CorelDRAW 10 vs PSP 7 Anniversary Edition

CorelDRAW 10 vs PSP 7 Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay Beard » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 01:16:26

I would like to ask for some advice from the graphics experts who are
familiar with CorelDRAW.  I have been using the downloaded trial
version of PSP 7 for the last week and I like the program very much.
I ordered PSP 7.  The price is right.

Now, I am curious about your opinions of CorelDRAW 10 (besides the
$500
price tag).  I tinkered with CorelDRAW years ago (last version I used
was CorelDRAW 3) back when I was using Harvard Graphics) and I liked
the interface, etc.  From reading the reviews version 10 is very
intuitive and easy to use, as
well as being a very powerful graphics package.  I am a recreational
home
user who enjoys doing (read "playing" around with) graphics on the
computer.  For hours and hours and hours!  I am considering purchasing
CorelDRAW 10 as well.  My questions are:

1.  Would CorelDRAW 10 be a good addition to my graphics library along
with
Paint Shop Pro 7 Anniversary Editon package?  Or, would I even benefit
from
purchasing CorelDRAW 10 since I have PSP 7?  Would I just be waisting
my
money purchasing CorelDRAW 10?

2.  In your opinion, would PSP 7 do most of everything that CorelDRAW
10 would?  Or, do you think that CorelDRAW 10 offers a lot more
features (say about $400 more) than PSP 7?

Thanks in advance.
Jay
(P.S. I'm an extremist!) :-)

CorelDRAW 10 vs PSP 7 Anniversary Edition

Post by Sean » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 02:26:59

Jay Bearden wrote

Quote:> I would like to ask for some advice from the graphics experts who are
> familiar with CorelDRAW.  I have been using the downloaded trial
> version of PSP 7 for the last week and I like the program very much.
> I ordered PSP 7.  The price is right.

> Now, I am curious about your opinions of CorelDRAW 10 (besides the
> $500
> price tag).  I tinkered with CorelDRAW years ago (last version I used
> was CorelDRAW 3) back when I was using Harvard Graphics) and I liked
> the interface, etc.  From reading the reviews version 10 is very
> intuitive and easy to use, as
> well as being a very powerful graphics package.  I am a recreational
> home
> user who enjoys doing (read "playing" around with) graphics on the
> computer.  For hours and hours and hours!  I am considering purchasing
> CorelDRAW 10 as well.  My questions are:

> 1.  Would CorelDRAW 10 be a good addition to my graphics library along
> with
> Paint Shop Pro 7 Anniversary Editon package?  Or, would I even benefit
> from
> purchasing CorelDRAW 10 since I have PSP 7?  Would I just be waisting
> my
> money purchasing CorelDRAW 10?

> 2.  In your opinion, would PSP 7 do most of everything that CorelDRAW
> 10 would?  Or, do you think that CorelDRAW 10 offers a lot more
> features (say about $400 more) than PSP 7?

Corel is a suite of programmes, not just one application. It has fully stand
alone vector and bitmap editing and creating programmes, as well as a number
of other exe's, and is superb at what it does.

Corel10 is not really intended for what you call "recreational home users",
and is always regarded as very good value for money by anyone who needs its
capability.

PSP and Corel are both excellent, but worlds apart, in both price and
capability.

If you want to produce professional Internet graphics,
If you want to scan photos and make alterations,
If you want to enhance graphics and photos,
If you want to produce special effects, or host plugins to do the job
...PSP will do the job perfectly and to the highest standards

--
Sean
www.firebird.net

---

CorelDRAW 10 vs PSP 7 Anniversary Edition

Post by Sally Beacha » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 03:08:10

Quote:>  I am a recreational
> home
> user who enjoys doing (read "playing" around with) graphics on the
> computer.  For hours and hours and hours!  I am considering purchasing
> CorelDRAW 10 as well.  My questions are:

> 1.  Would CorelDRAW 10 be a good addition to my graphics library along
> with
> Paint Shop Pro 7 Anniversary Editon package?

    Hmmmmmmmmmm it's an excellent professional-level suite of applications.
It's expensive.  And I wouldn't classify it as "easy to use."

 Or, would I even benefit

Quote:> from
> purchasing CorelDRAW 10 since I have PSP 7?  Would I just be waisting
> my
> money purchasing CorelDRAW 10?

    My opinion, as a recreational home user, yes, you would be wasting your
money at this point.  Not because it's not an excellent suite, but because
it's far more than you need, and far more than you should pay for what
amounts to a toy.  If you wanna beg Santa for it for Christmas, that's a
different story!

Quote:

> 2.  In your opinion, would PSP 7 do most of everything that CorelDRAW
> 10 would?  Or, do you think that CorelDRAW 10 offers a lot more
> features (say about $400 more) than PSP 7?

    No, PSP doesn't do all that CD10 does, but PSP is one application (well,
3 really if you count Animation Shop, and Media Center in the AE edition.)
And do you really need the $400 more worth of features that CD10 offers?

    HOWEVER, if you are hot and bothered to get into a vector drawing
application, then I highly recommend Xara X (www.xara.com)  It retails for
$149, which is more than PSP but a helluva lot less than CD10, or
Illustrator 9, or Freehand, or Canvas.  And if you play your cards right,
Ron Lacey can tell you how to get it for less than that.  (Ron's in charge
of shameless plugs, I just do the sneaky ones.)

--
Sally Beacham
PSP 7, Media Center Plus Private Beta Tester

CorelDRAW 10 vs PSP 7 Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay Beard » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 08:28:27

Thanks, Sally.  Good skinny.

Jay

> >  I am a recreational
> > home
> > user who enjoys doing (read "playing" around with) graphics on the
> > computer.  For hours and hours and hours!  I am considering purchasing
> > CorelDRAW 10 as well.  My questions are:

> > 1.  Would CorelDRAW 10 be a good addition to my graphics library along
> > with
> > Paint Shop Pro 7 Anniversary Editon package?

>     Hmmmmmmmmmm it's an excellent professional-level suite of applications.
> It's expensive.  And I wouldn't classify it as "easy to use."

>  Or, would I even benefit
> > from
> > purchasing CorelDRAW 10 since I have PSP 7?  Would I just be waisting
> > my
> > money purchasing CorelDRAW 10?

>     My opinion, as a recreational home user, yes, you would be wasting your
> money at this point.  Not because it's not an excellent suite, but because
> it's far more than you need, and far more than you should pay for what
> amounts to a toy.  If you wanna beg Santa for it for Christmas, that's a
> different story!

> > 2.  In your opinion, would PSP 7 do most of everything that CorelDRAW
> > 10 would?  Or, do you think that CorelDRAW 10 offers a lot more
> > features (say about $400 more) than PSP 7?

>     No, PSP doesn't do all that CD10 does, but PSP is one application (well,
> 3 really if you count Animation Shop, and Media Center in the AE edition.)
> And do you really need the $400 more worth of features that CD10 offers?

>     HOWEVER, if you are hot and bothered to get into a vector drawing
> application, then I highly recommend Xara X (www.xara.com)  It retails for
> $149, which is more than PSP but a helluva lot less than CD10, or
> Illustrator 9, or Freehand, or Canvas.  And if you play your cards right,
> Ron Lacey can tell you how to get it for less than that.  (Ron's in charge
> of shameless plugs, I just do the sneaky ones.)

CorelDRAW 10 vs PSP 7 Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay Beard » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 08:29:44

Thanks, Sean.  Good input.

Jay

> Jay Bearden wrote
> > I would like to ask for some advice from the graphics experts who are
> > familiar with CorelDRAW.  I have been using the downloaded trial
> > version of PSP 7 for the last week and I like the program very much.
> > I ordered PSP 7.  The price is right.

> > Now, I am curious about your opinions of CorelDRAW 10 (besides the
> > $500
> > price tag).  I tinkered with CorelDRAW years ago (last version I used
> > was CorelDRAW 3) back when I was using Harvard Graphics) and I liked
> > the interface, etc.  From reading the reviews version 10 is very
> > intuitive and easy to use, as
> > well as being a very powerful graphics package.  I am a recreational
> > home
> > user who enjoys doing (read "playing" around with) graphics on the
> > computer.  For hours and hours and hours!  I am considering purchasing
> > CorelDRAW 10 as well.  My questions are:

> > 1.  Would CorelDRAW 10 be a good addition to my graphics library along
> > with
> > Paint Shop Pro 7 Anniversary Editon package?  Or, would I even benefit
> > from
> > purchasing CorelDRAW 10 since I have PSP 7?  Would I just be waisting
> > my
> > money purchasing CorelDRAW 10?

> > 2.  In your opinion, would PSP 7 do most of everything that CorelDRAW
> > 10 would?  Or, do you think that CorelDRAW 10 offers a lot more
> > features (say about $400 more) than PSP 7?

> Corel is a suite of programmes, not just one application. It has fully stand
> alone vector and bitmap editing and creating programmes, as well as a number
> of other exe's, and is superb at what it does.

> Corel10 is not really intended for what you call "recreational home users",
> and is always regarded as very good value for money by anyone who needs its
> capability.

> PSP and Corel are both excellent, but worlds apart, in both price and
> capability.

> If you want to produce professional Internet graphics,
> If you want to scan photos and make alterations,
> If you want to enhance graphics and photos,
> If you want to produce special effects, or host plugins to do the job
> ...PSP will do the job perfectly and to the highest standards

> --
> Sean
> www.firebird.net

> ---

CorelDRAW 10 vs PSP 7 Anniversary Edition

Post by Mike » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 15:30:40

We are talking apples and oranges here.  While PSP may beable to take the
place of the Photo-Paint application in CorelDRAW, it can not really compete
with Draw.  The question of wether to go with it or not depends on what you
want to do with it. I use Draw 9 , Photo-Paint 9, PSP, and Fireworks 4
depending on what I'm going to do.  I use Draw for print projects, Photo-
Paint for some of the built in filters, and it's ability to work with MPEGs,
PSP for photo manipulation when I don't want to deal with PP, and Fireworks
for other web graphics, since I use Dreamweaver.

I would recomend getting CorelDRAW Essentials, which is CorelDRAW 9 and
Photo-Paint 9, it should retail in the $100 range, or trying to find CD 9
somewhere.  There's a long standing theory in Corel land, an even # version
is flaky, which is why I'm trying to decide if I want 10 or not, The only
major benifit to me is RAVE, which Does flash animations, but I have 3 3rd
party flash animation programs now, Swish 2, Flax 1, and Mix-FX.  and I'm
planing on getting Coffecup Software's new Flash program (Yeah I've probably
come close to spending the same amt on these as I would to buy flash, but
You do exploding text in Flash in 3 mins <G>)

Quote:> 1.  Would CorelDRAW 10 be a good addition to my graphics library along
> with
> Paint Shop Pro 7 Anniversary Editon package?  Or, would I even benefit
> from
> purchasing CorelDRAW 10 since I have PSP 7?  Would I just be waisting
> my
> money purchasing CorelDRAW 10?

> 2.  In your opinion, would PSP 7 do most of everything that CorelDRAW
> 10 would?  Or, do you think that CorelDRAW 10 offers a lot more
> features (say about $400 more) than PSP 7?

CorelDRAW 10 vs PSP 7 Anniversary Edition

Post by Susanne Hackbart » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 04:01:05

Quote:

> Now, I am curious about your opinions of CorelDRAW 10 (besides the
> $500 price tag).

I have Corel 5 which I haven't used for years, it was released in 1994. In
checking their website there is an upgrade available for $239.99, but it
doesn't say FROM which version. You might want to check into that. I'm not
interested in upgrading, just thought I would check.

Susanne

CorelDRAW 10 vs PSP 7 Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay Beard » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 07:49:27

Thanks Susanne and Mike.  I think I'll check around and see if I can
find a good deal on CD 9 or maybe even an upgrade.  BUT, I doubt I can
get an upgrade from CD 3, which is what I have.

Jay

CorelDRAW 10 vs PSP 7 Anniversary Edition

Post by Susanne Hackbart » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 08:18:52

Quote:> Thanks Susanne and Mike.  I think I'll check around and see if I can
> find a good deal on CD 9 or maybe even an upgrade.  BUT, I doubt I can
> get an upgrade from CD 3, which is what I have.

Jay: I apologize, I thought I posted a follow-up note. I called Corel
1-800-772-6735 about the upgrade. I asked about upgrading from Version 5,
which I could, and I am 99.99% sure the lady said that you can. I mentioned
I know someone who has VS 3.  It might be worth a try. Have your serial
number available, if you still have it. She verified me from my mailing
address, which I was very surprised. Purchased in 1994.

Susanne

1. md5 checksums for psp 7.04 anniversary edition to determine authenticity

The vendor sent me a scratched up copy of the psp 7.04 anniversary
edition. i discovered this when a host of file read errors appeared on
the screen. However, the install did complete and upon execution it
exited when it could not contact jasc.com wih my registration info.
the program continues to crash upon execution whenever I click on the
toolbar or if it is idle for more than 4 seconds.

The vendor will replace it, but was unable to determine if it was a
counterfeit sine the back was very scratched up. JASC told me that
their cds are not serialized so they can not be sure either. they said
as long as there was  regcard then it is legit.  I do notice a
reflective reverse nikey like checkmark logo in the center of the cd
ring. I was able to determine that only register.exe contact jasc.com
during the initial reg process and never after that.

I figure that if it is a bootleg and if the software is trojaned, the
md5 checksms for the exe and dll files could tell me. Could someone
post the md5 checksums for these files? Thanks.

psp.exe
register.exe
ar500enu.xe
anim.exe
jmcp.exe
AE-Produt_Tou.exe
tubeconverter.exe

I also noticed that the installer replaced my
c:\winnt\system32\msvcp60.dll with version 6.0.8972 dated 8-29-00
2:19am at 401462 bytes.
I have been unable to locate this version of the dll on Microsoft's
website to confirm its checksum.

dlls:
basefx
ekfpix*
ekexifio
DC120V154_32
f210
fpxlib
inetwh32
JCM
jlem
morefx
jcaap
jff
fpxlib
jwebtools
f210
jbrwsutil
jcontrols
jpeglib
roboex32
jbrws
jcmyk
jmem
pcdlib32

I did use nav and the virus scanner says everything checks out, but
the md5 checksums will tell me for sure.

Thanks.

2. Overlaying bitmap graphic files

3. PSP Anniversary Edition questions.....

4. Shrinking Image (Icon) After Loading

5. International English 10th Anniversary Edition of PSP

6. IMS Twin Turbo128 (Updated Driver)

7. PSP Anniversary Edition :-((

8. Pasting a logo in the upper left corner of several images... action needed.

9. 20th Anniversary Limited Edition Macintosh

10. Paintshop Pro Anniversary Edition question

11. installing Anniversary edition

12. Anniversary Edition Bonus Pack

13. freehand 10 vs illustrator 10