PowerMac PowerTower Pro

Post by Marco Bertamin » Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I need to buy a new Mac system, possibly a PowerTowerPro
180. I like in particular the fact that it comes with an IMS
graphic card (8MB twin turbo). However, the fact that this machine
is new and I'm not even in the US (but in England) makes me wonder
whether I should stick with an Apple Mac, something like a 8500
180MHz (for about the same price). But in that case I would need
to buy also a video card. I'm not an expert on this, so can
someone point me to a recent review on MacUser or let me know at
least of what cards to avoid? General advice on how to spend a lot
of money on a Mac system is also welcome (this is a one in a
lifetime opportunity for me). Usage: Photoshop, Director, and
some simple Think C programming.

Thanks,     Marco

| "And the best thing you've ever done for me,
|  is to help me take my life less seriously,
|  it's only life after all."       -- Indigo Girls

PowerMac PowerTower Pro

Post by Wistar Rinearso » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I need to buy a new Mac system, possibly a PowerTowerPro
> 180. I like in particular the fact that it comes with an IMS
> graphic card (8MB twin turbo).

<snip>

> Thanks,     Marco

The Power Tower would be my choice. The only problem is that there is an
incredibly long waiting list for that machine. We have been waiting for
over a month now, and have been told that it may be a few more weeks
before we see it.

-wistar

PowerMac PowerTower Pro

Post by Todd A. Barna » Wed, 09 Oct 1996 04:00:00

 >> I need to buy a new Mac system, possibly a PowerTowerPro
 >> 180. I like in particular the fact that it comes with an IMS
 >> graphic card (8MB twin turbo).
 >
 >The Power Tower would be my choice. The only problem is that there is an
 >incredibly long waiting list for that machine. We have been waiting for
 >over a month now, and have been told that it may be a few more weeks
 >before we see it.

Hmm, strange.  I put in an order for the 225mhz PowerTower Pro and got it
in under two weeks.. and I think it only took that long because I got a
custom installation of a few things (like the internal Jaz.. i ordered an
extra 64 megs of ram separately and put that in myself).  Maybe the 180's
are in more demand than the 225's.. it's possible.

--
**---------------------------------------**------------------------**
** Todd A. Barnash                          University of Florida  **

** WWW:   http://www.med.ufl.edu/anatomy/   (904) 392-3569         **
**---------------------------------------**------------------------**

1. PowerTower Pro owners: how do you like it?

To cut the noise, try putting something on top of the case. Right now
there's about 4 comic books resting on the top of the case of the PTP225
I'm working on and it cuts the noise level by a very significant ammount.

The case is also elevated a couple inches on a metal stand, so you know.

It's amusing because there is a /very/ definite difference. Without the
books, I can hear it over the PLI 40Mb Syquest's cheesy rumbling away.
With the books the PLI completely drowns it out.

As I think about it, I bet the metal case is resonating from the extra
fans inside, causing the loud hum. So place just enough on the center of
the case, and it should quiet down a /lot/.

Hopefully this works for you! I'd like to know if it does.

2. Moving From D3DXMesh to Vertexbuffers

3. JBIG how is it done ???

4. Converting From RAW To OBJ With Python