Modern equivalent of "Fundamentals of Interactive Computer Graphics"?

Modern equivalent of "Fundamentals of Interactive Computer Graphics"?

Post by David Eisne » Thu, 01 Mar 2001 06:00:58

Hi.  I'm currently reading J.D. Foley and A. Van Dam's
_Fundamentals of Interactive Computer Graphics_.  It's a great book,
with some timeless information.  However, much of the content
reflects the state of affairs when it was written back in 1981.

A significant portion of the book is geared towards vector displays
with DPUs that read segmented display programs.  There's a brief mention
of "newer" systems like Xerox PARC's Alto, and a new type of input
device called the "mouse", but much more attention is given to
light pens and programmable function keyboards.

My question: Is there a modern equivalent of this text?

The book touches on a number of areas, from hardware to 3D coordinate
transformations to photo-realistic scene composition.  However, I'm more
interested in interactive 2D applications, for example manipulating
structured technical diagrams.  I'd really enjoy a modern version
of Chapter 9, "Modeling and Object Hierarchy".  It's great reading,
but it seems a little dated, especially the lack of any mention
of object oriented approaches.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

CALCE EPSC              | Phone:  301-405-5341       |
University of Maryland  | Fax:    301-314-9269       |

1. Modern equivalent of "Fundamentals of Interactive Computer Graphics"?

[...]

2. want to create ASPHALT

3. Fundamentals of Interactive Computer Graphics

4. Accessing buffers

5. ****"""""BUG IN PROGRAM"""*****

6. NEW TUTORIAL

7. 1996 interview with computer graphics pioneer Mark Zimmer ("Painter"), online now

8. Net rendering - multiple platforms

9. Rough Equivalent of "Visio" for Mac

10. DFRs "Procedural Elements for Computer Graphics"

11. SIGGRAPH's "Computer Graphics" newsletter

12. book "Computer Graphics"

13. BOOK "COMPUTER GRAPHICS"