Reverse engineering a EXIF/JPEG image

Post by Glenn Rams » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 07:36:00

Hi,

I have a digital camera that has a TV out capability and I'd like to
use it for a slide show in a presentation I have to give to a local
club.

I found by trial and error that the camera is only capable of reading
and displaying EXIF/JPEG images that it created, but I want it to be
able to display images that I have created by other means.

In order for the camera to be able to display images that it did not
create I'm guessing that they need to be compressed in a certain way.
The problem does not seem to be in the EXIF header, I've tried using
jhead and gexif to inpect and copy that to other images. The images
produced by the camera do not seem to be broken in any way and can be
read without errors by all the JPEG viewers I have tried.

Can anyone tell me where I need to start to find out how the image is
constructed?  Are there any software tools available that will be
helpful.

The camera is a Samsung Digimax 210SE.  The images say they were
produced by COACHWare 1.0 .  I did a web search and found that the
Zoran ZR36420 ASIC has all the features of this camera so I highly
suspect that this or a similar chip is what the camera is built
around.

Thanks
Glenn Ramsey

1. EXIF reader for Jpeg images: Delphi Open Source

Hi folks,

   I realize this is an announcement but since the only people
interested in this
   library read this forum....

   I have released a beta version of the dEXIF library.  There is also
   an example program: simple but it demonstrates basic usage.  Both
   can be found in one easy download from

               http://mcguirez.homestead.com/downloads.html

    A more complete version will be made available in a month or so.
   Enjoy!

/Gerry

Release Notes:

  * dEXIF provides a fairly fast way to extract EXIF information
    from jpeg image files.  It can read and parse a EXIF header
    in about 5 msec (200/second) on a 400 mhz system.

  * dEXIF provides a simple way to extend manufacturer specific
    information through the msData module.  Manufacturer information
    is provided for Canon, Casio, Fuji, Nikon, and Olympus cameras.
    If you add other manufactures please send a copy of the
    specification to mailto://mcguirez.hotmail.com so that it may
    be included in future releases.

  * dEXIF is a Delphi port of a EXIF module written by
    Matthias Wandel.  The exif.c module is distributed as part of
    the program JHEAD.EXE.

  * dEXIF and the demostration program(s) are released as open
    source projects and are free for private or commercial use as
    detailed in the included copyright text file.

  * Futures releases and information as well as some basic
    technical support can be found at http://mcguirez.homestead.com.

 Future Plans:

  * dEXIF currently retains some of the flavor of the original 'C'
    code (global variables etc.).  Future releases will more thoroughly
    integrate a more Delphi-like object data model.

  * Future releases will include the ability to write the EXIF data back

    out to a jpeg file.

  * Future releases will be able to report and manipulate EXIF data as
    found in TIFF files.

dEXIF is Copyright ? 2001 Gerry McGuire. All rights reserved.
See the copyright details specified in Copyright.txt

2. Pagination

3. How to reverse engineer the colors in Excel?

4. How2 get rid of purple tinted background that should be white

5. REVERSE ENGINEER VIDEO MODE

6. Black hole rendering in LW

7. Reverse engineering gimp graphics

8. eps import on maya nt

9. PS CS camera raw, getting full camera EXIF data from raw file into jpeg

10. Help! How to get Exif information from JPEG

11. EXIF info in Jpeg?

12. JPEG 2000 & Exif

13. request: JPEG and Exif information component