Converting indexed color to RGB

Post by Keith All » Sun, 12 Sep 1993 06:04:10

I'm trying to convert indexed color images to RGB format
using Adobe Photoshop 2.0.  But even though my indexed
color images are only 256 shades I end up with a dithering
pattern on the RGB image displayed on the monitor (although
they seem to print OK).  The manual isn't giving me any
clues on this one  -- anybody out there know how to get
around this?

Keith Allen

Post by Steven Hatc » Tue, 14 Sep 1993 13:42:22

> I'm trying to convert indexed color images to RGB format
> using Adobe Photoshop 2.0.  But even though my indexed
> color images are only 256 shades I end up with a dithering
> pattern on the RGB image displayed on the monitor (although
> they seem to print OK).  The manual isn't giving me any
> clues on this one  -- anybody out there know how to get
> around this?

First, is your monitor set to something more than 256 colors?
If not, Photoshop will 'still' dither your image. If you are in something
more than 256 colors (ie thousands, millions) you may still see artifacts of
the diffusion dither. What I usually do is use the 'Despeckle' filter
followed by the 'Unsharp Mask' filter. This usually cleans things up a bit...

- Multimedia Designer                        tel:908.654.7117/fax:5318 -
- The Turnaround Team, Inc.         123 South Ave, Westfield, NJ 07090 -

1. Converting Indexed Color to RGB

I'm trying to convert indexed color images to RGB format
using Adobe Photoshop 2.0.  But even though my indexed
color images are only 256 shades I end up with a dithering
pattern on the RGB image displayed on the monitor (although
they seem to print OK).  The manual isn't giving me any
clues on this one  -- anybody out there know how to get
around this?

Keith Allen

2. Transparancies

3. Converting RGB to Indexed color HELP.

4. Composer Plugins??

5. Losing Color when going from RGB to Index Color

6. Converting RGB to Indexed

7. Converting from RGB color space to Luv color space

8. How do i Convert a CMYK Color to RGB Color

9. Convert/Approximate RGB Colors to standard AutoCad Colors

10. Indexed Color vs. RGB

11. Indexed Color vs. RGB in special case