Use GIF's or JPG's?

Post by John Forrest Tomlinso » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello, people!
> Simple question: Should the majority of - or all of - the graphics used in
> my web site be in GIF or JPG format?

It depends on the image.  See, for example,

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/geektalk/97/30/index3a.html?tw=de...

JT

Note: reply-to address is munged

 http://www.jt10000.com/

***************************************

Use GIF's or JPG's?

Post by Porte » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello, people!
> Simple question: Should the majority of - or all of - the graphics used in
> my web site be in GIF or JPG format?

> As far as I've seen, JPG's maintain all of the colors used in the
palette -
> even if there are more than 256...correct? But they are also smaller in
> size. This could mean I can make rollover buttons that load faster.

> It's a tough decision. I make logos, headers, divider lines, icons, tiny
> icons, banners, and more. How do I choose between the file formats?

> What do you think? Are JPG's hard to detect by some browsers? Are they
just
> as reliable in presentation as GIF's? Is it better to use JPG's, and still
> maintain optimum graphics resolution?

> Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

http://members.aol.com/pnjnca/a27.html
three pages

Use GIF's or JPG's?

Post by Stuart Chas » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Depends,

JPG can often compress smaller while retaining the colors - yet psp seems to
not care for them as much as gif.  But, you can make transparent gif's where
jpg can't.

> Hello, people!
> Simple question: Should the majority of - or all of - the graphics used in
> my web site be in GIF or JPG format?

> As far as I've seen, JPG's maintain all of the colors used in the
palette -
> even if there are more than 256...correct? But they are also smaller in
> size. This could mean I can make rollover buttons that load faster.

> It's a tough decision. I make logos, headers, divider lines, icons, tiny
> icons, banners, and more. How do I choose between the file formats?

> What do you think? Are JPG's hard to detect by some browsers? Are they
just
> as reliable in presentation as GIF's? Is it better to use JPG's, and still
> maintain optimum graphics resolution?

> Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

> =====================================
> - David Grund Jr.
> Home page: http://home.earthlink.net/~dgrundjr/

> =====================================

Use GIF's or JPG's?

Post by Helge Mouldin » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Stuart Chase wrote,

Quote:>JPG can often compress smaller while retaining the colors - yet
>psp seems to not care for them as much as gif.

What do you mean by this? I don't notice where saving a file in
JPEG format is any more ornerous than saving a file in GIF format.
--
 Helge Moulding

 http://hmoulding.cjb.net/                with a weird name

Use GIF's or JPG's?

Post by Lars Eighne » Sun, 13 Aug 2000 04:00:00

the lovely and talented David Grund
broadcast on comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro:

DG> Hello, people!  Simple question: Should the majority of - or all
DG> of - the graphics used in my web site be in GIF or JPG format?

Use JPGs for photographs and similar graphics.  Use GIFs for logos and
most kinds art, especially that with sharp lines and large areas of
the same color (cartoons, most buttons, arrows, symbols, signs, and
similar dodads.  In other words: a photograph of Christmas lights -
use jpg; drawing of Christmas lights, used as a border - gif is
probably best.

DG> As far as I've seen, JPG's maintain all of the colors used in the
DG> palette - even if there are more than 256...correct? But they are
DG> also smaller in size.

Not entirely so.  GIFs can be smaller, especially for the kinds
of art GIFs are good for.

DG> It's a tough decision. I make logos, headers, divider lines,
DG> icons, tiny icons, banners, and more. How do I choose between the
DG> file formats?

All of the above are better as gifs.  Gifs will be smaller than
jpgs in many cases, and lettering and lines will remain sharp.

--

                             I hate laundry month.

Use GIF's or JPG's?

Post by Alan J. Flavel » Sun, 13 Aug 2000 04:00:00

(crossposted and f'ups set to appropriate group)

> Simple question: Should the majority of - or all of - the graphics used in
> my web site be in GIF or JPG format?

Not necessarily.

Quote:> As far as I've seen, JPG's maintain all of the colors used in the palette -
> even if there are more than 256...correct? But they are also smaller in
> size. This could mean I can make rollover buttons that load faster.

When you've got up to speed with the relevant FAQs, perhaps you'd care
to post some more focussed questions, to the images group.

Tom Lane's JPEG FAQ is particularly good about making the choice
between JPEG and palette-based formats, depending on the nature of the
material you're dealing with.

good luck starting with learning the basics of the WWW.

Use GIF's or JPG's?

Post by Simon Brook » Sun, 13 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello, people!
> Simple question: Should the majority of - or all of - the graphics used in
> my web site be in GIF or JPG format?

> As far as I've seen, JPG's maintain all of the colors used in the palette -
> even if there are more than 256...correct? But they are also smaller in
> size. This could mean I can make rollover buttons that load faster.

Horses for courses. JPGs use lossy compression, so that geometric
shapes and areas of flat colour often appear to have 'artifacts' in
them. However, JPGs cope very well with continuous tone and with
irregular shapes. So use JPGs for colour photographs and other images
with continuous tone and irregular shapes.

GIF uses lossless compression which is based on run length encoding;
consequently it copes extremely well with areas of flat colour and
with geometric shapes, but is hopelessly inefficient on continuous
tone or with very irregular shapes. Consequently GIF is good for
(e.g.) block diagrams, and for logos with few colours or simple
shapes, but very bad for photographs.

--

Ye hypocrites! are these your pranks? To * men and give God thanks?
Desist, for shame! Proceed no further: God won't accept your thanks for murther

Use GIF's or JPG's?

Post by Dirk Ha » Sun, 13 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Horses for courses. JPGs use lossy compression, so that geometric
> shapes and areas of flat colour often appear to have 'artifacts' in
> them.

That's not quite correct: You don't get artifacts in areas of flat
color. You might not get the original color, though.

bye, Dirk

--
http://www.haun-online.de/ || http://68kMac.de/

Use GIF's or JPG's?

Post by Stuart Chas » Sun, 13 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Depends how much you compress, and how  big the size of the picture is.
While gif has the diffusing, jpg (depending how compressed) "blurs" out
around any edge.  For some reason PSP "blurs" it more than any other program
i've seen.  yet you can export to jpeg with a much higher compression (i.e.
smaller file size).

> Stuart Chase wrote,
> >JPG can often compress smaller while retaining the colors - yet
> >psp seems to not care for them as much as gif.

> What do you mean by this? I don't notice where saving a file in
> JPEG format is any more ornerous than saving a file in GIF format.
> --
>  Helge Moulding

>  http://hmoulding.cjb.net/                with a weird name

Use GIF's or JPG's?

Post by Simon Brook » Sun, 13 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> > Horses for courses. JPGs use lossy compression, so that geometric
> > shapes and areas of flat colour often appear to have 'artifacts' in
> > them.

> That's not quite correct: You don't get artifacts in areas of flat
> color. You might not get the original color, though.

You are mistaken. What I wrote was exactly correct; would you like me
to post a URL of a web page that illustrates this?

--

                [ This mind intentionally left blank ]

Use GIF's or JPG's?

Post by Dirk Ha » Sun, 13 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> > That's not quite correct: You don't get artifacts in areas of flat
> > color. You might not get the original color, though.

> You are mistaken. What I wrote was exactly correct; would you like me
> to post a URL of a web page that illustrates this?

I'm sure I'm not mistaken, since this is how the DCT works.

An URL that I can think of off the top of my head is
<http://www.organizerlink.com/>. Get the "Organizer Link 4" logo and
view it in, say, 500%. The blue color only shows artefacts near the
text, but not in areas of flat color.

bye, Dirk

(crossposted & f'up set to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.images)

--

Post by Mike » Mon, 14 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Let me end this...go to www.eFuse.com

> >> That's not quite correct: You don't get artifacts in areas of flat
> >> color. You might not get the original color, though.

> >You are mistaken. What I wrote was exactly correct; would you like me
> >to post a URL of a web page that illustrates this?

> The original statement was accurate but imprecise. You get artifacts
> in areas of flat color near sharp color changes. The JPEG format
> doesn't have a problem with large areas of flat color; it has a
> problem with sharp color transitions, dropping artifacts on both sides
> of the transition line.

> --
> Sean R. Malloy               | American Non Sequitur
>     Naval Medical Center     |       Society
>     San Diego, CA 92134-5000 |

> FORMAL NOTICE: unsolicited commercial email will be read
> at a charge of $500 per item. Receipt of such email shall
> be considered to constitute acceptance of contract, and
> will be billed immediately.

Use GIF's or JPG's?

Post by Tim List » Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>> That's not quite correct
>> >You are mistaken.
>> The original statement was accurate but imprecise.

God i love this newsgroup!  in CIWAH these kind of mild remarks would
be all in caps, with exclamation marks, rude words, reflections on the
* habits and honesty of one's parents, and offers to commit
improbable gymnastic excesses.

after wading through CIWAH, it's possible to read this group and not
even realise that anybody is having a disagreement.  and it's useful,
too!  what's the difference?  are you all vegetarians vs the
meat-eaters of CIWAH?  is it * vs Speed?

regards,
        tal
===========

[Tim Lister, MAXTAL P/L]
[Phone: 61 2 9660 0850]

[WWW: http://www.veryComputer.com/~tal/ ]
[member of AWPA:  http://www.veryComputer.com/]
"He walks the streets like an ordinary man"

1. Transparent GIF's/JPG's

I've just started to write HTML and now I'm about to make a homepage.
I don't know so much, but somewhere, somehow,  I read something about
a program that could convert gif's and jpg's so that the backround
colour became transparent. I would be very thankfull if anybody could
give me the URL to this program so I can download it, acording to what
I remember, the program was shareware/freeware.

/?rjan

2. Lw7 DoNgLe TrAiNeD + mOrE

3. reading and displaying jpg's and gif's in vc++

4. VESA with NT4.0?

5. VC++ methods for reading and displaying gif's and jpg's

6. Curlicues or Squiggle or Embellishment

7. Alert Quick Time TAKING over GIF's and JPG's

8. PS5 vs Imageready jpg file

9. c++ classes to read and display jpg's and gif's

10. Combining animated GIF's with standard GIF's

11. Converting GIF, JPG, and BMP's