Q: BMRT RLA support and Motion Blur?

Q: BMRT RLA support and Motion Blur?

Post by Vincent Arsenaul » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00



Hi!
I'd like to know if BMRT does/will support RLA
(object-buffer, z-buffer, etc) and how to implement a motion blur (or where
exactly are the docs).

Thanks

--
Vincent-Olivier A. Z.

 
 
 

Q: BMRT RLA support and Motion Blur?

Post by Larry Gri » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00




>Hi!
>I'd like to know if BMRT does/will support RLA
>(object-buffer, z-buffer, etc) and how to implement a motion blur (or where
>exactly are the docs).

What is RLA?

Motion blur is quite clearly documented both in the spec
(http://www.pixar.com/products/renderman/toolkit/RISpec/)
as well as in _The RenderMan Companion_.

        -- lg

--
Larry Gritz                                     Pixar Animation Studios


 
 
 

Q: BMRT RLA support and Motion Blur?

Post by Stephen H. West » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00





> >Hi!
> >I'd like to know if BMRT does/will support RLA
> >(object-buffer, z-buffer, etc) and how to implement a motion blur (or where
> >exactly are the docs).

> What is RLA?

It was Wavefront's native image file format, as I recall; it was
flexible enough to include object ID's, Z-buffer, etc. as extra
channels, I think. Plus I think it included gamma and colorimetry
information, or at least it could. Last I knew, current
Alias|Wavefront products still supported it as a legacy.

<snip>

--
-Stephen H. Westin
Any information or opinions in this message are mine: they do not
represent the position of Cornell University or any of its sponsors.

 
 
 

Q: BMRT RLA support and Motion Blur?

Post by Thomas Kumle » Sun, 18 Apr 1999 04:00:00



> larry asked:
> > What is RLA?

> It was Wavefront's native image file format, as I recall; it was
> flexible enough to include object ID's, Z-buffer, etc. as extra
> channels, I think. Plus I think it included gamma and colorimetry
> information, or at least it could. Last I knew, current
> Alias|Wavefront products still supported it as a legacy.

As a 2D/3D plug-in programmer, I also might give some details:

RLA was recently revamped as a new way to interface 3DMax 2.5 with its
compositing partner discreet effect NT/Mac to allow 3D scenes to be best
postprocessed in 2D (2.5D) since they also store depth with edge
coverage and hidden backgroud RGB, surface normal vectors, U/V, object
ID and many other stuff.

Digital Fusion from eyeon followed this track with version 2.5 and now
joined forces with Alias|Wavefront MAYA. Watch out for Maya 2 and its
IPR rendering technology. Looks like they will also allow to pipe all
theese interesting pixel values over to 2D post.

                -----

AFAIK BMRT doesn't support other aux channels but Z.

BUT prman 3.8 supports up to 9(?) aux channels per render to be output
as individual files if properly declared in shaders and RIB files.

As soon as I'll get my hands on prman 3.8 or 3.9, I'll work on a plug-in
family to import and process thoose channels in DigitalFusion /
MayaFusion.
        Any demand for effect ?

Aux channels open the door to total new ways to think & produce 3D/2D.
--
PIXEL PARTNER (R) - Digital Film Services
Thomas Kumlehn
                                R&D Stardust Entertainment
cellPh: +49 177 6 990 990       +49 331 2815-213

http://www.PixelPartner.de       http://www.dust.de
                                Stevie Stardust = first Maya TV series

 
 
 

Q: BMRT RLA support and Motion Blur?

Post by Vincent-Olivier A. Z » Sun, 18 Apr 1999 04:00:00


Well, effect* plugin (After Effects?) and all discreet compo products
actually: flint*, fire*, smoke* (sparks*)  would surely be popular, but
couldn't it be more efficient if it was implemented directly in the renderer
("canonical" RLA I mean)?

...maybe an open platform (host/plugins architecture) would be a good idea
after all....

...just asking...

Vincent-Olivier A. Z.



> > larry asked:
> > > What is RLA?

> > It was Wavefront's native image file format, as I recall; it was
> > flexible enough to include object ID's, Z-buffer, etc. as extra
> > channels, I think. Plus I think it included gamma and colorimetry
> > information, or at least it could. Last I knew, current
> > Alias|Wavefront products still supported it as a legacy.

> As a 2D/3D plug-in programmer, I also might give some details:

> RLA was recently revamped as a new way to interface 3DMax 2.5 with its
> compositing partner discreet effect NT/Mac to allow 3D scenes to be best
> postprocessed in 2D (2.5D) since they also store depth with edge
> coverage and hidden backgroud RGB, surface normal vectors, U/V, object
> ID and many other stuff.

> Digital Fusion from eyeon followed this track with version 2.5 and now
> joined forces with Alias|Wavefront MAYA. Watch out for Maya 2 and its
> IPR rendering technology. Looks like they will also allow to pipe all
> theese interesting pixel values over to 2D post.

> -----

> AFAIK BMRT doesn't support other aux channels but Z.

> BUT prman 3.8 supports up to 9(?) aux channels per render to be output
> as individual files if properly declared in shaders and RIB files.

> As soon as I'll get my hands on prman 3.8 or 3.9, I'll work on a plug-in
> family to import and process thoose channels in DigitalFusion /
> MayaFusion.
> Any demand for effect ?

> Aux channels open the door to total new ways to think & produce 3D/2D.
> --
> PIXEL PARTNER (R) - Digital Film Services
> Thomas Kumlehn
> R&D Stardust Entertainment
> cellPh: +49 177 6 990 990 +49 331 2815-213

> http://www.PixelPartner.de http://www.dust.de
> Stevie Stardust = first Maya TV series

 
 
 

1. BMRT, depth of field and motion blur

I'm quite confused about this...
Does BMRT support depth of field and motion blur?
The manual (2.6 version) says:

"Motion Blur, Depth of Field, and Level of Detail are not supported in BMRT
2.6. Also, the Blobby and Curves primitives are not currently supported (but
they do work fine with rgl). We hope to have all of these features working
in future releases."


"The high quality renderer included with BMRT is called rendrib and it's a
full implementation of the Renderman standard which also supports the
following optional capabilities:
 - Solid modeling (...)
 - Depth of field
 - Motion blur (...)"

Something related to the version 3.2 of the Renderman interface
specification?

Best regards,

Loris Bindoni

2. SIMPLE GL SOURCE CODE FOR PROJECTED TEXTURE

3. BMRT & Motion blur

4. Light (former Lightscape)

5. Motion Blur in BMRT

6. Plug ins for Windows lightwave

7. bmrt & motion blur

8. Off Screen Image

9. Newbie BMRT question: Motion Blur

10. Motion Blur in BMRT question.

11. bmrt and motion blur

12. Motion blur in BMRT?

13. Motion Blur.. Motion Blur.. Motion Blur