GUI metaphors

Post by Bill Oliv » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 03:16:52

I am interested in finding out what other metaphors
have been tried for the computer "desktop" other than the
Windows desktop metaphor.  For instance, Amiga used
a "workbench" metaphor using "drawers" instead of
"folders." I vaguely remember some windowing system
that used a "neighborhood" metaphor, with different
functions being buildings (i.e. city dump instead of
"trashcan" or "recycling bin").

Can anybody point me to a source, on or off the web,
that discusses this?

I am not a regular reader of comp.graphics.misc, so
if this is off topic, I apologize, and would appreciate
guidance as to what newsgroup I should try.

Thanks in advance,

billo

GUI metaphors

Post by chris esposit » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 07:39:10

> I am interested in finding out what other metaphors
> have been tried for the computer "desktop" other than the
> Windows desktop metaphor.  For instance, Amiga used
> a "workbench" metaphor using "drawers" instead of
> "folders." I vaguely remember some windowing system
> that used a "neighborhood" metaphor, with different
> functions being buildings (i.e. city dump instead of
> "trashcan" or "recycling bin").

> Can anybody point me to a source, on or off the web,
> that discusses this?

> I am not a regular reader of comp.graphics.misc, so
> if this is off topic, I apologize, and would appreciate
> guidance as to what newsgroup I should try.

> Thanks in advance,

> billo

Try comp.human-factors

GUI metaphors

Post by Bill Oliv » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 00:57:23

Quote:

>Try comp.human-factors

Thanks!

billo