Looking for tech Jedi - res, printing, ect

Looking for tech Jedi - res, printing, ect

Post by Ezra Kor » Mon, 24 Mar 2003 17:47:03

Somebody please help bring me up to speed with the following questions! I will
be enormously appreciative and return the favor of education back into the world!

1. How does a bitmap image differ from a vector image?
2. The quality of a vector image printer output is determined by what?
3.The quality of a bitmap image printer output is dertermined by what?
4. What is Raster Image Processing?
5. Are all display imagery pixel-based?
6.Define the term Postscript. What is it and what is its application?
7.What are some strengths of vector based software?
8.What is one cause of the "banding" that sometimes occurs when vector shapes
with graded fills are output?
9.What are some of the advantages of converting vector data to bitmap data
before sending the data for output?
10.When converting vector data to bitmap data, you must always answer two
questions. What are they?
11.What is the minimum resolution required for professional line
drawing reproduction?
12.How do you determine the necessary resolution required for color
reproduction?
13.The number of possible color choices for each pixel in an image is
called what?
14.An 8 bit color system (indexed color) has how many possible color
choices for each pixel, and how is this number determined?
15. What is the best display resolution for reading text on a 19"
monitor?
16.You have created a 6" x 8" full color illustration in Photoshop at
300ppi in CMYK mode for a client. The client now requests a version of the
file for Web publication that is 360 pixles wide. What steps would you
take in Photoshop to prepare this illustration for the Web?
18. A digital image is 200 x 300 pixels. If this image is 1.25" wide,
whaat is the resolution of the image? How did you arrive at the answer?
19. What is Bicubic resampling?
20. If a document in Photoshop reads 100% RGB how does this size relate
to the size the image will appear in a Web browser?
21.Define the terms image resolution and divise resolution (laser printer).
What is the primary difference between the two?
22. If you are scanning a watercolor illustration to prepare it for
digital printing, and you will be printing the illustration and 3/5
its original size, from a printer that has a resolution of 2540 dpi
and a linescreen of 150 lpi, at what resolution should you scan the image?
22. If we change the resolution of a bitmap image from 150 dpi to 450dpi
keeping the file size the same, and the original size of the image
is 9" wide by 12" tall, what will the new size be?
23.What is the size of each halftone cell for a 1200 dpi printer set
at 80lpi? How many gray levels are available?
24. A PowerPoint slide is always 10' wide by 7.5" tall. You will be
viewint the slide on a PC with a screen res of 96dpi. You are creating'a
background illustration that you want to completely fill the PowerPoint
slide. At what size pixels and resolution will you need to create
the illustration.
28.Now you are developing a PowerPoint presentation for a Mac with a
Screen res of 80ppi. What will you need to do to prepar the background
illustration in the previous question, so it will fill the slide of
the Mac?
29. You are creating a bitmap illustration for a magazine cover that is
8.5" x 11". The cover will be printed at a line screen of 133lpi. How many
total pixels should your image consist of?
30. What is the file size of a 4" x 5" CMYK image that is 350 ppi. Show the
calculation.

Looking for tech Jedi - res, printing, ect

Post by Kiri » Mon, 24 Mar 2003 19:44:47

Maybe you should attend university, Ezra. Leave a seat for me, cause I also
haven't got a clue how to answer these questions, except for the first one
(sort of).
1. A vector uses mathematics to 'know' it's size and position, and therefor
the quality doesn't change when enlarging or rotating. A bitmap (raster)
must loose/add pixels to do the same thing and looses quality in the
process.

That's it from me, folks! See you next year, same time, same class.

Kiri

Quote:> Somebody please help bring me up to speed with the following questions! I
> [...]

> viewint the slide on a PC with a screen res of 96dpi. You are creating'a
> background illustration that you want to completely fill the PowerPoint
> slide. At what size pixels and resolution will you need to create
> the illustration.
> 28.Now you are developing a PowerPoint presentation for a Mac with a
> Screen res of 80ppi. What will you need to do to prepar the background
> illustration in the previous question, so it will fill the slide of
> the Mac?
> 29. You are creating a bitmap illustration for a magazine cover that is
> 8.5" x 11". The cover will be printed at a line screen of 133lpi. How many
> total pixels should your image consist of?
> 30. What is the file size of a 4" x 5" CMYK image that is 350 ppi. Show
the
> calculation.

Looking for tech Jedi - res, printing, ect

Post by Roy Peterse » Mon, 24 Mar 2003 20:51:05

Quote:>Maybe you should attend university, Ezra.

I could be wrong Kiri, but from reading the questions, it sounds like
this is a cut and pasted quiz from a course. You *might* be helping
someone with his homework here..;)

Post by Shadowfa » Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:37:49

Quote:> Somebody please help bring me up to speed with the following
> questions! I will be enormously appreciative and return the favor
> of education back into the world!

[snip]

Surely, youve got to be kidding?  Did you miss a few days of
classtime?

--
Scott

**Remove the NO and SPAM from my e-mail address to reply**

Post by Uni » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 03:29:44

> Somebody please help bring me up to speed with the following questions! I will
> be enormously appreciative and return the favor of education back into the world!

No, no, no!! You don't barge into a newsgroup, asking many questions,
and expect people to shower you with answers! First, you have to give
these people an incentive. So, just say you're considering buying PSP
and taking a LVS course, then you'll get all your questions answered. If
that doesn't work, then say you like Kiri's music (personally, I've
heard dogs in heat produce more pleasant sound :) and that may be your
ticket to success! Or better yet, tell Fugi you like his blur art, and
he'll get Krissy to personally answer your questions.

If all the above fails and you don't get your questions answered, then
just say "Adobe ROCKS!!!" and kiss this newsgroup good-bye!!

:-)

Uni

Quote:

> [...]
> viewint the slide on a PC with a screen res of 96dpi. You are creating'a
> background illustration that you want to completely fill the PowerPoint
> slide. At what size pixels and resolution will you need to create
> the illustration.
> 28.Now you are developing a PowerPoint presentation for a Mac with a
> Screen res of 80ppi. What will you need to do to prepar the background
> illustration in the previous question, so it will fill the slide of
> the Mac?
> 29. You are creating a bitmap illustration for a magazine cover that is
> 8.5" x 11". The cover will be printed at a line screen of 133lpi. How many
> total pixels should your image consist of?
> 30. What is the file size of a 4" x 5" CMYK image that is 350 ppi. Show the
> calculation.

Looking for tech Jedi - res, printing, ect

Post by Shadowfa » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 08:00:30

Quote:> No, no, no!! You don't barge into a newsgroup, asking many
> questions, and expect people to shower you with answers! First,
> you have to give these people an incentive. So, just say you're
> considering buying PSP and taking a LVS course, then you'll get
> all your questions answered. If that doesn't work, then say you
> like Kiri's music (personally, I've heard dogs in heat produce
> more pleasant sound :) and that may be your ticket to success! Or
> better yet, tell Fugi you like his blur art, and he'll get Krissy
> to personally answer your questions.

> If all the above fails and you don't get your questions answered,
> then just say "Adobe ROCKS!!!" and kiss this newsgroup good-bye!!

Why dont you do his exam for him than, Uni?  Show us all how helpful
and unlike us you are.
--
Scott

**Remove the NO and SPAM from my e-mail address to reply**

Looking for tech Jedi - res, printing, ect

Post by Porte » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:10:18

"Ezra Kortz"

Quote:> Somebody please help bring me up to speed with the following questions! I
will
> be enormously appreciative and return the favor of education back into the
world!

> 1. How does a bitmap image differ from a vector image?

One has more math than the other.

Quote:> 2. The quality of a vector image printer output is determined by what?

Ink

Quote:> 3.The quality of a bitmap image printer output is dertermined by what?

That would be more ink.

Quote:> 4. What is Raster Image Processing?

If you can still focus after lotsa of gange mon?  Then you is processing.

Quote:> 5. Are all display imagery pixel-based?

No.  Just the ones we can see.

Quote:> 6.Define the term Postscript. What is it and what is its application?

It's those hugs and kisses, or extra begging, or extra apologies, that
happen after the signature.  Its application is widespread.  Extra credits
if you use little hearts to dot your i's.

Quote:> 7.What are some strengths of vector based software?

They don't use a lot of ink.

Quote:> 8.What is one cause of the "banding" that sometimes occurs when vector
shapes
> with graded fills are output?

Cheap monitors, or, an operator's excess of answer number #4.

Quote:> 9.What are some of the advantages of converting vector data to bitmap data
> before sending the data for output?

Bigger files and slower download speeds - leaving more time for number 4.

Quote:> 10.When converting vector data to bitmap data, you must always answer two
> questions. What are they?

How the hell did Perry Mason win ALL those cases, and, why are there always
eight hot dogs and ten buns, when everyone has birds?

Quote:> 11.What is the minimum resolution required for professional line
> drawing reproduction?

Doesn't matter.  Just blur it, drop those colors and confidently swear you
meant for it to look like that.  This works.

Quote:> 12.How do you determine the necessary resolution required for color
> reproduction?

Whatever the max that you can * out of your printer - or, just
"seriously date" a nice Jamaican.

Quote:> 13.The number of possible color choices for each pixel in an image is
> called what?

Larry, Curly and Moe.  Sometimes Shemp too, but not very often.

Quote:> 14.An 8 bit color system (indexed color) has how many possible color
> choices for each pixel, and how is this number determined?

Yatzee dice.  Two sets put together. Toss 'em, then divide by four and add
on the number of the letters in your youngest uncle's last name.  (No
kidding!)

Quote:> 15. What is the best display resolution for reading text on a 19"
> monitor?

640x 480.  It's the only res any monitor of any size should ever run!

Quote:> 16.You have created a 6" x 8" full color illustration in Photoshop at
> 300ppi in CMYK mode for a client. The client now requests a version of the
> file for Web publication that is 360 pixles wide. What steps would you
> take in Photoshop to prepare this illustration for the Web?

Open your text tool.  Type up a web bill for an additional two hundred bucks
for this latest request.  Apply it to a red and gold background with a nice
dissove drop shadow.  Clients are suckers for those colors.  With the right
shade of red, you can even go 250.

Quote:> 18. A digital image is 200 x 300 pixels. If this image is 1.25" wide,
> whaat is the resolution of the image? How did you arrive at the answer?

If you cannot spell what, then how can you confirm my math?  Okay, it's
Shemp.  Not that you deserved this answer.

Quote:> 19. What is Bicubic resampling?

The less blurry one, sometimes.

Quote:> 20. If a document in Photoshop reads 100% RGB how does this size relate
> to the size the image will appear in a Web browser?

Only the green ones.  The red and blue ones don't count.

Quote:> 21.Define the terms image resolution and divise resolution (laser
printer).
> What is the primary difference between the two?

I don't know, and don't believe in just making up answers.  N/A

Quote:> 22. If you are scanning a watercolor illustration to prepare it for
> digital printing, and you will be printing the illustration and 3/5
> its original size, from a printer that has a resolution of 2540 dpi
> and a linescreen of 150 lpi, at what resolution should you scan the image?

72 And, honestly doesn't matter if it's dpi or lpi or ppi.  :)

Quote:> 22. If we change the resolution of a bitmap image from 150 dpi to 450dpi
> keeping the file size the same, and the original size of the image
> is 9" wide by 12" tall, what will the new size be?

Lots less.

Quote:> 23.What is the size of each halftone cell for a 1200 dpi printer set
> at 80lpi? How many gray levels are available?

Kansas and Fulsom.  Sometimes Joliet.

Quote:> 24. A PowerPoint slide is always 10' wide by 7.5" tall. You will be
> viewint the slide on a PC with a screen res of 96dpi. You are creating'a
> background illustration that you want to completely fill the PowerPoint
> slide. At what size pixels and resolution will you need to create
> the illustration.

Only dweebs use PowerPoint.  Don't be a dweeb, use dry markers.

Quote:> 28.Now you are developing a PowerPoint presentation for a Mac with a
> Screen res of 80ppi. What will you need to do to prepar the background
> illustration in the previous question, so it will fill the slide of
> the Mac?

It's not any cooler on a Mac.

Quote:> 29. You are creating a bitmap illustration for a magazine cover that is
> 8.5" x 11". The cover will be printed at a line screen of 133lpi. How many
> total pixels should your image consist of?

A lot.  No kidding.  A lot.

Quote:> 30. What is the file size of a 4" x 5" CMYK image that is 350 ppi. Show
the
> calculation.

No problem.  It's all on the back of the page.

HTH.

Porter

Post by Stanley L. Moor » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:40:32

Quote:> > 5. Are all display imagery pixel-based?

> No.  Just the ones we can see.

Not entirely. It depends on what you mean by "display". I can suggest oil
paintings, watercolors, pencil sketches, * stamp images, sculptures,
and many more. None of these are pixel based. Take care,
--
Stanley L. Moore
www.imagephysique.com

Looking for tech Jedi - res, printing, ect

Post by Fred Hilt » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:45:15

Quote:> "Ezra Kortz"

>> Somebody please help bring me up to speed with the following
>> questions! I will be enormously appreciative and return the
>> favor of education back into the world!

>> 1. How does a bitmap image differ from a vector image?

> One has more math than the other.

[etc., etc.]

HO! Best reply of 2003. You clearly have far too much time on your hands, but
thanks. I hope Ezra appreciates your effort on his behalf. I sure do.
--
Fred Hiltz,  fhiltz at yahoo dot com

Post by Porte » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:07:31

> > "Ezra Kortz"

> >> Somebody please help bring me up to speed with the following
> >> questions! I will be enormously appreciative and return the
> >> favor of education back into the world!

> >> 1. How does a bitmap image differ from a vector image?

> > One has more math than the other.
> [etc., etc.]

> HO! Best reply of 2003. You clearly have far too much time on your hands,
but
> thanks. I hope Ezra appreciates your effort on his behalf. I sure do.

You're welcome. It probably only took around two minutes, maybe four, and I
didn't write it for (lazy sod looking to weasel freebies) Ezra, who clearly
deserves zip.  :)

Porter

Post by Uni » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 12:18:02

> > No, no, no!! You don't barge into a newsgroup, asking many
> > questions, and expect people to shower you with answers! First,
> > you have to give these people an incentive. So, just say you're
> > considering buying PSP and taking a LVS course, then you'll get
> > all your questions answered. If that doesn't work, then say you
> > like Kiri's music (personally, I've heard dogs in heat produce
> > more pleasant sound :) and that may be your ticket to success! Or
> > better yet, tell Fugi you like his blur art, and he'll get Krissy
> > to personally answer your questions.

> > If all the above fails and you don't get your questions answered,
> > then just say "Adobe ROCKS!!!" and kiss this newsgroup good-bye!!

> Why dont you do his exam for him than, Uni?  Show us all how helpful
> and unlike us you are.

Uh, no thanks! PSPer's aren't worth helping!!!!!!!!!!

Now, if he had asked in a Photoshop newsgroup.......

:-)

Uni - AKA The Brain

Quote:> --

Post by Xalin » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 18:00:38

On 23 Mar 2003 00:47:03 -0800, eko...@hotmail.com (Ezra Kortz) wrote:

>Somebody please help bring me up to speed with the following questions! I will
>be enormously appreciative and return the favor of education back into the world!

>1. How does a bitmap image differ from a vector image?

A bitmap image is a description of the color for each point in the
image. It can't be scaled/resized without losing image information.
Resolution is used for two different purposes: A) The number of pixels
that determines the size, B) the DPI/PPI that defines how dense the
pixels are printed.

A vector image is a set of mathematically defined curves, lines and
color fills. Each element's position is defined on a virtual page.
All Elements (and thus the whole image) can be freely scaled without
loss of information. Screen and print output are different,
independent views on this mathematical data, adapted to the devices
capabilities.
Colors in vector images are calculated the moment they are transferred
to the output device (rastered, actually) in the desired size.

>2. The quality of a vector image printer output is determined by what?

Printing a vector image on a printer is a process of rasterizing. So
the chosen resolution (here resolution means device setting or
capability) and the way mixed colors are created will affect the print
output. Print size is less relevant - except for banding (see later).

>3.The quality of a bitmap image printer output is dertermined by what?

Here the relation between image pixels (=information) and printer
pixels counts. Set of dots of different inks/toners make a pixel.
Printhead DPI resolution divided by dots needed for shading = printer
DPI; also depends on print media, current best results for
1200/2400/2880/5760 DPI-Printers are arount 350-450ppi.

If the image is too small for the desired print size, the image's
pixels will become visible (e.g. print 100x100pixels on 8"x8" you will
see each of the 156 pixels that fill each square inch.

>4. What is Raster Image Processing?

All manipulations on raster images - most of PSP's functions are.

But what you seem to ask for: What is a Raster Image
Processor/RIP-Device?

The device that converts vector images in the raster images that
printing devices need for their output.

For the common desktop inkjet printer  the PC is the RIP-device.

For large-scale and/or high-speed printers separate RIP-devices
(actually specialized computers with large amounts of memory) are used
that are connected to the print-engine. The purpose of this is to keep
huge amounts of printer data off the network and reduce the PC-memory
used when printing.

Example: When you print a 24"x36" image that consists of vector curves
and takes only some 10 MB as a file on your PC at a desired output
resolution of 300 dpi, the following will happen:

Assuming a four color (CMYK) printer can print in 2400 dpi it can use
an 8x8 pattern per color for shading for your 300dpi image
(2400/300=8, 8x8=256, so 256 different intensities for each color for
each pixel are possible (theory...)). This will use 8 bytes of print
data per pixel per color (8 x 4= 32 bytes per pixel).
We talked about paper 24" wide. Each square inch has 300 x 300pixels.
300 x 300 x 32bytes per pixel
= 90000x32 = 2,880,000 bytes per square inch.
24" x 36"= 864 square inches
864 x 2,880,000 = 2,488,320,000 bytes total print data.
=2,430,000 kb = 2,373 MB = 2,3 GB

Nobody wants to transfer this through a PC spool system via parallel
or USB cable to the printer.

>5. Are all display imagery pixel-based?

Today there are only very few vector based applications left (e.g.
some air traffic control terminals).
There were some vector graphic terminals (Tektronics) for wireframe
CAD but high quality raster displays became cheaper and thus the
standard. None of the vector terminals was able to show shading.

>6.Define the term Postscript. What is it and what is its application?

Some say it is a page description laguage, others say it is a
programing language.

For more details see Adobe home page.

>7.What are some strengths of vector based software?

See above

>8.What is one cause of the "banding" that sometimes occurs when vector shapes
>with graded fills are output?

If the number of different colors that are available for the fill
(either by user's choice or the system'sinability) does not allow a
smooth transfer the border between the different color shades becomes
visible. Use more colors or more striped for shading (=more
memory...).

>9.What are some of the advantages of converting vector data to bitmap data
>before sending the data for output?

Printers and other raster devices do know nothing about vectors. You
need to transfer into their language which only has words for dots.

>10.When converting vector data to bitmap data, you must always answer two
>questions. What are they?

Hey - that sounds like your homework questions, you should be able to
answer this by now.

>11.What is the minimum resolution required for professional line
>drawing reproduction?

In 1986 the correct answer was 300dpi. Try converting into printers
raster or lines per inch system :-)

>12.How do you determine the necessary resolution required for color
>reproduction?

Depends on purpose, media, device capabilities, price/budget...

>13.The number of possible color choices for each pixel in an image is
>called what?
>14.An 8 bit color system (indexed color) has how many possible color
>choices for each pixel, and how is this number determined?

How many possible values are there for one byte?

>15. What is the best display resolution for reading text on a 19"
>monitor?

1600x1200 with font settings of >16pixels and antialias active.
Or get better glasses and use smaller fonts.

The question is nonsense if only the display resolution is asked for.
Readability needs to consider font size too - finer resolution and
bigger fonts are better than coarse resolution with edgy, pixelated
"small" fonts.

BTW: There are still 19" monitors designed for 800x600 pixels only and
my 28" TV monitor can't dispaly anything better than 720x576.

Keep only the first four words of the second paragraph.

>16.You have created a 6" x 8" full color illustration in Photoshop at
>300ppi in CMYK mode for a client. The client now requests a version of the
>file for Web publication that is 360 pixles wide. What steps would you
>take in Photoshop to prepare this illustration for the Web?

6 x 300 = 1800, 8 x 300 = 2400
resize accordingly, sharpen

While this is a computer image, it is already available in RGB so you
only need to save in the desired file format.

>18. A digital image is 200 x 300 pixels. If this image is 1.25" wide,
>whaat is the resolution of the image? How did you arrive at the answer?

Resolution is pixels per inch. Divide Pixels by inch.

>19. What is Bicubic resampling?

See Photoshop help.

>20. If a document in Photoshop reads 100% RGB how does this size relate
>to the size the image will appear in a Web browser?

Not.

>21.Define the terms image resolution and divise resolution (laser printer).
>What is the primary difference between the two?

See above

>22. If you are scanning a watercolor illustration to prepare it for
>digital printing, and you will be printing the illustration and 3/5

should read: ...at 3/5 of...

>its original size, from a printer that has a resolution of 2540 dpi
>and a linescreen of 150 lpi, at what resolution should you scan the image?

Assuming that the question is "how can you avoid moir patterns
scaning an image printed as described with contents that doesn't
require sharp edges?" I would scan at 600 dpi, use gaussian blur until
the print dots disappear and then reduce to the necessary size.

In case of a real watercolor image: I don't know. Where is the size of
the watercolor illustration?

If you calculate the actual resolution difference between linescreen
of the printed image and target size and scan at ~150 dpi the result
wil be a fine demonstration for moir effects.

>22. If we change the resolution of a bitmap image from 150 dpi to 450dpi
>keeping the file size the same, and the original size of the image
>is 9" wide by 12" tall, what will the new size be?

Resolution and size are in reverse proportion. You calculate.

>23.What is the size of each halftone cell for a 1200 dpi printer set
>at 80lpi? How many gray levels are available?
>24. A PowerPoint slide is always 10' wide by 7.5" tall. You will be
>viewint the slide on a PC with a screen res of 96dpi. You are creating'a
>background illustration that you want to completely fill the PowerPoint
>slide. At what size pixels and resolution will you need to create
>the illustration.

Another nonsense question.

Powerpoint slides are presented in different environments and even
printed. So the image size should keep the 3x4 aspect and be at least
big enough to fill the screen.

The teacher's assumption that there is any relation between those
96ppi and the image size goes bust when someone clicks on "full screen
presentation" where the assumed 960 pixel wide slide is spread over
the screen at usual 1024 or 1280 pixels width.

Where do they teach device specific presentation design? I'd like to
blacklist that university for recruiting.

>28.Now you are developing a PowerPoint presentation for a Mac with a
>Screen res of 80ppi. What will you need to do to prepar the background
>illustration in the previous question, so it will fill the slide of
>the Mac?

See 27.

>29. You are creating a bitmap illustration for a magazine cover that is
>8.5" x 11". The cover will be printed at a line screen of 133lpi. How many
>total pixels should your image consist of?

Calculate the relation LPI to pixels as A.
Calculate pixels as 8.5 x A x 11 x A

>30. What is the file size of a 4" x 5" CMYK image that is 350 ppi. Show the
>calculation.

4" x 350ppi x 5" x 350ppi x 4 colors is the raw image data.
File size is nonsense again without a given format to consider
headers, ...

read more »