Question About Separated TIFF Images

Post by John M Davis » Sat, 20 Aug 1994 09:49:54

        Page 69 of the TIFF 6.0 Specification says that "In a separated image,
each pixel consists of N components.  Each component represents the amount of a
particular ink that is to be used to represent the image at that location..."
Does this mean that there can be no extra samples in a separated image?

        Further down on the page, the Specification says "BitsPerSample =
8,8,8,8 (for CMYK).  SHORT.  For now, only 8-bit components are recommended.
The value "8" is repeated SamplesPerPixel times."  This raises the following
questions:

          1. "BitsPerSample = 8,8,8,8 (for CMYK)".  Does this mean
             that CMYK images cannot have extra samples?  What about
             non-CMYK separated images?

          2. "For now, only 8-bit components are recommended."  Does
             this mean that extra samples must be confined to 8 bits
             too?

          3. "For now, only 8-bit components are recommended."  Are
             there any cases in which 8-bit components are
             recommended but not required?  Must extra samples
             (assuming one can have them) be confined to 8 bits too?

        Replies via USENET are welcome, although I would also appreciate
receiving them via electronic mail in order to ensure that I get them.  (It is
possible that some USENET reply articles might not show up at my site.)
--
John Davison

WWW Home Page: <http://en.ecn.purdue.edu:20002/~davisonj/HomePage.html>

1. Separating spot color in tiff

I create sketches in photoshop and add one spot color.  When printed
from pagemaker they will not separate.  Someone mentioned that i need to
use channels but i can't seem to get that to work.  can someone tell me
a method to use?

gregg sales
--
DFD Architect, Inc.
9801 Anderson Mill Road 220

2. Inventor - intersection of two shape nodes

3. Creating multi-page TIff file from separate Tif files

4. ImageList initialization

5. Tiffs don't separate in CD7

6. Why no 32 bit QuickDraw on Mac Plus

7. RGB image from separate greyscale channel images?

8. ACM Symp. on Computational Geometry call/slide show on the Web

9. Any way to separate layers into separate files?

10. BMRT question re: TIFF files for image maps

11. Mapping image with separated alpha buffer

12. Cut image into separate parts

13. Saving Layers to Separate Images