slow ppc graphic - why??

Post by Oliver Wre » Fri, 15 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hi everybody.

I ran into some problems with my PPC 7100: It's damn slooooow.

I use AV graphics, 24 MB of RAM. Macromedia Director updates graphics
at nearly 30% of regular speed and while using my comm ports changing
between applications (e.g. Netscape for PPC to some other) by
mouseclick is really time consuming (2-6 secs sometimes). I never
really noticed that because I used a old MacII before  ;-)   but I had
the chance to compare to another PPC 7100 and I was pretty surprised.

I checked drive fragmentation and RAM settings for the programs. I am
not too firm with operating systems, and I would appreciate if someone
can give me a hint how to diagnose the problem.

Thank you.

Oliver

slow ppc graphic - why??

Post by rob simmo » Fri, 15 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>I ran into some problems with my PPC 7100: It's damn slooooow.

>I use AV graphics, 24 MB of RAM. Macromedia Director updates graphics
>at nearly 30% of regular speed and while using my comm ports changing
>between applications (e.g. Netscape for PPC to some other) by
>mouseclick is really time consuming (2-6 secs sometimes). I never
>really noticed that because I used a old MacII before  ;-)   but I had
>the chance to compare to another PPC 7100 and I was pretty surprised.

is Director ppc native? (4.04) Anyways, I've always thought Director was slooooow.

-rob simmon

slow ppc graphic - why??

Post by Robert Whitmo » Fri, 15 Sep 1995 04:00:00

> >I ran into some problems with my PPC 7100: It's damn slooooow.

> >I use AV graphics, 24 MB of RAM. Macromedia Director updates graphics
> >at nearly 30% of regular speed and while using my comm ports changing
> >between applications (e.g. Netscape for PPC to some other) by
> >mouseclick is really time consuming (2-6 secs sometimes). I never
> >really noticed that because I used a old MacII before  ;-)   but I had
> >the chance to compare to another PPC 7100 and I was pretty surprised.

> is Director ppc native? (4.04) Anyways, I've always thought Director was
slooooow.

> -rob simmon

I don't know about Director, but if your PPC is using the geoport telecom
adaptor for communications, that is the reason for the slow switch between
applications.  All the work that a modem would normally assume is now put
on the shoulders of your Mac - one of the downfalls to having a software
modem.

- Bob Whitmore

slow ppc graphic - why??

Post by geoanom.. » Sun, 15 Oct 1995 04:00:00

> > >I ran into some problems with my PPC 7100: It's damn slooooow.

> > >I use AV graphics, 24 MB of RAM. Macromedia Director updates graphics
> > >at nearly 30% of regular speed and while using my comm ports changing
> > >between applications (e.g. Netscape for PPC to some other) by
> > >mouseclick is really time consuming (2-6 secs sometimes). I never
> > >really noticed that because I used a old MacII before  ;-)   but I had
> > >the chance to compare to another PPC 7100 and I was pretty surprised.

> > is Director ppc native? (4.04) Anyways, I've always thought Director was
> slooooow.

> > -rob simmon

> I don't know about Director, but if your PPC is using the geoport telecom
> adaptor for communications, that is the reason for the slow switch between
> applications.  All the work that a modem would normally assume is now put
> on the shoulders of your Mac - one of the downfalls to having a software
> modem.

> - Bob Whitmore

Also,
     A bunch of the system code for the graphics and toolbox codes is
still 680x0 code.  So a major bottleneck is the emlation of the system
software that everything uses.  Copland should fix this.

Tony
--
"Never doubt the man with pointed ears."
                ,
 |MWMWMWMWMW        MWMWMWMWMW
MWMWMWMWMW(^         |MWMWMWMW|
~)MWMWMWMW`          'MWMWMWMW`
 'MWMWMW(^      __    MWMWMW(^
    ^~MW|     .)MWMW,  |(^`
       |    / ^~^~^~^~/ ,
      |  .^~           '|
     .\ `                |
     '`

1. FreeHand 5.0 PPC not loading Extensions, why?

I have been using FreeHand 5.0 (from Marcomedia) on my (accelerated)
Mac-II for some time. Now I switched to a 9500/120 and thus I re-installed
FreeHand to have it run PPC-native.
Everything works fine except that the Extensions don't load. I tried
everything, reinstalled the program etc. Then I installed the 68k-version
on the 9500, and there the Extensions load ok.
Now, I don't want to stick with the (slower) 68k-Version.

Anyone who has similar experience?

Thanks for replies (if I get e-mail responses, I'll summarize the result)

2. 3DS4 VRML IPAS Help!

3. Why SI is slow?

4. I'm using a two pass rendering

5. Why is BMRT so slow ?

6. Geometric detail suppression for FE mesh generation

7. Illustrator 9 Slow Slow Slow

8. Infini-D 3.0--why so %$#@ slow?

9. Why is STudioPro so SLOW?