Displaying Spectra

Post by Winston K. Chan 211 » Thu, 26 May 1994 06:48:57

I am interested in writing a program to calculate the transmission and
reflection spectra (transmitted and reflected optical power as a function
of wavelength) for thin film interference filters.  A useful feature would
be to "see" what the filter looks like; that is, to see what color it
would appear if I had the filter in my hand.  How can I map a calculated
spectrum to RGB or some other color coordinate system so that I can "see"
what a particular spectrum looks like?

Winston Chan

Displaying Spectra

Post by Adrian Fo » Thu, 02 Jun 1994 01:13:32

Quote:>would appear if I had the filter in my hand.  How can I map a calculated
>spectrum to RGB or some other color coordinate system so that I can "see"
>what a particular spectrum looks like?

Try this, firstly you could use the CIE system's standard colorimetric
observer, colour matching functions to calculate CIE XYZ tri stimulus
values, the colour matching functions are basically the spectral sens-
itivities of the human eye's three colour receptors - the retina's cones.

You can then do a matrix conversion from CIE XYZ to the RGB colour
space of your display, there are various ways of doing this, either see
the colour spaces FAQ or email me for the equations.

This should give you quite a good visual approximation of the filters
colours within the limitations of the gamut of your display and the
accuracy of the transformations used. (The more accurate XYZ -> RGB
transformations are more difficult).

Regards, Adrian.

Adrian Ford,
Imaging Technology Research Group. University of Wesminster.

1. algorithm for a RGB color spectrum?

Hi, can anyone provide a pointer to an algorithm which will produce a
false-color representation of a range of integers?  I'm thinking of a
false-color spectrum representing elevation, like the one used in the recent
color digital elevation map created of MARS by laser rangefinding.

Essentially, the problem is this:  Given a normalized elevation range, say
from 1-256, is there a convenient algorithm available to produce RGB values
which will produce more-or-less visually equal spacing on a color "spectrum?"

I realize there is no simple straight path through the RGB color cube which
will produce a perfectly visually ordered transitional set of colors.  But is
there one that is even close?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Nick

             0/  0/  ARTIFICIAL CULTURE:  \0  \0
            /#  /#     Experiments  in    #\  #\
             /\  /\       Synthetic      /\  /\
           """"""""""    Anthropology   """"""""""
               (in preparation for MIT Press)

               Founding Member - Coordinator
         COMPUTATIONAL EVOLUTION AND ECOLOGY GROUP
  CENTER FOR THE STUDY OF EVOLUTION AND THE ORIGIN OF LIFE
                  Department of Anthropology
          University of California at Los Angeles
                            c/o
  11152 Lucerne Avenue, Culver City, California 90230-4244
                  Phone/FAX:  310-559-6661
         http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/anthro/gessler

2. Algorithm for sqrt ?

3. Please name me 16 colors from the light-spectrum

4. Good Newbie Reference for Animation Wanted

5. Respresention of spectrum

6. simple examples please !

7. Plustek Spectra 1200 scanner

8. Help pls. Converted pcx to gif using alchemy look awful on WWW page?

9. Spectra 1200 Scanner

10. Deep ocean waves using Phillips spectrum

11. RGB and wavelengths in the visible spectrum.

12. light spectrum in raytracing