SGI GL vs. RS/6000 GL

Post by Ekkehard Bei » Sun, 27 Feb 1994 03:07:33

Looking for information about incompatibilities between SGI GL and
the RS/6000 version and how to fix them, when porting an SGI programm
to RS/6000.

Thanx in advance,
        Ekki

* Ekkehard 'Ekki' Beier                                        *

*   phone: ++49-3677-691243          fax:   ++49-3677-691201   *

* Technical University of Ilmenau                              *
* Faculty of Computer Science and Automation                   *
* Department of Computer Graphics                              *
* Am Ehrenberg, PSF 327, D-98684 Ilmenau, GERMANY              *
*   private:                                                   *
* Kopernikusstra3e 8, D-98693 Ilmenau, GERMANY                 *

SGI GL vs. RS/6000 GL

Post by furio ercoles » Sun, 27 Feb 1994 04:44:46

|> Looking for information about incompatibilities between SGI GL and
|> the RS/6000 version and how to fix them, when porting an SGI programm
|> to RS/6000.

If you are concerned about the bare functionality of the program,
the portability is pretty good in my opinion.  The IBM version may
have something missing here and there, but the most important calls
are there.

However, as soon as you consider the performance arena, you may
find HUGE differences, in particular if the IBM models are of the
cheap 8-bit graphics variety.  I found programs with reasonable
(say 2-3 frames per second) animation performance on an R3k Indigo
to drop by an order of magnitude on IBM 320s, to the point of
being barely usable.  On a machine I used, the doublebuffer/swapbuffer
calls were "fake" (that is, the system was clearly using a single
buffer, ignoring the buffer selection calls made by the program).

Moreover, the integration of GL with the graphicsl user interface
(X, Motif, etc) is ridiculously bad on 8-bit IBMs. To see the colors
right on the GL window, all the colors on the rest of the screen
will be screwed up, sometimes resulting in illegible text.

Since porting itself is easy, I suggest you to get a loaner
machine for a week, try out your application and see if you
can live with it.

Of course, beating IBM RISCs in linear algebra calculations
is really tough, and RS/6000s here are all over the place
doing numerical work.

-furio ercolessi

1. RS/6000 GL problems with getgdesc

I'm sorry if these are inappropriate groups for this, but I have no where else
to turn.

I have an RS/6000 running AIX 2006.  I am porting a GL program from an SGI to
it.  I have two problems.

1) getgdesc() calls crash unless a window is open.  This is not true on SGIs.
It forces me to open a window just to find out the dimensions of my screen.

2) getgdesc( GD_BITS_NORM_SNG_RGB ) returns 8, yet I have a 24 bit color
board.  My program goes into pseudo color mode, when it could use true color.

Has anyone else seen this?

I am borrowing this account, so please respond to:
Gil Irizarry

Thanks in advance.

2. How to draw a picture in console application

3. Vector fonts for IBM GL (AIX 3.1 on RS/6000)

4. Selection

5. Picking/Selecting IRIX GL vs. Open GL

6. Video Configuration

7. a question ????

8. POV-Ray 3.00e for RS-6000/AIX

9. Seeking RS/6000 animation software

10. Compilation of NCSA Collage 1.3 on RS/6000

11. visualization packages for IBM RS/6000?

12. apE for RS/6000 : port ready?