciate your help...

Regards,
Chris.

Christian Petzny                                Design Researcher

http://interaction.brunel.ac.uk/~dtpgcwp/       +44(0)1784 431341

2. Lotus 1-2-3 Font Format

3. Applying a Matrix Transform to a Vertex Buffer

4. Need Help!

5. Idiot's guide to transform matrices and vector maths

6. Screensavers?

7. Camera Vector to Camera matrix transform

8. Transforming a vector with the current transformation matrix

9. Transforming a normal vector by a matrix

10. Calculating normals of a transformed generic raytraced object?

11. Transforming Normals

12. Calculating normals of a transformed generic raytraced object?