MidNight Modeller?

Post by Stefan Viljoe » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 19:28:44

Hi

I am looking for the MidNight modeller - the author's site seems to have
dropped off the net and I cannot find it anywhere - even the older DOS
versions.

Anybody got any info at all?

Thanks!!

--
Stfan Viljoen a. k. a. Rylan
http://home.intekom.com/rylan/

F/EMS Dispatcher
Potchefstroom Emergency Services
South Africa

"We want you to be soldiers - deadly as long as you still have one arm or
one leg and you are still alive."
 - R. A. H. in "Starship Troopers"

MidNight Modeller?

Post by Ken » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 01:34:23

> Hi

> I am looking for the MidNight modeller - the author's site seems to have
> dropped off the net and I cannot find it anywhere - even the older DOS
> versions.

The program is history.

MidNight Modeller?

Post by Rodolph » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 21:33:35

dos version :
http://www.gelaude.net

regard

--
Rodolphe
galerie: http://www.gelaude.net

> Hi

> I am looking for the MidNight modeller - the author's site seems to have
> dropped off the net and I cannot find it anywhere - even the older DOS
> versions.

> Anybody got any info at all?

> Thanks!!

> --
> Stfan Viljoen a. k. a. Rylan
> http://home.intekom.com/rylan/

> F/EMS Dispatcher
> Potchefstroom Emergency Services
> South Africa

> "We want you to be soldiers - deadly as long as you still have one arm or
> one leg and you are still alive."
>  - R. A. H. in "Starship Troopers"

MidNight Modeller?

Post by Alex Magido » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 06:34:08

nor is it terribly good. If you desperately want it, I have it on my HD and
can email it to you.

> > Hi

> > I am looking for the MidNight modeller - the author's site seems to have
> > dropped off the net and I cannot find it anywhere - even the older DOS
> > versions.

> The program is history.

> --
> Ken Tyler - 1400+ POV-Ray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links:

 "A criminal is a person with predatory instincts without sufficient capital
to form a
corporation."
--Howard Scott

MidNight Modeller?

Post by Ken » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 15:40:17

> nor is it terribly good.

I have the same opinion of it.

MidNight Modeller?

Post by Stefan Viljoe » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 21:54:10

> > Hi

> > I am looking for the MidNight modeller - the author's site seems to have
> > dropped off the net and I cannot find it anywhere - even the older DOS
> > versions.

> The program is history.

Boohoo - it had one of the nicest and most logical ways of making triangle
patches I have ever seen... No other modeller I have yet tried worked as
well.

:(

--

Post by Stefan Viljoe » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 18:49:07

> > nor is it terribly good.

> I have the same opinion of it.

Hmm - oh well - I liked it!

Each to his own, I guess...

--

Post by Tim McCaule » Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:20:02

> > > nor is it terribly good.

> > I have the same opinion of it.

> Hmm - oh well - I liked it!

> Each to his own, I guess...

Ken provides an invaluable service to the Ray tracing community but I agree
with you here.

MNM was a great modeler in its day and showed  huge potential.

Lets hunt down Dave Taylor and put him back to work on the project.

He is a bit of a recluse but was very helpful when I corresponded with him.

Maybe if we can make contact with him he would be willing to pass the baton
to some one else to continue development of the MNM.

MidNight Modeller?

Post by Rodolph » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 06:00:24

Quote:

> Ken provides an invaluable service to the Ray tracing community but I
agree
> with you here.

yes, oncle Ken president

Quote:

> MNM was a great modeler in its day and showed  huge potential.

yes

Quote:> Maybe if we can make contact with him he would be willing to pass the
baton
> to some one else to continue development of the MNM.

it would be a good thing

--

Post by Alex Magido » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:49:35

> Lets hunt down Dave Taylor and put him back to work on the project.

I hear he hangs around with Mike Clifton these days...

Quote:

Post by Stefan Viljoe » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 02:00:46

> > > I have the same opinion of it.

> > Hmm - oh well - I liked it!

> > Each to his own, I guess...

> Ken provides an invaluable service to the Ray tracing community but I
agree
> with you here.

> MNM was a great modeler in its day and showed  huge potential.

> Lets hunt down Dave Taylor and put him back to work on the project.

> He is a bit of a recluse but was very helpful when I corresponded with
him.

> Maybe if we can make contact with him he would be willing to pass the
baton
> to some one else to continue development of the MNM.

Hmm - I'd REALLY like a Linux version - don't know if he'll let the source
out. It was freeware (at least the last DOS32 version I used)... if it could
go under the Gnu Licensce it would be very nice... that's an idea! An
Xwindows version. Not that I would be able to convert it - still a bit of a
baby as regards C coding and X windows programming...

Anyway, what I really liked about MNM was the way you could model triangle
patches - now THAT was a feast (for me personally) - I managed to get a hold
of an old DOS32 version and I now use it to model my triangle patches, then
export to RAW / DXF -> 3Dwin -> Moray, then finish design in Moray - works
like a charm.

--
Stfan Viljoen a. k. a. Rylan
http://home.intekom.com/rylan/

F/EMS Dispatcher
Potchefstroom Emergency Services
South Africa

"We want you to be soldiers - deadly as long as you still have one arm or
one leg and you are still alive."
 - R. A. H. in "Starship Troopers"

MidNight Modeller?

Post by phros.. » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 00:58:59

can the dos version still be downloaded from anywhere?

Quote:> It was freeware (at least the last DOS32 version I used).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

MidNight Modeller?

Post by phros.. » Fri, 15 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hmm - I'd REALLY like a Linux version -

I got the linux binary working last night (on a mdk 7.0).

1. copy your dos version, files and direcotries to where you want to
install it on your linux system.
2. edit the mnm.ini file to correct from dos paths to the linux path
where you installed it.  remove ^M's from the end of each line in the
ini file.
3. goto http://www.lamertz.net/mnm.html and down load the binary for
linux, i used the static.

it runs in X, up to 1024x768 quit well.  still playing with it.

it says that it will read and write dxf.  tonight i'm going to play with
going back and forth between it and qcad.  it would be nice to take
geometry from qcad use it to make 3D models and then crunch it back down
into qcad to make detail drawings.  not sure if this will work, but it
would add an extra option as far as cad goes.

later

--
phrostie
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of dos

Post by Stefan Viljoe » Fri, 15 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> > Hmm - I'd REALLY like a Linux version -

> I got the linux binary working last night (on a mdk 7.0).

Great! Saves me from re-inventing the weel...

I'll go and check it out...

Anybody know if Moray will go Linux soon too?

--

Post by Ken » Sat, 16 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> Anybody know if Moray will go Linux soon too?

I have asked the author of the program this question and he indicated
there is little chance of a Linux distribution in the foreseeable future.

1. Midnight Modeller Author?

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Any idea where I can get a hold of Dave Taylor, MidNight's creator?

Thanks you

--
Stfan Viljoen a. k. a. Rylan
http://home.intekom.com/rylan/

F/EMS Dispatcher
Potchefstroom Emergency Services
South Africa

"We want you to be soldiers - deadly as long as you still have one arm or
one leg and you are still alive."
 - R. A. H. in "Starship Troopers"

2. Help! Looking for Harvard Spotlight for Windows 1.0 Handbook

3. midnight modeller?

4. Converting bitmaps to 8bit

5. Where is Midnight Modeller?!? (Win)

6. Unbelivable...what now?? HELP

7. Midnight Modeller 3.0 for DOS

8. Optimizing stereo rendering path

9. Midnight-Modeller Alpha on 22. August

10. Midnight modeller

11. Midnight Modeller Docs?

12. Midnight Modeller

13. Midnight Modeller 3.0 Alpha 15