Best rendered/raytraced images?

Post by Mark Spenc » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

 Hello!

        I've been checking out the Povray home page and have some
  questions for you guys.

        Has anyone converted the 'Pocketwatch' into a Windows 3.1
  .BMP sucessfully? It looks chewed up when I convert it in DOS
  using Graphics Workshop.

        Is there a hall of fame for the best rendered/raytraced
  images? A FTP site, web page? The Povray page was good, but there
  weren't too many images ..

        I'm setting up a web page now .. Would it be feasible to use
  raytraced images in my page? Could I use some kind of 'glossy'
  rendered background, or would it be too bandwith consuming? Anyone
  have suggestions on what rendered images are the best and where
  to get them?

        I'd like to setup a 'hall of fame' as well .. Maybe 20 of my favorite
images?

 Thanks for all the info!!

 Mark Spencer

Post by Wayne Blackbu » Mon, 05 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> Hello!
>        I've been checking out the Povray home page and have some
>  questions for you guys.
>        Has anyone converted the 'Pocketwatch' into a Windows 3.1
>  .BMP sucessfully? It looks chewed up when I convert it in DOS
>  using Graphics Workshop.

I suggest using Paint Shop Pro (Windows program). It is one of the best shareware programs
I have ever seen, and it has a fairly low registration price. If you are not familiar with
it, it works with a couple dozen different formats, and will automatically save a loaded
picture as a .BMP file unless you tell it differently, so if it looks good when you load
the .TGA file, it will be fine as a .BMP file.

Quote:>        I'm setting up a web page now .. Would it be feasible to use
>  raytraced images in my page? Could I use some kind of 'glossy'
>  rendered background, or would it be too bandwith consuming? Anyone
>  have suggestions on what rendered images are the best and where
>  to get them?

Many web pages now use raytraced images, and they don't seem to have much trouble. I would
suggest, however, that you keep them as small as you can and still see what the image is.

1. best PC rendering/raytracing software needed!

Can someone give me a good comparison of the available rendering/raytracing
software for the PC.  I realize listing all such packages is ridiculous, so
just include your personal favorites (preferably thru email).  I need the
following info to make my decision:
1. type (renderer, raytracer, or both)
2. features (beyond the simple stuff, but rather things like radiosity)
3. price (both commercial and shareware please)

thanks in advance
Tom

2. Lightwave / Lightscape

3. Raytracing in Max, GOOD raytracing?

4. Rendering Relect/Refract Maps 12 times for D.O.F. effect

5. One of the best rendered images ever

6. 3DsMax ?

7. best software for still image rendering

8. "Packaging scene" question

9. New Images: ftp://199.171.190.25/users/learfox/images/raytrace/

10. Best freeware/shareware rendering programs - New to rendering!

11. Scanline rendering vs raytracing