Indigo R3K graphics help...

Post by Will Burto » Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:49:32

From what I've read so far.  It's not possible to upgrade the entry level
graphics card to an Elan because the PROM can't understand it.  So, I would
have to  replace the PROM or use a different graphics card.  What's the best
I can get in a graphics card for the Indigo R3K?  I've seen some Indigo's
with Audio/Video ports next to the graphics card, which mine is blank.  What
card is this?

As you can tell, I want to upgrade the Indigo R3K Entry Level system...

Thanks

Indigo R3K graphics help...

Post by Michael Doy » Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:43:58

> From what I've read so far.  It's not possible to upgrade the entry level
> graphics card to an Elan because the PROM can't understand it.  So, I would
> have to  replace the PROM or use a different graphics card.  What's the best
> I can get in a graphics card for the Indigo R3K?  I've seen some Indigo's
> with Audio/Video ports next to the graphics card, which mine is blank.  What
> card is this?

> As you can tell, I want to upgrade the Indigo R3K Entry Level system...

> Thanks

I don't know where you got the information, but there is no problem in
upgrading the graphics in an R3k Indigo. The process has nothing to do
with the PROM. Yes, you will need to get a new graphics boardset -
Express graphics (XS,XS-24,XS-24Z, XZ,& Elan, Elan is the best) is
completely different architecture than the Entry. Note the only
difference between the versions of the Express is add-ons to the base
GR2 board - VM1 video RAM f. 24-bit color,ZB4 Z-buffer,GE7 geometry
engine chips (1 f. XS,XS-24,XS-24Z, 2 on XZ, 4 on Elan); these could
be bought later to put onto the board but are going to be hard to
find, best to just buy an Elan. Also note that in upgrading the
graphics hardware you'll also need to upgrade the graphics drivers in
IRIX.  Search your favorite USENET archive of comp.sgi.* for details -
it's pretty easy to do it...

I don't know about any video options for Indigo (I vaguely recall that
there was such a board, but was quite rare), but audio I/O is already
provided from the processor board....

Michael Doyle

Indigo R3K graphics help...

Post by Will Burto » Thu, 28 Aug 2003 03:36:21

Quote:> > From what I've read so far.  It's not possible to upgrade the entry
level
> > graphics card to an Elan because the PROM can't understand it.  So, I
would
> > have to  replace the PROM or use a different graphics card.  What's the
best
> > I can get in a graphics card for the Indigo R3K?  I've seen some
Indigo's
> > with Audio/Video ports next to the graphics card, which mine is blank.
What
> > card is this?

> > As you can tell, I want to upgrade the Indigo R3K Entry Level system...

> > Thanks

> I don't know where you got the information, but there is no problem in
> upgrading the graphics in an R3k Indigo. The process has nothing to do
> with the PROM. Yes, you will need to get a new graphics boardset -
> Express graphics (XS,XS-24,XS-24Z, XZ,& Elan, Elan is the best) is
> completely different architecture than the Entry. Note the only
> difference between the versions of the Express is add-ons to the base
> GR2 board - VM1 video RAM f. 24-bit color,ZB4 Z-buffer,GE7 geometry
> engine chips (1 f. XS,XS-24,XS-24Z, 2 on XZ, 4 on Elan); these could
> be bought later to put onto the board but are going to be hard to
> find, best to just buy an Elan. Also note that in upgrading the
> graphics hardware you'll also need to upgrade the graphics drivers in
> IRIX.  Search your favorite USENET archive of comp.sgi.* for details -
> it's pretty easy to do it...

> I don't know about any video options for Indigo (I vaguely recall that
> there was such a board, but was quite rare), but audio I/O is already
> provided from the processor board....

> Michael Doyle

Thanks for the reply... I've also done some more investigation on upgrading
the video.

Again,

Thanks!

Indigo R3K graphics help...

Post by Marcus Herbe » Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:46:19

> I don't know about any video options for Indigo (I vaguely recall that
> there was such a board, but was quite rare), but audio I/O is already
> provided from the processor board....

Several options do exist.

 http://www.schrotthal.de/sgi/video/entry_svideo3.jpg
 http://www.schrotthal.de/sgi/video/galileo_indigo.jpg

--

        Geek-Code: GCS b O e+ h

1. concave polygons in R3K Indigo (entry level graphics)

Hi, I have an entry level R3K on which I'm trying to get my
simulation system up and running. The solid modeler I'm using
puts out polygons with holes, and I had a lot of problems with
rendering things correctly on the entry level graphics system. Since
the manual says that non-simple polygons won't be rendered correctly
I spent some time a couple of days ago, writing a recursive algorithm
that converts everything to simple polygons. My algorithm generates
simple polygons which can be concave.

However, now I discover that even concave polygons DON'T seem to
be rendered right. I have set concave(TRUE); before I do the
rendering. The funny thing is that from certain view points I
get to seeing ungodly triangles. Is there a fix to this? I'm running
IRIX Release 4.0.5F IP12 Version 08280217 System V.

I remember seeing a post or two a while ago, discussing this, but I
forgot to save those.

Thanks very much in advance.

2. Quark v Pagemaker

3. IRIX5.3 and Indigo R3K-Elan woes

4. Offsetting a plane

5. GR-XZ upgrade on Indigo R3K?

6. glMultMatrix()

7. Upgrading LG1 to GR2-XZ on R3K Indigo?

8. Movie Annotations

9. FS: LOADED R3K Indigo Elan

10. Freelance Graphics and Animation: Silicon Graphics Indigo/Alias Animator

11. Indigo Entry to Indigo Elan

12. GE7's on a SGI R3K

13. GRAPHICS CONTEST / WIN AN SGI INDIGO 2 EXTREME