Inventor solution ???

Post by Claude.Fuh.. » Wed, 10 Nov 1993 19:06:31

Hello

My boss would buy a SGI workstation. But, before, he ask me some questions that
i can't answer. The answers are probably in the FAQ, but where are the FAQ ???

1) Is Inventor (the latest version) fully compatible with GNU C++ compiler
   (?g++?). If not, what are the biggest problems.

2) Is Inventor fully compatible with OpenGL ?

3) Needs Inventor some specifics hardware to run. Is it needed to buy special
   hardware with the station ? Some other computer systems (like SUN for
   example) sells graphics cards that must be GL compatible. Are these cards
   Inventor compatible to ??

4) My boss show me a description of a software called Nth XGL (or something
   like that). It's a library from a firm called Nth wich emulate the GL
   library (the library of Nth, not the firm ;-)). At the end of this
   description, i've seen a very big list of incompatibilities with the
   standard GL. But the document was from July 92. Has someone experience with
   this library. Is this library been upgraded since July 92 ??

In advance, I thanks you very much for your help.

Claude Fuhrer

P.S. Please apologize my poor english ;-)

#include <standard.disclaimer>
Claude Fuhrer            Institut d'informatique       Universite de Neuchatel
Ch. de Chantemerle 20    CH-2000 Neuchatel     tel (+41) 38 25 64 34 (int 334)

X400     : C=ch  ADMD=arcom  PRMD=switch  O=unine  OU=info  S=fuhrer  G=claude
O mathematiques saintes, puissiez-vous, par votre commerce perpetuel, consoler
le reste de mes jours de la mechancete de l'homme et de l'injustice du
Grand-Tout !                                              Comte de Lautreamont

Inventor solution ???

Post by Gavin Be » Fri, 12 Nov 1993 04:15:58

>1) Is Inventor (the latest version) fully compatible with GNU C++ compiler
>   (?g++?). If not, what are the biggest problems.

No.  The biggest problem is that SGI's C++ and g++ use different
name-mangling conventions.  There are other problems, too.  If you
really really really insist on not buying SGI's C++ compiler,
Inventor does have a C programming interface that doesn't require C++.

Quote:>2) Is Inventor fully compatible with OpenGL ?

Inventor 2.0 ("Open Inventor") will be entirely OpenGL based.  It is
not available yet.

Quote:>3) Needs Inventor some specifics hardware to run. Is it needed to buy special
>   hardware with the station ? Some other computer systems (like SUN for
>   example) sells graphics cards that must be GL compatible. Are these cards
>   Inventor compatible to ??

IRIS Inventor runs on all SGI machines with RGB and z-buffer
capability.  It has also been ported to several other platforms by Nth
(it runs on top of their IRIS GL implementation) and Du Pont; contact
them for more information.

--

Inventor solution ???

Post by Chris Harr » Wed, 17 Nov 1993 03:24:22

> >3) Needs Inventor some specifics hardware to run. Is it needed to buy special
> >   hardware with the station ? Some other computer systems (like SUN for
> >   example) sells graphics cards that must be GL compatible. Are these cards
> >   Inventor compatible to ??

> IRIS Inventor runs on all SGI machines with RGB and z-buffer
> capability.  It has also been ported to several other platforms by Nth
> (it runs on top of their IRIS GL implementation) and Du Pont; contact
> them for more information.

> --

We're shipping a beta release of our port of IRIS Inventor for Sun
workstations. Please contact me if you want more information.

Chris Harris
Du Pont Pixel

44 784 470 555

1. Inserting Text -Solution needed for solution!!!!!

Well, I found the problem. The font (20 points) was so small it
couldn't be seen. So I enlarged to 900 points and then it was Ok.

BUT what do I do to get the fonts back to normal size?????

Normally, 25-30 point will suffice on a 320X240 size image. But 900??

So something is drastically wrong and I don't have the answer.

Hope someone out there can tell me what to do.

B..............

2. used Film recorder?

3. which is the best solution for surface visualization (with an eye at smooth and fast solutions)

4. WANTED: LBE Game Programmer, Burbank, California, USA

5. Inventor NURBS Question (RenderMan->Inventor problem)

6. Porting IRIX Inventor to Inventor 2.0

7. Conversion from Inventor to Open Inventor: Node Kits

8. Inventors Helping Inventors

9. Inventor technical FAQ + reading in data -> Inventor

10. Inventor's Resource-the best info for inventors is here

11. Software solutions for improving printer output