Strange behaviour of text in POV

Post by Peter Olausso » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I rendered a few scenes with the same text-object repeated
a number of times, but otherwise with the same settings.
This is what I got:

 1 text-object:    69 seconds
 2 text-objects:  137 seconds
 3 text-objects:    3 seconds
 4 text-objects:    3 seconds

and so on. Does anyone know what's going on?

(I used POV 3.02 in DOS, BTW - nothing like good old-fashioned
'tracing, and if speed is indeed inversely proportional to the
complexity of the scene, so much better)

/www.Hexmaster.com

Post by Darius Davi » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> I rendered a few scenes with the same text-object repeated
> a number of times, but otherwise with the same settings.
> This is what I got:

>  1 text-object:    69 seconds
>  2 text-objects:  137 seconds
>  3 text-objects:    3 seconds
>  4 text-objects:    3 seconds

> and so on. Does anyone know what's going on?

This is caused by the automatic bounding box creation, which by default
only kicks in when there's 25 or more objects in the scene.  For TTFs,
each letter is an object, so you only get auto bounding if you've got 25
or more letters (+ other objects) in the scene.  Auto-bounding speeds up
TTFs a *lot*, and in a scene with just a few TTFs, the lack of automatic
bounding makes a *huge* difference, as you've noticed.

Put +MB1 on the command line, which will force auto bounding for any
scene.  That'll fix it.

Cheers,

Darius Davis

 ------------ Recent Evolutionary Trends in Mainstream Computer Software
|Darius Davis|      WYSIWYG - What you see is what you get.
| s328919 at |      WYSIWYD - What you see is what you drafted.
| student.uq.|      WYSINYD - What you see is not your document.
|   edu.au   |      NYSINYD - Now you see it, now you don't.
 ------------    ----------------------------------------------------

1. Strange behaviour of PowerPC PS2.5.1 Plug-In

Anyone else out there using it?

I have had problems with Photoshop failing to load the Plug-In (it claims
there's not enough RAM). I have also had spurious disk errors reported
during save (-36), even though the files in question actually save
properly. And there have been errors creating Previews ("Sorry, the preview
could not be created because a program error occurred").

I am using v.1.01. Anyone else had these? And any news on native Extensions
and Control Panels - so far I haven't dared install Suitcase, ATM, After
Dark etc because the performance hit in Photoshop - which is what I am
running 90% of the time - is apparently quite big (30% or so according to
MacWeek).

2. Group 4 TIFF Conversion to Mulitpage TIFF???

3. dmconvert: Strange behaviour

4. Icon editing program with hot spot capability?

5. strange video behaviour

6. Max with intel i820 board and Geforce DDR --occasional slow down. and ideas?

7. strange behaviour

8. Bresenham Ellipse Algo. & Anti-aliasing

9. Strange Performer behaviour

10. Strange flatpanel behaviour

11. strange mediaplayer behaviour

12. ImageVision: strange behaviour with ilImgStat

13. OT: Strange page behaviour with tables in NS4.5