Question for UMAX Vista S-12 scanner users [SCSI-2 question]

Question for UMAX Vista S-12 scanner users [SCSI-2 question]

Post by Atom » Tue, 10 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I have a question for Mac users who have the UMAX Vista S-12 scanner.

I'm considering buying the scanner for my Power Mac 6100/60av. Anyway, the
specs for the scanner say that it has a SCSI-2 interface. Is this
compatible with my computer or would I need a special converter cable for
it?

Also, I plan to place the scanner at the end of my SCSI chain, so it would
be connected to my Apple External hard drive. Would I need a special SCSI-2
to regular SCSI peripheral cable to connect the scanner to my hard drive?
I've looked everywhere for the answer, but I've been getting a lot of
conflicting replies. Can any Vista S-12 [Macintosh] users out there provide
some assistance?

Thanks in advance,

Pat Lee

--
Pat Lee

Post by Sky Johnso » Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> ...would I need a special converter cable for it?

The Vista S12 has both a DB25 ("Apple SCSI") and Centronics 50 connector
on the back of the scanner, so if you've got a cable coming from the
hard drive that will work with one type of connector or the other, you
should be OK.  (You will need an external terminator for one of these
connectors as well if you intend for the scanner to be the last item in
your SCSI chain.)

-Sky

Question for UMAX Vista S-12 scanner users [SCSI-2 question]

Post by Charlie Wo » Sat, 14 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm considering buying the scanner for my Power Mac 6100/60av. Anyway, the
>specs for the scanner say that it has a SCSI-2 interface. Is this
>compatible with my computer or would I need a special converter cable for
>it?

I'm not sure who is telling you there is a SCSI-2 interface, but my Vista
S-12 came stock from the factory with a standard 50-pin SCSI port. No
special cabling needed. I do not believe that the Vista S-12 is available
with a true SCSI-2 port. (Any UMAX techs out there that know differently?)

Quote:>Also, I plan to place the scanner at the end of my SCSI chain, so it would
>be connected to my Apple External hard drive. Would I need a special SCSI-2
>to regular SCSI peripheral cable to connect the scanner to my hard drive?
>I've looked everywhere for the answer, but I've been getting a lot of
>conflicting replies. Can any Vista S-12 [Macintosh] users out there provide
>some assistance?

Again, with no special cabling needed, there will be no problem attaching
the scanner in line with your external hard drive. Be sure that the ID
numbers are different from each other, and that the lat item (in this case,
your scanner) is terminated.

Hope it helps.

Charlie

Design & Consulting - Portland, OR

--Everything looks good from here. Moving ahead...more later.--

Post by Joseph Burn » Tue, 17 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> >I'm considering buying the scanner for my Power Mac 6100/60av. Anyway, the
> >specs for the scanner say that it has a SCSI-2 interface. Is this
> >compatible with my computer or would I need a special converter cable for
> >it?

> I'm not sure who is telling you there is a SCSI-2 interface, but my Vista
> S-12 came stock from the factory with a standard 50-pin SCSI port. No
> special cabling needed. I do not believe that the Vista S-12 is available
> with a true SCSI-2 port. (Any UMAX techs out there that know differently?)

The Mac Ver. has a SCSI port while the PC ver. comes with a SCSI
interface card.

By the way, how do you like your S-12. [Please post or email answer.]
I've got to get a scanner and I have pretty much decided on the S-12.
[got the above info from their web site]

Joseph

Question for UMAX Vista S-12 scanner users [SCSI-2 question]

Post by Scott Ehler » Tue, 17 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Please remember that SCSI-2 can be present in Centronic 50 pin
configuration as it consists mostly of bus timing and command set
changes.  Just because there is a Centronics 50 connector instead of a
HD-50 connector does not mean it is not SCSI-2.

Post by Sky Johnso » Tue, 17 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> > I'm not sure who is telling you there is a SCSI-2 interface, but my Vista
> > S-12 came stock from the factory with a standard 50-pin SCSI port. No
> > special cabling needed. I do not believe that the Vista S-12 is available
> > with a true SCSI-2 port. (Any UMAX techs out there that know differently?)

> The Mac Ver. has a SCSI port while the PC ver. comes with a SCSI
> interface card.

The Mac & PC scanners are identical - they both have a DB-25 and
Centronics-50 SCSI connectors.  The only difference between the two is
what they come packaged with; the PC version includes a proprietary SCSI
card along with the software, and the Mac version does not (since Macs
are already equipped with SCSI).

1. Question for UMAX Vista S-12 scanner users [SCSI-2 question]

I have a question for Mac users who have the UMAX Vista S-12 scanner.

I'm considering buying the scanner for my Power Mac 6100/60av. Anyway, the
specs for the scanner say that it has a SCSI-2 interface. Is this
compatible with my computer or would I need a special converter cable for
it?

Also, I plan to place the scanner at the end of my SCSI chain, so it would
be connected to my Apple External hard drive. Would I need a special SCSI-2
to regular SCSI peripheral cable to connect the scanner to my hard drive?
I've looked everywhere for the answer, but I've been getting a lot of
conflicting replies. Can any Vista S-12 [Macintosh] users out there provide
some assistance?

Thanks in advance,

Pat Lee

--
Pat Lee

2. Convert in gif or jpg

3. Umax Vista S 12 Scanner

4. Mac-to-Windows RGB conversion, gamma correction

5. UMAX S-6E Scanner/ SCSI questions/problems

6. Recommend good modeler for Linux?

7. Opinions on Umax Vista S-12

8. Umax S-12 question

9. Help with SCSI for UMAX Vista S6E

10. Micron, NT 3.51 - cannot see UMAX S-12 scanner :-(

11. A UMAX SuperVISTA S-12 scanner....ANY GOOD!?