hardware stereo support for Motif?

Post by Herc Silverste » Wed, 18 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Do SGI machines support hardware stereo modes of the GUI components?
That is, is there any automatic support to provide views of Motif
panels/components for BOTH eyes when the machine enters hardware
stereo mode?

Also, if the display resolution gets changed is there any way to
automatically update Motif components to 'adjust' to the new
resolution?  Would one have to keep a set of stereo and non-stereo
components around and swap between them?  Or are there some simple
calls on the SGI to update one instance of Motif components so that
they don't look so large and bulky in stereo mode?

Herc

Post by Christopher Walke » Wed, 18 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Do SGI machines support hardware stereo modes of the GUI components?
> That is, is there any automatic support to provide views of Motif
> panels/components for BOTH eyes when the machine enters hardware
> stereo mode?

On newer machines with the "stereo in a window" capability (O2,
RealityEngine,
InfiniteReality, Impact) this happens automatically.  On older machines
with the full screen stereo mode you have to draw the UI twice (on the
top
half, and again on the bottom half of the "screen").  With the new mode
you just create a drawable as part of you Motif app that has a stereo
visual (see the GLwMDrawingArea man page) and do your stereo OpenGL
rendering
to that drawable, all other drawables are automatically rendered for
both the left and right eye.

Quote:> Also, if the display resolution gets changed is there any way to
> automatically update Motif components to 'adjust' to the new
> resolution?  Would one have to keep a set of stereo and non-stereo
> components around and swap between them?  Or are there some simple
> calls on the SGI to update one instance of Motif components so that
> they don't look so large and bulky in stereo mode?

Don't know that one.

--

hardware stereo support for Motif?

: >
:
: On newer machines with the "stereo in a window" capability (O2,
: RealityEngine,
: InfiniteReality, Impact) this happens automatically.  On older machines
: with the full screen stereo mode you have to draw the UI twice (on the
: top
: half, and again on the bottom half of the "screen").  With the new mode
: you just create a drawable as part of you Motif app that has a stereo
: visual (see the GLwMDrawingArea man page) and do your stereo OpenGL
: rendering
: to that drawable, all other drawables are automatically rendered for
: both the left and right eye.
:

Christopher,

I've seen this new feature on an Infinite Reality with the "640x480_120s" and
"1024x768_96s", and the "1024x768_96s" on Max. Impact.  On the Max. Impact,
it appears the the STR_TOP and STR_BOT should also provide the "stereo
in a window", but haven't got it to work completely.  It seems as though
one channel (e.g., left) does not get displayed.  Do you know if this is a
bug, or incorrect usage?  Do you know if we will see any additional modes for
the 120Hz refresh rate, for either the Max. Impact or the Infinite Reality?
Although 96Hz works fine, it does give you a whopper of a migraine if
you look at it too long :-(

Eric
---------------------------+--------------------------
Eric LaPresto               Systems Analyst

(216) 445-9368              Cleveland Clinic Foundation
(216) 444-4795 FAX          Cleveland, OH 44195
--+ "Does the Oprah Book Club bash TV programs? "  +--------

hardware stereo support for Motif?

Post by Paul Spenc » Sat, 21 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> it appears the the STR_TOP and STR_BOT should also provide the "stereo
> in a window", but haven't got it to work completely.

This is incorrect; STR_TOP and STR_BOT are not stereo-in-a-window modes,
they are traditional full-screen stereo modes. These are meant for use
with the 1280x492_120s video format.

....paul

--
Paul Spencer                 Silicon Graphics Advanced Systems Division

1. How to use Motif when in hardware stereo?

When using OpenGL and Motif do the Motif elements automatically
appear as dual stereo images?  That is, when an SGI machine
is put into hardware stereo mode, how many copies of the
Motif widgets are seen?  One or two?

Does the system handle displaying and interaction with Motif widgets
automatically in hardware stereo mode?

In the past under Iris GL it seemed that most systems put up only
one image of a Motif panel, which caused the panel to appear
faint.  Also, the panels appeared very large due to the lower
resolution.

How have people handled this issue of making the Motif menus and
panels available to users when in stereo mode?

Herc

2. Australian Graphic Design

3. stereo-support under Linux with current nvidia-hardware

4. Rev letters, PS fonts, Open GL ?s

5. IRIS GL,Motif,Stereo on RE2

6. Gallery Effects

7. Stereo Mode and Motif?

8. Texture wrapped help

9. All Educators - Motif widget and VRML 1.0 support

10. stereo hardware