Triangle-Strip Algorithm Needed

Post by Paul Tallo » Sun, 15 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hello and Thanks in Advance.

  I'm looking for an algorithm to convert a surface tesselation into one or

more triangle strips to improve graphics speed on OpenGL display hardware.

  As input I have a list of points with the topology of the tesselation:
           npoints
           xyz[3][npoints]
           normals[3][npoints]
           ntriangles
           tris[3][ntriangles]

  I would like as output:
           nstrips
           tris[*][nstrips]

  Any help would be appreciated, even a URL.

--
Paul Tallon
Senior Development Engineer

http://users.sgi.net/~pft

Post by Dirk Bart » Tue, 17 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Hello and Thanks in Advance.

>   I'm looking for an algorithm to convert a surface tesselation into one or

> more triangle strips to improve graphics speed on OpenGL display hardware.

[..]

Quote:>   Any help would be appreciated, even a URL.

I can help with that 8):
Check the homepage of stripe:
http://www.cs.sunysb.edu/~evans/stripe.html

There was a paper about stripe in IEEE Visualization'96.

Dirk

--

======== 8< ======= 8< ======= 8< ======= 8< ======= 8< ======= 8<
========

WWW:   http://www.gris.uni-tuebingen.de/~bartz

Post by Mark Kilga » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

|>   I'm looking for an algorithm to convert a surface tesselation into one or
|>
|> more triangle strips to improve graphics speed on OpenGL display hardware.
|>
|>   As input I have a list of points with the topology of the tesselation:
|>            npoints
|>            xyz[3][npoints]
|>            normals[3][npoints]
|>            ntriangles
|>            tris[3][ntriangles]
|>
|>   I would like as output:
|>            nstrips
|>            tris[*][nstrips]
|>
|>   Any help would be appreciated, even a URL.

Try the Stripe project page.  Stripe is freely available for
non commerical use:

  http://www.cs.sunysb.edu/~evans/stripe.html

You can also try the "Converting sets of triangles with shared
edges into triangle strips" page:

  http://tofu.alt.net/~grantham/meshifier/show.html

By the way, information about these and other cool OpenGL-based
rendering techniques can be found at:

  http://reality.sgi.com/mjk_asd/opengl-links.html#technique

I hope this helps.

- Mark

1. Triangle-Strip Algorithm Needed

Hello and Thanks in Advance.

  I'm looking for an algorithm to convert a surface tesselation into one or

more triangle strips to improve graphics speed on OpenGL display hardware.

  As input I have a list of points with the topology of the tesselation:
           npoints
           xyz[3][npoints]
           normals[3][npoints]
           ntriangles
           tris[3][ntriangles]

  I would like as output:
           nstrips
           tris[*][nstrips]

  Any help would be appreciated, even a URL.

--
Paul Tallon
Senior Development Engineer
ANSYS Inc.

http://users.sgi.net/~pft

2. earthmap

3. Dual Display weirdness

4. Algorithm to combine triangle meshes into triangle strips

5. Realtime triangle strip generation algorithms

6. triangle strip algorithms

7. triangle strip algorithm from SGI

8. Triangle Strips algorithms

9. Triangle Strip Preserving LOD (T-Strip LOD)