Simple Drawing Program with Ruler Scaling?

Simple Drawing Program with Ruler Scaling?

Post by Rock » Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:58:03

Hi All,

Is there a relatively simple (and reasonably priced) drawing program
available for OSX that has scaled rulers (ala MacDraw 2 or early
versions of Canvas)?

The Appleworks drawing unit would be fine if only it had scaling.

(Isn't scaling a fundamental requirement of drafting?!)

Thanks,

Rocky

Simple Drawing Program with Ruler Scaling?

Post by Robert Lov » Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:50:14

Quote:> Hi All,

> Is there a relatively simple (and reasonably priced) drawing program
> available for OSX that has scaled rulers (ala MacDraw 2 or early
> versions of Canvas)?

Perhaps I don't understand "scaled" rulers.   If you just want a ruler
on the side of the page so you can see that your line is 1.8 cm long
then there are plenty.  I like Stone Design's Create as a reasonably
priced drawing app.  In fact I recommend the whole SD suite of apps.
One thing that is really great is how responsive they are.  I've asked
for features and gotten them in less than 4 days.  Try that  with big
housese.  You're lucky to even get your request acknowledged.  So, if
the app doesn't have what you want, try asking the developer.

Standard Disclaimer.  I have no relation to Stone Design other than as a
paying customer.

Post by Rock » Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:00:37

> > Hi All,

> > Is there a relatively simple (and reasonably priced) drawing program
> > available for OSX that has scaled rulers (ala MacDraw 2 or early
> > versions of Canvas)?

> Perhaps I don't understand "scaled" rulers.   If you just want a ruler
> on the side of the page so you can see that your line is 1.8 cm long
> then there are plenty.  I like Stone Design's Create as a reasonably
> priced drawing app.  In fact I recommend the whole SD suite of apps.
> One thing that is really great is how responsive they are.  I've asked
> for features and gotten them in less than 4 days.  Try that  with big
> housese.  You're lucky to even get your request acknowledged.  So, if
> the app doesn't have what you want, try asking the developer.

By 'scaled' I mean like a map for example - 1 inch on the drawing (the
map in this case) equals 10 miles on the ground.  Or, for a house, 1
inch on the drawing equals 10 feet on the house.  See how basic this
is?  I still can't believe any drawing program could ever be written
without this feature!

Oh, and by reasonably priced, I mean less than $100.

I did find 'Intaglio' by Purgatory Design, which seems to be pretty
good, but still isn't as easy to use as MacDraw II or good old Canvas
2.0.

I'll look at Stone Design, thanks.

Rocky

Simple Drawing Program with Ruler Scaling?

Post by matt neubur » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 02:27:55

Quote:> Hi All,

> Is there a relatively simple (and reasonably priced) drawing program
> available for OSX that has scaled rulers (ala MacDraw 2 or early
> versions of Canvas)?

So you're saying Canvas for Mac OS X doesn't have this? m.

--

REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! 2nd edition!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596001770/somethingsbymatt

Simple Drawing Program with Ruler Scaling?

Post by Davou » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 04:51:43

Rocky:

Quote:> > Is there a relatively simple (and reasonably priced) drawing program
> > available for OSX that has scaled rulers (ala MacDraw 2 or early
> > versions of Canvas)?

matt neuburg:

Quote:> So you're saying Canvas for Mac OS X doesn't have this? m.

*****

It does, and it's not all that expensive, but it still may not fall
into Rocky's "reasonably priced" category. I have Canva  and Adobe
Illustrator and Macromedia Freehand MX, but--as far as I can tell-- the
latter two do not have this capability.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com

Simple Drawing Program with Ruler Scaling?

Post by Rock » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 05:14:17

Quote:> Rocky:
> > > Is there a relatively simple (and reasonably priced) drawing program
> > > available for OSX that has scaled rulers (ala MacDraw 2 or early
> > > versions of Canvas)?

> matt neuburg:
> > So you're saying Canvas for Mac OS X doesn't have this? m.

> *****

> It does, and it's not all that expensive, but it still may not fall
> into Rocky's "reasonably priced" category. I have Canva  and Adobe
> Illustrator and Macromedia Freehand MX, but--as far as I can tell-- the
> latter two do not have this capability.

Right. It does (have the feature) and it is (too expensive), but I
never upgraded from Canvas 2.0 because it did everything I needed and
I'm cheap.  Now, 2.0 is not eligible for upgrade, and the latest
version won't read 2.0 files (and if I thought 3.0 had too many
features then the latest version certainly does!).

Rocky

Post by Vries de » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:37:31

>> Hi All,

>> Is there a relatively simple (and reasonably priced) drawing program
>> available for OSX that has scaled rulers (ala MacDraw 2 or early
>> versions of Canvas)?
>So you're saying Canvas for Mac OS X doesn't have this? m.

I am extremally pleased with Microspot's MacDraft, though it may
not fall in the 'reasonably priced' category.
See http://www.microspot.co.uk

Jan

Simple Drawing Program with Ruler Scaling?

Post by Alan Bake » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 01:10:01

Quote:> Rocky:
> > > Is there a relatively simple (and reasonably priced) drawing program
> > > available for OSX that has scaled rulers (ala MacDraw 2 or early
> > > versions of Canvas)?

> matt neuburg:
> > So you're saying Canvas for Mac OS X doesn't have this? m.

> *****

> It does, and it's not all that expensive, but it still may not fall
> into Rocky's "reasonably priced" category. I have Canva  and Adobe
> Illustrator and Macromedia Freehand MX, but--as far as I can tell-- the
> latter two do not have this capability.

> Davoud

Freehand 10 certainly had it. It's hard to believe they would have taken
it out of MX.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

Simple Drawing Program with Ruler Scaling?

Post by Rod Smit » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 07:15:35

Quote:>  Rocky:

> > matt neuburg:
> > > So you're saying Canvas for Mac OS X doesn't have this? m.

> > *****

> > It does, and it's not all that expensive, but it still may not fall
> > into Rocky's "reasonably priced" category. I have Canva  and Adobe
> > Illustrator and Macromedia Freehand MX, but--as far as I can tell-- the
> > latter two do not have this capability.

> > Davoud

> Freehand 10 certainly had it. It's hard to believe they would have taken
> it out of MX.

In Freehand MX, pull up View>Page Rulers>edit. Scaling is there!

--
Rod Smith
Florida Panhandle

1. Looking for shareware drawing program or simple 2D graphics program for kids

--------------DD7AAA533323EAB85EFF3385

We are looking for a simple shareware drawing or 2D graphics program
(not Paintbox-something a little more than that), which will fit on a
diskette for children ages 7-9 and 10-13 (can be two different ones if
necessary) for our summer camp.  Any suggestions????
Kathy
Anigrafix Limited

 * School of Computer Training
 * Internet/Intranet Development, Marketing and Promotion
 * High Quality 2D/3D Graphics, Animation and Multimedia productions

Pierre Koenig St. 33/16,  Jerusalem.
Tel: 02-671-9991, 671-9994, 671-4920
FAX 02-671-9998

http://www.anigrafix.com
--------------DD7AAA533323EAB85EFF3385

begin:          vcard
fn:             Kathy  Salmanson
n:              Salmanson;Kathy
org:            Anigrafix Limited

title:          Owner
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
end:            vcard

--------------DD7AAA533323EAB85EFF3385--

2. References requested: (1) intersection of convex polyhedra and (2) point inside

3. Need help, CorelDraw6 ruler scale not working

4. Cardboard cut-outs

5. HELP Wanted - Looking for a simple drawing program

6. Good Freeware filters?? `

7. Simple draw program for amateurs?

8. Speed Optimizations

9. Cheap, simple drawing program?

10. simple drawing program?

11. Need source codes for simple drawing program.

12. Simple RGB to Gray scale question - (nf)