contour plotting of non-uniform data (or randomly scattered data)

contour plotting of non-uniform data (or randomly scattered data)

Post by Andrew P. Ansel » Thu, 14 Jan 1993 09:15:51

I'm aware of stuff available on the 'net that will let me do contour
plots for uniform data sets (i.e. a fixed dx and dy for each coordinate
point).  I was wondering if there were any programs around a that would
convert  data on a non-uniform grid (relatively easy) or on a random
grid (harder) to a uniform grid.

Thanks.

-A.

reply by e-mail if you can; my news feed is slow and intermittent...

 Andrew Anselmo / Department of Mechanical Engineering / SUNY Stony Brook

contour plotting of non-uniform data (or randomly scattered data)

Post by Rama Mavudu » Mon, 18 Jan 1993 01:28:55

Quote:> I was wondering if there were any programs around a that would
>convert  data on a non-uniform grid (relatively easy) or on a random
>grid (harder) to a uniform grid.

        Multiquadrics and Thin plate splines are two
        good techniques for interpolating scatterred data.

        Using the scattered data [ Xi, Yi, Fi ] or [ Xi, Yi, Zi, Fi ]
        a function f = F( x, y ) or f = F( x, y, z )  respectively, is
        obtained.

        This function is sampled over a unifrom grid.

                To get started on these techniques, see the following
        article:

                Scattered Data Modeling, Greg Nielson,
                IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications,
                Jan 1993.
---
Rama Mavuduru

1. Contour plotting for non-uniformly distributed data

Sorry if this a FAQ, but I'm looking for a public domain program (on
Sun, running OpenWindows/X) to do some simple contour plots.  What
I do need, however, is a program that can accept non-uniform grids.

is only for uniform grids.  I've also tried a program called graph and
plot (by S. Narasimhan) (for X-windows),
 but I seem to have some problems running it on my machine.  I was
wondering if anyone knew of other general purpose contour plotting
programs.

The best solution would be to get a program like SURFER, written
for PC clones, which I've used in the past, and has a lot of neat features.

Thanks in advance.

-A.

 Andrew Anselmo / Department of Mechanical Engineering / Columbia University

2. Flocking in LW?

3. contour plot of non-rectangular ordering of data points

4. Looking for a Good Algorithm (TImage)

5. Surface/contour plot in a non uniform x-y grid

6. Video to tape at 30fps [How much?]

7. contouring of random/non-uniform grids to uniform grids

8. big WMF->BMP

9. 2D Contour of scattered data? (IRIS Explorer)

10. plotting non-numeric and non-time data on x axis

11. Contour with X Y Z Scatter Data

12. Scattered Data -> Regular Grid Data

13. Scatter plot for large data set