GL vs. GLX

Post by Victor E. Roetm » Sun, 12 Dec 1993 08:24:45

I have been learning basic GL, and it is very easy to control
windows with it.  I have been looking at some of the GL under
X-Windows programs and the windowing seems very complicated.

Is there any reason I should push forward and learn to use
X to control my windows, or should I continue to use
straight GL?

Victor Roetman

GL vs. GLX

Post by David Mo » Wed, 15 Dec 1993 09:55:36

Quote:

>I have been learning basic GL, and it is very easy to control
>windows with it.  I have been looking at some of the GL under
>X-Windows programs and the windowing seems very complicated.

>Is there any reason I should push forward and learn to use
>X to control my windows, or should I continue to use
>straight GL?

1) OpenGL has no support for windows, so if/when you go to that
   graphics standard, you'll need support from a window system
   like X.

2) IRIS GL has windows, but no other UI (sliders, buttons, menus).
   If you use GLX, you can use a library like Motif for your UI.

By the way, you may want to check out the IRIS Inventor toolkit from
SGI. It is an object-oriented approach to GL graphics (with C++ and C
bindings). It provides some pre-built widgets, like the render area,
which handles all the grundgy details of setting up a GLX window
for you, and lets you just program away in Inventor or GL.

(Other widgets include a material editor, examiner viewer, and
directional light editor. This is just the tip of the iceberg.
Inventor provides a graphics database, direct manipulation support,
file format, etc. All kinds of stuff to make programming 3D graphics
much easier. You figure out what to draw, Inventor figures out how
to draw it.)

>Victor Roetman

David

1. Picking/Selecting IRIX GL vs. Open GL

 I need to do picking/selecting.  Due to requirements, I am uncertain
if I will have the luxury of using Open GL.  I was wondering if anyone
has comparison between picking/selecting between IRIX GL and Open GL.
Also Picking/Selecting in IRIX GL is "hardware dependent."  Can
someone elaborate on that and discuss the feasibility of using IRIX GL
for picking when the various SGI hardware configurations are numerous.

Thanks,
        Neil Buesing

   Neil Buesing                     Computer Scientist, DEMACO, Inc.

   ph:  (217) 355-4748              Champaign, IL 61820
   fax: (217) 355-4749

2. DXF conversion

3. SGI GL vs. RS/6000 GL

4. Monitoring Video Memory

5. Picking/Selecting IRIX GL vs. Open GL

6. AVI for Dos Viewer?

7. Software development on SGI: GL or GLX?

8. Q: boxerrorbars and boxwidth

9. IRIS GL -> GLX queries

10. X/GLX/GL and window/font/text

11. GL initialization in mixed GLX mode

12. Questions about GLX and GL over network

13. Destroying GL windows / widgets in GLX