Problem with looks_like option

Post by Axel Kowa » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

Hello everybody,

I have a beginner question about the looks_like option of POVRay 3.
What controls where my light source finally will be ? The position argument in
the light_source command or the positioning argument of the looks_like opject ?
Should they/must they  be identical ? By varying the position arguments in the
example (lightbulb) I got very strange effects. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Many thanks,

        Axel Kowald

Post by Roland M » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

> Hello everybody,

Hello you!

Quote:> What controls where my light source finally will be ?
> The position argument in
> the light_source command or the positioning argument of the
> looks_like opject ?
> Should they/must they  be identical ? By varying the position
> arguments in the
> example (lightbulb) I got very strange effects. Maybe someone can
> enlighten me.

The position of the light_source is specified by the first vector you write
in the light_source { } statement. The position of the object you tell POV
to make the light_source look like is then calculated by translating
the looks_like object by the very same vector.
So, if you want your light to look like a sphere centered on it, just use
looks_like { sphere <0,0,0>, 1 texture { ... } }, this should cease the
troubling effects.

Quote:> Many thanks,

You're welcome.

Quote:>    Axel Kowald

Hope this helps,
B-o-b

--
---------+* Roland "B-o-b" Mas *+----------

     Phone : 01.45.81.71.14 (France)
          +33.1.45.81.71.14 (abroad)
 <http://www-stud.enst.fr/~mas/index.html>

1. Problems with POV: light_souce, looks_like - need Help

Hi,
I vave some problems with the looks_line option in light_source.
The demo in the help-text will not run - the light_souce is not shown.
The picture is black without the light_source object.

here a part of my listing (from the POV-Ray Documantation):

#declare Lightbulb = union {
  merge {
    sphere { <0,0,0>,1 }
    cylinder { <0,0,1>, <0,0,0>, 1