IRIX 5.3 color bug??

Post by Yu-Heng Tsen » Sun, 19 Aug 2001 05:47:33

Hi

I am using Matlab R12 installed in our linux machine and plan
to set the display onto my local SGI IRIX5.3 computer. I found the figure
became totally dark and I cannot see any figure on my screen. It works
fine when I am using our Linux machine on console but has some problems
when I display the figures on my local machine.

However, when I use SGI IRIX 6.3 machine to display the Matlab, the
result is fine.
Can anybody tell me how to fix this problem in IRIX5.3 operation system? I
don't have this kind of color problem when I use other image software
except MATLAB.

Thanks a lot!

Yu

IRIX 5.3 color bug??

Post by Walter Robers » Sun, 19 Aug 2001 06:48:11

:I am using Matlab R12 installed in our linux machine and plan
:to set the display onto my local SGI IRIX5.3 computer. I found the figure
:became totally dark and I cannot see any figure on my screen. It works
:fine when I am using our Linux machine on console but has some problems
:when I display the figures on my local machine.

This might be a hardware-level issue rather than an OS issue.

You do not mention what -model- of SGI IRIX 5.3 system you are using,
or what it's graphics board is. If, for example, you happen to
be running on a 4D/35 system with Turbo Graphics, then you would
be hitting the issue that TG has only one hardware colour map, so
anything that uses PseudoColour visuals might get the wrong colours
when the graphics object isn't the current pointer focus.

The 4D/35 series graphics boards were particularily prone to these
issues; we used to see matlab and IDL turn the screen black and white
when we ran on the 4D/35.

IRIX 5.3 color bug??

Post by Yu-Heng Tsen » Sun, 19 Aug 2001 07:07:11

Oh! The SGI machine I am using is Indigo 2 ZX. I am not sure
what the graphics board is. When I run Matlab R6 from other machine and
display the Xwindows. I find some windows display wrong color (Not the
same as what I see in the original machine which runs Matlab)
Particularly, the figure windows turn totally black. I cannot see
anything in them.
Do you know how to fix this problem?

Yu

> :I am using Matlab R12 installed in our linux machine and plan
> :to set the display onto my local SGI IRIX5.3 computer. I found the figure
> :became totally dark and I cannot see any figure on my screen. It works
> :fine when I am using our Linux machine on console but has some problems
> :when I display the figures on my local machine.

> This might be a hardware-level issue rather than an OS issue.

> You do not mention what -model- of SGI IRIX 5.3 system you are using,
> or what it's graphics board is. If, for example, you happen to
> be running on a 4D/35 system with Turbo Graphics, then you would
> be hitting the issue that TG has only one hardware colour map, so
> anything that uses PseudoColour visuals might get the wrong colours
> when the graphics object isn't the current pointer focus.

> The 4D/35 series graphics boards were particularily prone to these
> issues; we used to see matlab and IDL turn the screen black and white
> when we ran on the 4D/35.

IRIX 5.3 color bug??

Post by Yu-Heng Tsen » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 05:35:32

I still cannot solve the display problem in my IRIS5.3 machine.
When I am using Matlab R12 installed in another linux machine and plan to
display it back in my local SGI Indigo2 ZX machine. The X-window which
display the figure is totally dark. I doubt this is due to some colormap
problems. I cannot see the figure on screen, however, I can print it out
correctly. So it must be some problems in the display process. Also when I
use Matlab R12 in another Sun machine and display it back to my SGI. It
works fine! I can see the figure! Is that possible due to the
imcompacibility between LINUX and SGI X-window? How can I reset the
colormap or any display setup in SGI?
Thanks very much!

Yu-heng

IRIX 5.3 color bug??

Post by Marcus Herber » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 12:03:09

[.. MatLab R12 on remote X ..]

Quote:> Also when I use Matlab R12 in another Sun machine and display it back
> to my SGI. It works fine! I can see the figure! Is that possible due
> to the imcompacibility between LINUX and SGI X-window? How can I reset
> the colormap or any display setup in SGI?

Can you show the content of the file /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers? Does it
look like this:

:0 secure /usr/bin/X11/X -bs -nobitscale -c -pseudomap 4sight -solidroot \
   sgilightblue -cursorFG red -cursorBG white

Maybe adding '-hw class=TrueColor,depth=24' helps.

For further information read: man Xsgi

--

        Geek-Code: GCS b O e+ h