Transparent Textures in POVRAY

Post by Philipp Hirt » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hey Raytracers,

I've got a problem using semitransparent textures in POVRAY 3.0.
I use vertical polygons over a horizontal plane to represent trees. As
texture I apply an image in Targa format, using a fourth channel as
transparancy factor. This works very well, except I'm using fog. The
transparent part of the texture shows the object behind itself, but does
ignore the fog.

I'm using fog_type 1.

Does anybody know an answer?

Thanks

Philipp

PS: I've already raised the max_trace_level

Phone: +41 - 1 / 257 51 63            Remote Sensing Laboratories
FAX:   +41 - 1 / 362 52 27            University of Zurich
                                      Winterthurerstrasse 190
                                      CH-8057 Zurich; Switzerland

Post by Chris Colefa » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> I've got a problem using semitransparent textures in POVRAY 3.0.
> I use vertical polygons over a horizontal plane to represent trees. As
> texture I apply an image in Targa format, using a fourth channel as
> transparancy factor. This works very well, except I'm using fog. The
> transparent part of the texture shows the object behind itself, but does
> ignore the fog.

> I'm using fog_type 1.

> Does anybody know an answer?

Although it seems sort of silly, adding hollow to your vertical polygons
will fix the problem.

Post by Denis Olivie » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> I've got a problem using semitransparent textures in POVRAY 3.0.
> I use vertical polygons over a horizontal plane to represent trees. As
> texture I apply an image in Targa format, using a fourth channel as
> transparancy factor. This works very well, except I'm using fog. The
> transparent part of the texture shows the object behind itself, but does
> ignore the fog.

make your object hollow.

Quote:> PS: I've already raised the max_trace_level

yes, better to say before !!! :)

POVLAB 3D modeller for POV-Ray - Raytraced pictures - 2D/3D ARTIST
NEED LOGOS   SITE DESIGN   WEB PAGES   ANIMATIONS   2D/3D PICTURES
Job and work area http://www.*station.fr/~dolivier/artist.html
POVLAB modeler    http://www.*station.fr/~dolivier/povlab.html
Photo portfolio   http://www.*station.fr/~dolivier/photos.html
Personal gallery  http://www.*station.fr/~dolivier/author.html

1. Transparent texture maps in POVray? (was: no subject)

When at firtst you screw-up ...

I'm wanting to make a texture from a gif and I only want one color to be
transparent (like green screening) Does anyone know how this can be
accomplished using POVray?  I've tried using transparent gifs, but the
"transparent" color just shows up anyway.

thanks,

--
James Rivenbark

2. Rounded corners on rectangles in PS4/W

3. transparent texture and texture inside a sphere

4. Help with text/graphic question?

5. fond transparent sous povray ?

6. Hit Testing a Path ?

7. POVRAY 3: Transparent Alpha Renders

8. wglSetPixelFormat help needed

9. Transparent spheres in POVRAY 3 (can't see past two or three deep)

10. Povray polygon texturing

11. Anybody interested in a carbon texture for povray?

12. generating povray textures using height_fields

13. POVray: scale a texture