Breaking up a vector bezier curve

Post by Graha » Tue, 17 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I am using PSP7, and I'm currently working with a vector bezier curve (don't
know if that's the proper name, I'm new at this) which consists of only two
nodes: the start and finish.  What I want to do is break the curve into
smaller segments but without altering the shape of the curve at all.  When I
add a new node to the curve, the curve moves slightly.
    The reason I need to break up the curve is that I want to add text along
the path of the curve, but some of it will be going one direction and some
will be going another.  I simply want the beautiful curve I made to stay the
way it was when I drew it, but I need to be able to work with it as a series
of segments.
    Also, is there a way to "lock" nodes/curves so that they can't be
altered accidentally?  That would actually solve my problem right there I'd
think.

Thanks,
Graham

Post by William P. Cla » Tue, 17 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> I am using PSP7, and I'm currently working with a vector bezier curve (don't
> know if that's the proper name, I'm new at this) which consists of only two
> nodes: the start and finish.  What I want to do is break the curve into
> smaller segments but without altering the shape of the curve at all.  When I
> add a new node to the curve, the curve moves slightly.
>     The reason I need to break up the curve is that I want to add text along
> the path of the curve, but some of it will be going one direction and some
> will be going another.  I simply want the beautiful curve I made to stay the
> way it was when I drew it, but I need to be able to work with it as a series
> of segments.
>     Also, is there a way to "lock" nodes/curves so that they can't be
> altered accidentally?  That would actually solve my problem right there I'd
> think.

> Thanks,
> Graham

    I don't know about locking nodes, but you could duplicate the layer and use
the lower layer as a reference.  That way, any movement in the upper layer while
adding nodes can be corrected by realigning with the reference layer.  You could
also make the curve on the reference layer a different color than the one on the
working layer to help with alignment.

--
Bill Clay

Breaking up a vector bezier curve

Post by Ronald Vic » Tue, 17 Oct 2000 04:00:00

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 12:05:23 GMT, "Graham"

>I am using PSP7, and I'm currently working with a vector bezier curve (don't
>know if that's the proper name, I'm new at this) which consists of only two
>nodes: the start and finish.  What I want to do is break the curve into
>smaller segments but without altering the shape of the curve at all.  When I
>add a new node to the curve, the curve moves slightly.
>    The reason I need to break up the curve is that I want to add text along
>the path of the curve, but some of it will be going one direction and some
>will be going another.  I simply want the beautiful curve I made to stay the
>way it was when I drew it, but I need to be able to work with it as a series
>of segments.
>    Also, is there a way to "lock" nodes/curves so that they can't be
>altered accidentally?  That would actually solve my problem right there I'd
>think.

>Thanks,
>Graham

Move the curve to the point you want to break is on an intersection of
the grid, turn Snap to Grid on, insert your node and break it into
two.   You may need to node edit to get the curve back into line, but
hey, that's the big thing about vector lines.

Jaggiemeister Ron- PSP Terrorist - D'Lanok de Caresk chapter, Executive Officer.
Great Beginner info at http://www.jasc-canada-psp-edu.com
FAQs at http://www.alphageo.com/psp/faq.html
Very FAQ at http://members.aol.com/psptopten/topten.html
My tips at http://hometown.aol.com/ronaldlvick/index.html

Breaking up a vector bezier curve

Post by Leslie P. Scharpe » Mon, 23 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Graham,

    If you really want to break all of your Bezier curves down into line
segments, just save the image as a WMF file, then re-load the WMF file. WMF
does not support Bezier curves, so PSP 7 will flatten the curve, forcing it
into lots of line segments (with accompanying nodes).

    Les Scharpen

    "LesS is more"

Quote:> I am using PSP7, and I'm currently working with a vector bezier curve