Inventor and Ariel's G++ ?

Post by Andrew Phelp » Sun, 04 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Anyone know if it is at all possible to complile C++ code with things like
#include <Inventor/blah blah>
with Areil's g++ 2.8.1 on IRIX 6.5 ?  What I need to have installed ?
I've been doing VRML stuff for a while, but now somebody wants some Inventor
stuff and I'm at square zero with this.  Of course I don't have the SGI C++
Compiler, because that would be a useful thing to have, so instead I'm
looking for a hack.

Bottom line: anyone done this ?

Andy
RIT

Inventor and Ariel's G++ ?

Post by Stephane Morva » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I don't think it will work. At least on the FAQ they say it won't. My
guess is that the DSOs are not binary compatible between SGI's IDO and
any other GNU things.

sorry.

--
Stephane Morvan

This email adress can not be used for unsollicited, unrelevant junk
emails.
Remove whatever you think is odd in my email address to respond....

*                  Clemson Design Methodology Group                     *
*                                                                       *
* WWW   : http://www.eng.clemson.edu/~smorvan                           *
* IVECS homepage: http://design.vr.clemson.edu/ivecs/
*
*                                                                       *

Inventor and Ariel's G++ ?

Post by Andrew Phelp » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Grrrr -

OK, next questions:  Does anyone know if it is possible to buy only the
COMPILER from SGI, so that CC works from command line ?  is this cheaper
than getting the fullblown GUI set of tools, or is there only one package ?
I am completely in the dark on the SGI dev packages, I am a JAVA type
person, I don't really mess with this C++ stuff too often (only when I need
to do Inventor, and this is the first time).  Sigh...

I knew they said this on the FAQ, I was hoping that it was outdated (Ariel
was only kind enough to give us C++ recently, although I thank him MOST
GRACIOUSLY for this little treat (has saved my many times thus far).

Andy
RIT

Quote:>I don't think it will work. At least on the FAQ they say it won't. My
>guess is that the DSOs are not binary compatible between SGI's IDO and
>any other GNU things.

>sorry.

Inventor and Ariel's G++ ?

Post by Jonathan Li » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Grrrr -

> OK, next questions:  Does anyone know if it is possible to buy only the
> COMPILER from SGI, so that CC works from command line ?  is this cheaper
> than getting the fullblown GUI set of tools, or is there only one package ?

> Andy
> RIT

Hi Andy,

Yes, you don't need the GUI tools to compile C/C++ programs. You can
call 1-800-800-SGI1 and they should be able to give you more information
on ordering the development CDs. Actually, if RIT is under the varsity
program, you should ask the varsity contact if he/she already has the
CDs.

                Jonathan Lim    Silicon Graphics, Inc.
                GPS Graphics      Mountain View,  CA

Inventor and Ariel's G++ ?

Post by Arthur Hag » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Grrrr -

> OK, next questions:  Does anyone know if it is possible to buy only the
> COMPILER from SGI, so that CC works from command line ?  is this cheaper
> than getting the fullblown GUI set of tools, or is there only one package ?

Yes, and yes.

MIPSpro C 7.2.1 Compiler is one package
MIPSpro C++ 7.2.1 Compiler is one package
ProDev WorkShop 2.7 (the GUI tools) is one package
RapidApp 1.3 (the GUI builder) is one package (now discontinued)
Documenters Workbench is one package (should IMO be free)

Note that the ProDev Workshop package also includes the SpeedShop 1.3
package, and I'm not sure if you can get it seperately.
However that's not needed, but useful if you want to run tests on
your compiled code.
I don't find ProDev Workshop much useful except for for C++, and
wish they had split the package.

So go ahead, buy just MIPSpro C 7.2.1 - it's well worth the money,
IMHO.  It's not that expensive either, compared to TurboC/VisualC
and other unix platform native compilers.

Regards,
--
*Art