moving POVRay install w/out re-installing

moving POVRay install w/out re-installing

Post by Bob Dav » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 10:00:10

Anybody know how to go about moving a POVRay install folder to a
different Windows drive without having to reinstall povwin3.exe?
After I move my folder from C:\program files\povray to D:\program
files\povray when I start my pvengine.exe I get an error complaining
that it cannot find a .INI file where it expects to find it.  I'm
running version 3.02.

I cannot find my povwin3.exe file to reinstall on the different drive
and my connection is too slow to download another 5+Mb file.  If
anyone knows what file/registry entry/etc. I can modify to point
povengine.exe to the new directory, I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Bob

Post by Ken » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 10:48:51

> Anybody know how to go about moving a POVRay install folder to a
> different Windows drive without having to reinstall povwin3.exe?
> After I move my folder from C:\program files\povray to D:\program
> files\povray when I start my pvengine.exe I get an error complaining
> that it cannot find a .INI file where it expects to find it.  I'm
> running version 3.02.

You really should consider upgrading soon. POV-Ray v3.5 will be released
in the next couple of months and it will definately be worth your while
to upgrade.

Quote:> I cannot find my povwin3.exe file to reinstall on the different drive
> and my connection is too slow to download another 5+Mb file.  If
> anyone knows what file/registry entry/etc. I can modify to point
> povengine.exe to the new directory, I'd much appreciate it.

Use the search function in regedit and search for the word POV-Ray.
It shouldn't be too difficult to find the right keys to edit.

--
Ken Tyler

moving POVRay install w/out re-installing

Post by Bob H » Sun, 12 Aug 2001 19:05:26

I could make a educated guess and say you need to try two things there:

1) Go into the subfolder  POV-Ray for Windows v3.0\ini  and edit the
pvengine.ini so that where ever it says C: it will say D: (unless it's a
pointer to a unmoved file).

2) Edit the Windows registry (Start|Run... regedit  {for W95/98/ME}) and
change the C:\Program Files\POV-Ray lines to D: also.  A Edit|Find will seek
all of them out.  However, I'm not so sure that's a good idea.  There are
many references to previously opened files which might not have been moved.
Perhaps a simple change and trial run is best to try, so...  if you look
for:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\POV-Ray

and then any Windows subkey you see within there, you should see a Home
entry if it's anything like v3.1.  Just right-click on that and Modify to
change C: to D:
There's also a PVENGINE.EXE key too (in fact, pairs of both those.  One in
Users another in LocalMachine).  Wouldn't hurt to press F3 repeatedly to
search for any and all C:\Program Files\POV-Ray instances, I know there's
one pointing to the icon too.

Anyhow, changing just those Home entries is all I'd try first (NO, try the
pvengine.ini file edit first!), that way if anything goes wrong you can
easily change it back, or easier still (and a must) backup your registry
file before even trying it.  !!!default Disclaimer: always know what you're
doing when messing with Windows Registry!!!

Sorry for the delayed reply, hope this works for you but hey, I'd rather
suffer the 5MB DL.

Bob H.

Quote:> Anybody know how to go about moving a POVRay install folder to a
> different Windows drive without having to reinstall povwin3.exe?
> After I move my folder from C:\program files\povray to D:\program
> files\povray when I start my pvengine.exe I get an error complaining
> that it cannot find a .INI file where it expects to find it.  I'm
> running version 3.02.

> I cannot find my povwin3.exe file to reinstall on the different drive
> and my connection is too slow to download another 5+Mb file.  If
> anyone knows what file/registry entry/etc. I can modify to point
> povengine.exe to the new directory, I'd much appreciate it.

> Thanks,
> Bob

1. Can't install Q329623 - needed to install Epson 3200 Pro Scanner

As soon as I try to install, I get a message which reads: Setup could not
verify the integrity of the file Update.inf.  Make sure the Cryptographic
service is running on this computer.  The installation of the update then
stops.  I need this file in order to install my new Epson 3200 Pro scanner.
Any suggestions?

Bobby

2. Max Manuals adequate?

3. povray install help

4. MkLinux gnuplot

5. can't install 6 part povray 3.0 download

6. Re-installing 5.5, do I need to re-install 5.0 first?

7. Install PIv.50 upgrade w/o 4.x install?

8. install barbie

9. Just installed ICQ Plus - Now What?