MS-DOS vs. IBM DOS, help wanted

Post by Guyang Hua » Fri, 03 Aug 1990 05:34:16

Hi There, I need some technical help again.

I've tried to upgrade my dos version on my IBM AT 286 clone. I have a
MS-Dos 3.3 currently and I got an IBM Dos 4.01 from a friend. I had
problem to upgrade since these two dos have some difference. But I don't
want to spend more than $120 to buy a MS-dos 4.0. Is there any way to
upgrade a Ms-dos with an IBm Dos without re-formatting my hard drive
first? I like the dos 4.01 very much but just hesitate to rebuild my
hard drive. Any suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks in avance.

Matthew Huang

MS-DOS vs. IBM DOS, help wanted

Post by HAA » Fri, 03 Aug 1990 11:04:06

>I've tried to upgrade my dos version on my IBM AT 286 clone. I have a
>MS-Dos 3.3 currently and I got an IBM Dos 4.01 from a friend. I had
>problem to upgrade since these two dos have some difference. But I don't
>want to spend more than $120 to buy a MS-dos 4.0. Is there any way to
>upgrade a Ms-dos with an IBm Dos without re-formatting my hard drive
>first? I like the dos 4.01 very much but just hesitate to rebuild my
>hard drive. Any suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks in avance.

I have 'upgraded' from MS-DOS 3.3 to IBM DOS 4.0 by simply using the
SYS command to transfer the system to the hard drive. HOWEVER, this
will not re-partition the hard drive, so you're still stuck with
a partition that is 32MB or less.  It is my opinion that the largest
or perhaps the only reasons to switch to DOS 4.0 are:

1.) Have disk partitions greater than 32 MB.
   -or-
2.) Software compatibility.

If YOUR reason is #1, then your going to have to re-format your hard
disk ANYWAY. When you consider that DOS 4.0 takes up more of your
base (640k) memory than previous relesses, your may want to stay with
DOS 3.3. I know many people who prefer 3.3 for that very reason.
But if you need Big disks and 4.0, bite the bullet and repartition.

Good luck . .

--
Harry Haas  GTRI/RAIL/TDD        "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2

MS-DOS vs. IBM DOS, help wanted

Post by Dail Magee, J » Thu, 09 Aug 1990 09:51:44

>                                             . . . Is there any way to
> upgrade a Ms-dos with an IBm Dos without re-formatting my hard drive
> first? . . .

Although I have not checked IBM's PC-DOS 4.01 specifically, I know
that MS-DOS 4.01 can be installed _without_ reformatting the hard
disk--a nice and most welcome touch.  (Just the same, backup your
entire hard disk before updating your system.  I love computers,
but I trust 'em as far as I can throw 'em.)

(Note:  I work for Microsoft, but I do not speak for Microsoft.
'Nother words, blame me, not my employer.  On second thought, don't
blame me, either.  :-)

:-( Dail Magee, Jr. - Microsoft Press - One Microsoft Way - Redmond, WA - USA

;-) UUCP:  ...!uunet!microsoft!dailma  (I think; try it)
*-( Disclaimer:  These are my opinions; if you don't like 'em, I disclaim 'em.