Better plot than SigmaPlot? (Re: The best IBM PC graph program)

Post by Yuan L » Tue, 07 Dec 1993 09:53:29

I tried to reply by mail, but the original poster's address got lost in
my system.

Hope this helps.

Yuan Liu

   ----- Unsent message follows -----
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 93 12:53:37 -0330

Subject: Re: The best IBM PC graph program
Newsgroups: comp.graphics

Sure there is.  One of my old friend just told me that a new company
made one that competes directly with Sigma.  I don't know the company
contact, but you can ask

We are on the same boat: need a scientific graphics.  So far as I know,
the damn mainstream PC magzines know only about biz graphics; that's
where their money come from.  And I've never read a single review, from
whatever source, on such.  Probably professional graphics magzines do
this, but I'll never read them:-)

Good luck!
Yuan Liu

Better plot than SigmaPlot? (Re: The best IBM PC graph program)

Post by Peter Imants Buttu » Thu, 09 Dec 1993 08:29:50

I am the original poster. Just curious. How did my name get changed to
someone else. Is that a bug in tin. Thanks very much to the 2 people who
have responded.

--
Peter Buttuls, CNS, Univ. of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada

Post by Bob Breivog » Thu, 09 Dec 1993 11:19:55

>I am the original poster. Just curious. How did my name get changed to
>someone else. Is that a bug in tin. Thanks very much to the 2 people who
>have responded.
>--
>Peter Buttuls, CNS, Univ. of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada

There was a review of scientic plotting SW in PC mag last year, I think.
On that basis, I got "Stanford Graphics" on evaluation. THis runs in Win 3.1,
and looks slick on the surface, but turned out to be a generally unreliable and
annoying program. Documentation ws also poor. As I recall, Sigma Plot was
considered a pretty good program, but had it's share of faults.

Post by J. D. McDona » Thu, 09 Dec 1993 23:31:28

>>I am the original poster. Just curious. How did my name get changed to
>>someone else. Is that a bug in tin. Thanks very much to the 2 people who
>>have responded.
>>--
>>Peter Buttuls, CNS, Univ. of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada

>There was a review of scientic plotting SW in PC mag last year, I think.
>On that basis, I got "Stanford Graphics" on evaluation. THis runs in Win 3.1,
>and looks slick on the surface, but turned out to be a generally unreliable and
>annoying program. Documentation ws also poor. As I recall, Sigma Plot was
>considered a pretty good program, but had it's share of faults.

We have tried several and find MicroCal "Origin" to be the best.
Actually it is quite good. It's slightly annoying, but quite capable.
We are now using it to process our data as well as plot it.

Doug McDonald

Better plot than SigmaPlot? (Re: The best IBM PC graph program)

Post by Senthil R. Kuma » Fri, 10 Dec 1993 01:06:20

     I am not sure if I am correct, but many pple have told
me that gnuplot is supposed to be quite good.  I have
personally never used it, but I am going to try it out soon.

     I have used sigma-plot quite extensively, but the major
problem is that it is not available on cross-platforms, and
the program is not something I would call great.

IMO.

Kumar

1. The best IBM PC graph program

I'm out of touch, but several years ago a PC program called SIGMA PLOT was
one of the best programs for researchers in Physics and Chemistry, say, to
draw publication quality graphs, partly because this package also had
mathematical and Greek characters.
1) Is there something better now, and if so, what and from what company
2) Can anyone tell me an article in PC Magazine or elsewhere that reviews
   scientific graphing packages.

Note that I am not interested in Presentation Graphics, but strictly output
that is suitable for scientific Journals. THANKS.

--
Peter Buttuls, CNS, Univ. of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada

2. Silicon Graphics

3. Are there any good 2D programs for IBM-pc's

4. ClarisCAD update path

5. Best/Good PC Program to Morph Text?

6. Neural Network book recommendations?

7. Wanted: program to preview HP Plots on ibm pc

8. looking for a good visualization package for IBM-PC and compatibles

9. The best 3D rendering program for IBM?

10. Good graphics program for IBM with EGA? resolution

11. best fit line for graph with many plots