Gaming problems in XP with radeon

Post by Steve » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 21:52:42

I have upgraded my computer from one running 98 to a new one with XP
Pro.

Old System:
P3 450
384MB P100 ram
Geforce2 MX 32mg SDR Graphics

New system:
Athlon 1.1gig
256MB 2100 DDR ram
ATI Radeon VE card with 64mg of SDR

The card specs I have listed at the end but first my question

My old comp played quite happily played RTCW and Medal of Honour at
1024 x 760 where as my new system crawls at that res ? Is this the
system or XP or the card?

I have installed the latest card driver for xp. Set the Bios to 4 x
AGP and installed latest Via 4.1 drivers. The motherboard is a jetway
866AR.

I am a bit upset as I was expecting a performance boost in * not
a decrease in performance. Outside of * the system is very fast
and display is much better than the old system.

Any thoughts appreciated such as how does the memory compare to the
old system, is the new card better than the old ? the Mobo runs at 266
also so thats faster.

Steve

The card:

ATI RADEON VE GPU
...  64MB SDR/DDR, 64-bit interface
...  Support AGP 2X/4X
...  Support 3D resolutions (32-bit color) up to 1920 x 1200
...  300MHz RAMDAC for flicker free display
...  ATI's PIXEL TAPESTRY powering an incredible 1.5 Gigatexels per
second for unsurpassed graphics performance
...  Featuring ATI's VIDEO IMMERSION technology for industry leading
video playback
...  Featuring ATI's HyperZ technology for improved performance
...  Powerful 3D Game support with full compliance with DirectX,
Direct3D and OpenGL acceleration
- OpenGL ICD for NT 4.0, Windows 98/95 and Windows ME
- Optimized for DirectX, supporting multi-texturing, stencil planes
and bump mapping
...  DVI interface with integrated TMDS for economical digital flat
panel support
...  Flexible multi-display support enabling any combination of VGA,
DVI and TV
... Analog video output support for both composite and S-Video
... Built-in hardware DVD technology with full-frame rate, full-screen
MPEG-2/DVD video
... NTSC/PAL TV/VCR output function (optional)
.. WinDVD 2000 (2 channel up to 6 channel) (optional)

Gaming problems in XP with radeon

Post by Xagh » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 19:48:50

Steve,
I have exactly the same problem with my ATI card. I have tried
downloading new Drivers from ATI, but no luck. My openGL will not work
at all. This means that I have one irrate young son who cannot play
Star wars Racer etc!! I have posted several messages on boards and as
yet nobody has given an answer to the problem. I think it is a problem
inherant to ATI cheap boards and XP!!
Xhagra

Post by Steve » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 01:39:09

> Steve,
> I have exactly the same problem with my ATI card. I have tried
> downloading new Drivers from ATI, but no luck. My openGL will not work
> at all. This means that I have one irrate young son who cannot play
> Star wars Racer etc!! I have posted several messages on boards and as
> yet nobody has given an answer to the problem. I think it is a problem
> inherant to ATI cheap boards and XP!!
> Xhagra

I found mine here:

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Works under XP fine now. Oh and I have seen this card against a
Geforce2 64MB MX400 which is supposed to be all it. Our card is better
by far when running correctly. I have set up my hard drive with one
partitiion for XP and one for win98. I intend to use the 98 for *
until XP drivers catch up with the world. I like XP interface so want
to continue with that for mail, surfing the net etc. Try and do the
dual boot, there is plenty of help out there to set it up and its very
easy to do. My email is valid so email me if you need a hand. Let me
know if you get the card going.

Steve

Post by Steve » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 01:41:12

> Steve,
> I have exactly the same problem with my ATI card. I have tried
> downloading new Drivers from ATI, but no luck. My openGL will not work
> at all. This means that I have one irrate young son who cannot play
> Star wars Racer etc!! I have posted several messages on boards and as
> yet nobody has given an answer to the problem. I think it is a problem
> inherant to ATI cheap boards and XP!!
> Xhagra

Oh and make sure you open the case and have a look at the part number
of the Graphics card. Run that through www.google.com and you should
go to your card manufacturer site from there. There is a difference
between made by Radeon and powered by Radeon :-)

Steve

Post by Steve » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 05:06:58

> Steve,
> I have exactly the same problem with my ATI card. I have tried
> downloading new Drivers from ATI, but no luck. My openGL will not work
> at all. This means that I have one irrate young son who cannot play
> Star wars Racer etc!! I have posted several messages on boards and as
> yet nobody has given an answer to the problem. I think it is a problem
> inherant to ATI cheap boards and XP!!
> Xhagra

Oh and you MUST MUST MUST have the latest Via 4in1 chipset drivers if
you have a Via Chipset

Steve

1. Windows XP + nvidia Geforce 2 + Games = Problems

Hello everybody!
I'm really sad today because it's about two weeks that I'm having troubles
with XP Pro and OpenGl.
When I try to start Soldier of Fortune 2, Return to the Castle
Wolfenstein...I always get "GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL
subsystem".
I've checked all forums, but I haven't got any working solution : I've
updated my graphical card's drivers with ALL detonators versions, the last
lone, the 23.11....
I've also updated my motherboard via chipset drivers...I've installed my
original video cards manufacturer drivers : always the same problem...
My Windows\system32 directory contains the lastest OpenGl32.dll file from
OpenGl.org....
Can anyone helps me?My card is definitly OpenGL compliant(I've got no
problems with win98).
My configuration :
Windows XP Pro.
ASUS A7V-KT133

30Gb HDD.
Nvidia GeForce 2 MX440.
[...]
Thank you in advance.

2. compositing

3. GAMES GAMES GAMES GAMES GAMES GAMES GAMES GAMES GAMES

4. need advice please

5. ATI Radeon 8500 dual monitor (VGA) problem

6. Image Maps.. A Mac Tool?

7. Radeon AIW and Win2K Problems

8. Cameras in SoftImage

9. ATI Radeon 8500LE problems...

10. Radeon Pro 9700 problems w/ LW7

11. multimonitor - Radeon 8500 - OpenGL - winXP - win2k - LW ---- problems

12. Radeon stencil problems

13. Problem: Radeon 9700 extremely slow compared to GeForce2