Making jpegs transparent.

Post by Tony Spence » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I am looking for a program that I can use to make the background on a jpeg
image transparent.
I used to have one ages ago but cannot remember what it was called.
Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Tony

Making jpegs transparent.

Post by Brian Or » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Jedor Viscosity can do this.
1. Load up the image
2. Set the background color to transparent,
3. Turn on eraser mode
4. Use the fill tool.   This will erase all pixels of the same color (or
close to the color depending on your tolerance)

Alternatively you can select all the pixels you want (magic wand tool) to
change and cut them out.

Viscosity is currently in beta but you can download it from www.jedor.com

Brian Orr

Quote:> I am looking for a program that I can use to make the background on a jpeg
> image transparent.
> I used to have one ages ago but cannot remember what it was called.
> Any help appreciated.

> Thanks
> Tony

Making jpegs transparent.

Post by Mathieu Bernar » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I am looking for a program that I can use to make the background on a jpeg
> image transparent.
> I used to have one ages ago but cannot remember what it was called.
> Any help appreciated.

I don't think that you can make transparent jpegs... maybe you are thinking of transaprent gif images ?

(altough there might be an alpha channel in jpeg files but I'm not too sure about it)

Mat.

--

( o>
///\

+------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| _ _ _ _ S i t e   P e r s o _ _ _ _|_ _ _ _ _ S i t e   B M X _ _ _ _ _ _|
| http://www.multimania.com/mbernard | http://www.multimania.com/valenxicos|

Making jpegs transparent.

Post by Phil McRev » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I am looking for a program that I can use to make the background on a jpeg
>image transparent.

You won't be able to store the resulting image in JPEG because JPEG
doesn't have any support for transparency or alpha channels.  As
someone else pointed out, you can use magic wand selection tools in
any paint program to paint away the background on your image to
transparent, but if you save it as a JPEG file again, you won't be
able to retrieve that info.  PNG supports both transparency and alpha
channel compositing, so you could store it in PNG after editing.
--
http://www.veryComputer.com/~legalize Legalize *hood!

``Ain't it funny that they all fire the pistol,     <URL: http://
  at the wrong end of the race?''--PDBT     www.eden.com/~thewho>

1. Transparent JPEGs for the Web!

Hello,

I just uploaded a Web page describing the initial stage of
the JPiG project, an extented JPEG-based image format
supporting transparency and simple animation features.

The transparency will be of both the conventional "gradient"
type (similar to what we can create in Photoshop or other
capable software) as well as a very slim on/off GIF-like
transparency useful for images combining text and 24-bit
image components. If the images aren't *very* small (in pixels)
both these varieties will produce JPiG files ranging from a
bit slimmer (in bytes) to very much smaller file sizes compared
with both JPEG and GIF. (The notable exception is images with large
areas of 100% pure & plain colors, still best handled by GIF.)

The JPiG developments will be carried on as a PD (Public Domain)
project initiated by Thomas Lindstrom and Ed Scott, right now
in the very beginning. We feel that the scope of the project
will require more crazy enthusiasts and we welcome all kinds
of support, comments, and other useful contributions.

If you have experience from Photoshop and/or Netscape plug-in
development you are *very* welcome.

But first of all: Take a look at the first JPiG document at

http://www.algonet.se/~dip/jpig_1.htm

Thanks for listening!

          Thomas Lindstrom - DiP - Sweden
      - A Guide to Digital Pictures & More -
          http://www.algonet.se/~dip/

2. model animation tester

3. Transparent jpegs in Netscape?

4. Imagine 5.0

5. Jpegs with transparent backgrounds

6. Creating a Lighter Shade of Color

7. Transparent JPEGs for the Web Coming!

8. Image copy protection software - new release

9. transparent jpegs and Netscape 4.5 PR2

10. making a bitmap transparent

11. making .gif transparent?