Crash test for a dummy

Post by Dave VanHor » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Well, I can't get POV 3.1a to render this simple file at all.  It
>crashes big time, with an access error under Win32.  Upon reviewing
the
>assembly code, I have about half an idea what's going on (it's a
memory
>copy operation), but figured I'd put the files out to you nice guys
>try for yourselves before reporting a bug.

>If you have the same trouble with it I do, then I suppose it's time
>post a bug report, eh?

It crashed on me the first couple of tries, but now is rendering
perfectly.
I commented out the last union, then turned it back on, and added in
the three pieces one at a time.
Then I reloaded your original source, and it's working.
The only difference between working and not working is that I had
radiosity and animations set in my ini file, from another project.
When I changed to a simple 800x600 AA.3 from quickres, it was fine.

Interesting note though, since writing this email, when I try to
maximize POV, I get "File seaview.pov has changed outside of POV,
reload?" and no matter which way I answer, I can't maximize POV again.

I have a PII-400 with 330M ram. I didn't check the size of the
project, but that's probably not a problem on this system. Disk space
free is >1G on all drives.

Crash test for a dummy

Post by Dave VanHor » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Even more interesting, after sending that mail I was able to maximize
pov, and running it with the original settings +Q9 and radiosity on,
it renders..

WIERD!

Crash test for a dummy

Post by Brook Monro » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> >Well, I can't get POV 3.1a to render this simple file at all.  It
> >crashes big time...
> It crashed on me the first couple of tries, but now is rendering
> perfectly.
> I commented out the last union, then turned it back on, and added in
> the three pieces one at a time.
> Then I reloaded your original source, and it's working.
> The only difference between working and not working is that I had
> radiosity and animations set in my ini file, from another project.
> When I changed to a simple 800x600 AA.3 from quickres, it was fine.

> Interesting note though, since writing this email, when I try to
> maximize POV, I get "File seaview.pov has changed outside of POV,
> reload?" and no matter which way I answer, I can't maximize POV again.

Well, that 330M of RAM will go a long way--wow.  I hope to be able to buy
another 64MB before 1999...

I have no idea what to do, based on your report.  The file was generated
from a beta version of Moray, I can't save it back to POV 3.0 format to
see if that renders, and the non-beta Moray won't load the beta version
files.  I suppose I can start over with a different file and see if
reducing the number of triangles and exported sections gets rid of the
problem.

Of course, the reason I want to render a version of the SeaView from
"Voyage to the Bottom of the Ratings" is completely obscure, but I'm going
to do it anyway.

jbm!

1. Crash Test for a Dummy (POV 3.1a)

I've got a simple set of POV files created with Moray that crashes when
I try to render it in POV v3.1a.  The rendering proceeds down the
submarine sail OK, then crashes when attempting to render the hull (a
triangle mess--er, mesh).  I'm looking for volunteers to render it on
their systems to see if the same crash occurs, before I try to report
the problem as a bug.

The assembly code at the crash is doing a REPNE memory move, and the
error itself is an access violation, so it's probably a vertex list or
something, and could be data related...

Let me know if you want to have a crack at it...thanks!

jbm!

2. ophtalmia

3. Crash Test Dummies to air this Saturday (9/11/93)

4. does firegl 1000 have video outs?

5. Wanted: crash test dummy model

6. Pattern recognition of scanned finger-prints

7. Crash Test Dummies to air this Saturday (9/11/93)

8. TMediaPlayer

9. Crash Test Dummies Cartoon

10. "Crash Dummies" videotape available

11. Crash Dummies Cartoon....I Goofed..

12. Octane+Dig.Video crashes during confidence-test

13. 64mgs...crash, crash,crash