videod falls over on Indy under IRIX 5.3

videod falls over on Indy under IRIX 5.3

Post by Jon P. Knig » Sat, 06 May 1995 04:00:00

I've hit upon a problem with a new Indy that we've just got.  The machine
has got the Cosmo Compress and Indy Video boards installed so that we
can make videotapes of some graphics work.  Unfortunately when the Indy
Video and Cosmo Compress software are installed, the videod process
falls over.  The error messages in the syslog are:

May 5 13:22:25 3B:twist rld[7318]:  7318:videod: rld: Fatal Error: attemped
access to unresolvable symbol in /var/arch/libvl/ev1.so: ddNewSema
May 5 13:22:25 4D:twist inetd[152]: /usr/etc/videod: exit status 0x100

The daemon appears to fall over and then get reinvoked and so the syslog
quickly gets filled up with these.  I've reinstalled eveything from the
CD-ROMs that came with the boards and I've also installed everything
from the IRIX 5.3 CD-ROM that seemed even vaguely connected to video but
with no joy.  If I rename /var/arch/libvl/ev1.so to something else and
then fire off videod everything is hunky dory (videopanel works, capture
can see the camera, etc) but of course only the Vino subsystem is usable
and so I can not generate video output.

There are no man pages for videod or libev1.so that I could find and the
InSight online books were also of little help.  As none of our Silicon
Graphics machines come with a low level de* like adb I can't try to
hack the libev1.so to get rid of the call to the offending ddNewSema
routine (I don't even know what it does - ddNewSema also doesn't appear to
have a man page either).

Just in case it helps, here's some machine details:

Quote:> twist 5# hinv
> Iris Audio Processor: version A2 revision 4.1.0
> Cosmo Compression: unit 2, revision 0
> 1 150 MHZ IP22 Processor
> FPU: MIPS R4010 Floating Point Chip Revision: 0.0
> CPU: MIPS R4400 Processor Chip Revision: 5.0
> On-board serial ports: 2
> On-board bi-directional parallel port
> Data cache size: 16 Kbytes
> Instruction cache size: 16 Kbytes
> Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 1 Mbyte
> Main memory size: 96 Mbytes
> Integral ISDN: Basic Rate Interface unit 0, revision 1.0
> Integral Ethernet: ec0, version 1
> Integral SCSI controller 0: Version WD33C93B, revision D
> Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0
> Graphics board: Indy 24-bit
> Indy Video (ev1): unit 0, revision 0
> Vino video: unit 0, revision 0, IndyCam connected
> twist 6# uname -a
> IRIX twist 5.3 11091812 IP22 mips

So, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do to fix
/var/arch/libvl/ev1.so so that we can use the Indy Video option.  I must
admit I was expecting it to be a little more ``plug-n-play'' than this.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Jon
--
<A HREF="http://www.veryComputer.com/;> Jon Knight </A>
* Its not how big your share is, its how much you share that's important. *